Quarantine and Airport Control in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionQuarantine and Airport Control in Chengdu

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Living and working in Chengdu, I happened to spend a wonderful month travelling in Uganda, and I did the mistake to upload some pictures on Wechat to let everybody see how much fun I was having. I left Uganda on August 18th, and right now I am in Spain, my home country.

Tomorrow I am flying back to Chengdu, and I am supposed to re-start working on September 1st, but my employee just sent me some messages telling me that I might spend 3 weeks in quarantine, locked at home in CD, just because I spent some time in Africa during the summer. I work in the Sichuan Uni and the people there told me that this is a very strict order applying to every foreigner who have recently been in Africa.

Has anybody heard about that? Did anybody notice any special procedure at customs when landing CD, like officers looking for African countries stamps when checking passports? I have an important flight to Beijing on the 4th that I wouldn’t like to miss because of this non-sense.

The funny thing is that I am sure that nobody would have bothered about this if they hadn’t seen the pictures I uploaded on Wechat, so I was wondering how “official” this “strict” control is.

Participant

I got the same email this morning I thought it was a joke at first.

How on earth are they going to lock people in their apartments? Police on the doors.. Imagine if the other tenants in the building find out.

They might pay you for three weeks…So that’s the only benefit.

Typical China quarantine a whole continent.

Participant

Well I think  there are hundreds of people flying every day to China who have been in Africa the last month, so I really don’t think there is a way they can “quarantine” them all.

I have been doing some research online and I found nothing regarding this issue, that’s why I wonder how serious it is. Do you think it’s just a policy from Sichuan Uni, due to the large number of foreign students they have?

Participant

It is, probably. Id just go to health center with that message in hand, show it to them and let them decide if they wanna test you or not. They have higher authority in that matters. With their official statement you’ll be totally free to walk around, whether someone thinks you’re leper or not.

Keymaster

I took an international flight to Chengdu recently and when the plane landed, they wouldn’t let people disembark before hearing a message about Africa and ebola. Any passengers who had been to Africa within the last 60 days (or something like that) were instructed to identify themselves, apparently to be checked in some way. I don’t know anything about any quarantine, but it seems like they are checking everyone coming to China on international flights.

Participant

If they’re doing this with people who have been to some countries in Africa recently (Uganda is next to Congo, which now has Ebola cases), with Ebola spreading to several new countries, I wouldn’t think of it as such a huge shock?

Participant

Apparently it’s the PSB policy not Sichuan Uni, but I know how the Uni loves their BS.

Participant

I’m going to be flying in from Africa in a couple of days. I haven’t been told of such a thing yet, but I guess I will find out what happens when I arrive. Will let you the thread know what happened when I get there.

Participant

I am already in Chengdu. Nothing in the airport, I called my job and they were still insisting about the three weeks quarantine.

Today I went to that medical center we all have gone in Tongzilin, explained them my situation, they looked at me and told me… you have no symptoms, haven’t been in an affected country… so what the f””” are you doing here?? Oh, common sense, sometimes it works here.

Participant

Wait, you mean, the airport didn’t ask you to quarantine for 3 weeks — your JOB did?

That’s awesome. I suppose they have no confidence in the government to do shit, so figure, ok, fuck it, quarantine ’em ourselves? Craziness.

Participant

Yes. I got in Chengdu on Saturday, the medical center was closed, so I waited for a couple of days and proceeded to go to see the doctor as they told me once again when I landed in Chengdu. Apparently the government had told them to tell whoever had been in Africa to do so, and I even was told that I would definitely be put in quarantine for 3 weeks. In the medical center they were (thankfully) totally unaware about this.

Participant

I have finally arrived in Chengdu and passed through quarantine smoothly following a question about what my country is.. I told the man “UK”, but I was genuinely confused by the question 😀 Too bad they didn’t ask for ticket to see which country I had flown in from. Not that it is affected.

Participant

@Maz : you think you are smart by doing this “say you from uk ” to avoid a check up ! whats  about if you was infected ! first you will bring a virus and carry out in china second you not get cure if you was the one to be infected ! your stupidity and your action make your self not  responsible , a little kid lie to be sure he enter china ! but not care about any possible sickness he may bring to other ! sorry you look stupid mate ! very stupid are you !!!!

Participant

@Ratatoee: with all due respect, you sir, are as crazy as a shit-house rat.

Participant

you talking for your self  ray ! enjoy your day in your shit house rat mate !

Participant

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 18px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”> whats happen if one day you or your closer one get infected , because someone enter and did not take a  check up and declare from where he from ! I think ray you need to take some serious course !!! about  those follow topic : civility ! respect and morality its 3 topic unfortunately  no have it on you !! far to reach this level go learn please !end  of topic with you ! </span>

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.