PSB 4 Month Sweep of Illegal Workers

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPSB 4 Month Sweep of Illegal Workers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone have any news re: this? Friends, Companies, etc?

Sichuan Province, PSB will be looking for foreigners working illegally, i.e. working at places not registered on your working visa, part time work outside of your registered work location, marriage visa, travel visa, etc.

Keymaster

My landlord contacted me recently and said that the PSB called her and reminded her that I need to register at the PSB before my current registration expires in November, 2016. I just registered at the PSB less than a month ago. So all I can say is that the crackdown appears to be real. In the 6-7 years that I’ve been living in my current place, I don’t remember the PSB ever calling my landlord.

Participant

I’ve had PSB officers come by and remind me to do that, which seemed a little redundant, but they didn’t really ask any questions, just reminded me to go by the station with my lease and passport.

I saw this last week and wonder how they intend on catching violators other than raids on schools or places of employment. More intense surveillance?

Participant

My landlord contacted me recently and said that the PSB called her and reminded her that I need to register at the PSB before my current registration expires in November, 2016. I just registered at the PSB less than a month ago. So all I can say is that the crackdown appears to be real. In the 6-7 years that I’ve been living in my current place, I don’t remember the PSB ever calling my landlord.

The same happened to me. They called my emergency contact to tell me I needed to register again ASAP. I think it was barely 2 weeks after I got my new visa. They usually never call.

How does this affect foreigners here on tourist visas?

Keymaster

How does this affect foreigners here on tourist visas?

There is likely an increased level of scrutiny on people working with the wrong visa type, but so far I haven’t seen any evidence of what action they are taking. It seems like after the summer is over this will blow over.

My wife mentioned that a foreigner at her company was fined 500RMB for not registering at the police station within 24hrs of re-entering the country. I thought it was strange as I have never heard of this happening in Chengdu before. It now makes sense if they are cracking down on these kind of things for the next few months.

Participant

Mm, if one has hypothetically forgotten to renew their accommodation registration form (but still lives in the same apartment and is leaving Chengdu permanently in two weeks) what should they do?

Any ideas ha? About three months out of date.

Participant

Don’t bother. Nothing will happen.

Participant

I finally received that call late last night, when i asked if this is a normal procedure the representive stated that this is suppose to occur every quarter. I was able to complete this over the phone just by stating that no changes (i.e. address and etc..).

Participant

My wife also received a call this week to confirm if I was still a resident at our address. No big deal as I am registered and have an up to date 3 year residence visa but useful to know that the PSB and the local police station where I am registered take the issue of foreigners resident in China seriously. The last time she got a call was 48 hours after a visa expired while the renewal was still being processed by the PSB – they don’t waste time if you disappear from their radar.

Participant

Interesting.

Seems like the PSB have been more concerned with accommodation registering rather than working issues.  Opposite of my thought/concern when I heard of the “crackdown”.

ok….

Participant

When I went for my registration at the police station, they explicitly asked me if I was teaching on my tourist visa or not, and if I would be able to leave the country in time. Then they clarified again that I could definitely not teach with this visa. That was the first time that happened in 5 years. It happened at the PSB before, but never with the local police.

Participant

I returned from Japan a few days ago and went the next day to Yu Lin PSB to re-register. They were pretty firm that it had to be done within 24 hours. Lo and behold, we couldn’t find the entry stamp in my passport (i have a lot and it’s a mess). Fortunately i had my boarding pass in my pocket and that was good enough for them….

Participant

Some pre G20 meeting will be held in Chengdu very soon. This may be related. I can’t get fried noodles outside my place anymore, cause the street seller is probably already in some basement getting tortured by chengguan. There will also be restrictions on driving starting from sunday,  if I remember correctly. Nothing new really, it’s just that time of year again.

Participant

G20 Economists don’t really care about the piss-poor guy selling vegetables on the street. These aren’t the people’s economists…

Participant

You hit the nail on the head. They aure are doing a big push with the street vendors, i have “vendor patrols” on every street corner. Sure would be better to see a big push when it comes to people parking their cars on side walks, bus lanes, and/or monotoring cross walks so that when i’m given the green light i can walk safely in the cross-walk.

Participant

Hm, when I was living in Chengdu I was stopped more than once outside my apartment complex. Local police forced  me to go and get the passport, a copy of my local police living registration (or whatever the official name is) and visa that I was “supposed” to have on me all times…

PSB never gave me any problems since I was running a proper business with all papers in order, taxes payed and so on…

Daniel

Participant

would it be possible to stay in Sichuan Chengdu for a year using student visa and working part time?

Participant

@ben

I had thought that previously one could work while on a student visa, but had always been under the impression that it was illegal.

Anyone up to date on the latest?

And Ben, why did you pm email to find out how to report such a person? I am not interested in reporting anyone for anything nor was that my intention of this thread.

Good Day

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.