Problems Getting Petrol for Motorbikes

HomeForumsIn ChengduProblems Getting Petrol for Motorbikes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Over the last week I have had problems getting petrol in some stations in Chengdu, because I don’t have a license.  Shell seems to be OK, but some Sinopec stations are hit and miss.

Participant

They ask you for a driver’s license, or they look to see if you have plates?

I get gas on my minibike _all the time_, and the 2 stations I usually go to are I think Sinopec, definitely not Shell.. never had anyone ask me for anything other than how much gas I want…no plates, no license.

Participant

Sorry I meant plates not license.  I have had no problems for four years until this week.  I also met a guy yesterday at the mechanics who has also had the same issue.  I got refused opposite Sinopec Wanda 2nd Ring road south,  Yulin Xi Lu and another one towards flower town.

Participant

well recently i noticed a lot of policemen standing everywhere and checking for plates, so might have something to do with it.

Participant

That’s weird. They let you fill up a gas container, so it’s weird they’d require plates for your bike. I wonder what they’d say if you brought a gas container while on your bike, filled it up, then poured it into your bike…

Keymaster

Wow, it definitely wasn’t like this before. When I had a motorcycle no one cared at all. I suppose it might come down to finding a gas station that doesn’t care and then just going there all the time.

Participant

The one at software park just past Yi Zhou Da Dao along Tianfu 4 Jie is OK, never had any problems. Software parkers w/ bikes can go there.

Participant

I just returned to Chengdu after a month motorcycle tour of Sichuan and Yunnan and can confirm that this problem is spreading. Luckily i had the plates so it wasn’t a problem, but they wanted to take my blue book and write the information down, to which i replied with a ting bu dong and they filled me up. A friend who wasn’t plated up had his gas filled by an attendant who was laughing and talking about how he shouldn’t be filling up unplated bikes! This happened in the countryside, not in a city. So i imagine the rules are a little bit more enforced in a city.
    In Chengdu some gas stations will enforce this rule and some don’t give a shit. A good idea is to just be friendly and crack a joke or two with the attendants everytime you go to your local gas station. Build a nice relationship and they’re more likely to flout the silly rules imposed by the traff!c pol!ce. (I imagine the the Managers of the Gas stations are not too happy about turning away paying customers!!!) Don’t stand there and kick up a fuss, just move to the next one. Gas stations seem to be in clusters of two or three in Ch!na.

That’s weird. They let you fill up a gas container, so it’s weird they’d require plates for your bike. I wonder what they’d say if you brought a gas container while on your bike, filled it up, then poured it into your bike…

I’d love to see someone do this. Even use the communal gas kettle 🙂 Great idea!
    Having said that, the further towards Teebet you get the more difficult Gas buying becomes, ESPECIALLY in cannisters because, well, those spiritual, robed folk sometimes have a penchant for pyrotechnics.

Participant

Oh, and if you really need gas you can tell the attendant that your bike is new. There is a 30 day grace period after you buy a vehicle in Ch!na in which you’re allowed to ride around un-plated. “I just bought it, i collect the plates and paper work next week…”

Participant

Oh, and if you really need gas you can tell the attendant that your bike is new. There is a 30 day grace period after you buy a vehicle in Ch!na in which you’re allowed to ride around un-plated. “I just bought it, i collect the plates and paper work next week…”

No chance of that with my bike, it has been in a few ‘scrapes’ haha

Never had any problems with the gas filling but I’ve noticed a lot more police stops outsisde the 3rd ring road recently.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>japhyrider wrote:</div>

No chance of that with my bike, it has been in a few ‘scrapes’ haha

Never had any problems with the gas filling but I’ve noticed a lot more police stops outsisde the 3rd ring road recently.

New doesn’t have to be out of the factory new, can also be just bought it from some fella on 58.com new

Participant

I’ve noticed a lot more police stops outsisde the 3rd ring road recently.

In the daytime or after work/dinner time? They had a lot around 3rd ring to check motorbike riders for drunk driving, but I haven’t seen any to check bikes for legitimacy..

Participant

I’ve noticed a lot more police stops outsisde the 3rd ring road recently.

In the daytime or after work/dinner time? They had a lot around 3rd ring to check motorbike riders for drunk driving, but I haven’t seen any to check bikes for legitimacy..

8.30am, on the road heading out south from Ikea.

Also saw police pulling motorbikes at the junction of kehua and 2.5 ring road today at 2pm. At least 10 confiscated motorbikes sitting at the side of the road.

Participant

Chinese biker buddy told me the traffic pol!ce are currently having one of their 15 day motorbike crack downs. Be careful out there.

Participant

The only way to get petrol can now is via the police station with your license.  I definitely think it’s more than two weeks.  They have been confiscating motorbikes everyday on the road from Longquanyi and Flower Town.

Participant

The only way to get petrol can now is via the police station with your license

What? You have to go to the police station to get petrol? Confused…

If I get denied, I’ll seriously bring a gas container to the station and fill it up.

Oh, also, there are the self-pump sides of some stations… what would they possibly do if you rolled up and filled up with the card or whatever without bothering with an attendant?

Participant

If you want to buy a Petrol Can you have to buy it from the police station with your license. The reason is because of the amount of self immolations,suicides on buses and the old Xinchang problem.

Participant

Oh haha my bad, petrol cans from police stations… ok, got ya. That’s….really weird, I suppose people who want to light themselves on fire couldn’t possibly use anything other than an official petrol can for housing their gasoline 😛

Participant

I’ve been getting gas at both Sinopec and CICC stations and haven’t had a single issue yet. No question about license, plate, nothing. This still a problem for people or was it a temporary thing?

Participant

Try one of those private run gas station. as long as there isn’t a police officer around, they wouldn’t bother fill up a tank for your bike.

After incidents of kunming and wulumuqi, officials are kept on edge everywhere in China. companies like sinopac and shell have been requested not to sell patrol to someone showed up with a container.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.