Recommended VPNs?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionRecommended VPNs?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I’m making the move to Chengdu from the U.S. on Monday and was wondering if anyone knew of a good VPN that I should use on my phone and computer? I know some VPNs stop working so I figured I would ask what everyone else is using and having success with before I arbitrarily choose one.

Thanks in advance!

-Jessie

Keymaster

Check out SocketPro, it is really fast. Run by a local guy, too.

Participant

Great! I’ll check it out. Thanks for the info!

Any idea where the server is for socketpro?

Everyone seems to be talking about Shadowsocks these days- also a proxy, which is supposed to be faster and more reliable. I haven’t figure out how to set it up myself yet.

Other than that, most everyone seems to be using Astril or Express.

Participant

ExpressVPN is recommended. Can use up to 3 devices. So far no complain.

Check out SocketPro, it is really fast. Run by a local guy, too.

Amazing – that site is legally hosted in China – it has an ICP number. Is this a government approved proxy service?! 😉

Participant

SocketPro is run by a local and yes he has a legal ICP licence for the site, I’ve been a supporter and customer for over a year now.

I used to advise ExpressVPN to my friends, but I have not used a VPN for over a year, since I switched to ShadowSocks.

Feel free to make an account – http://www.socketpro.co/aff/129
    (my affiliate link)

To answer your question about the server, there are 28 servers spread over Singapore, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, US, Taiwan

Plenty to choose from. Korea servers seem to work best for me on my China Telecom connection. Some of the servers are optimised for Unicom, Telecom or China Mobile.

Participant

does it works on phone?

Participant

Yes, free app on Android and a paid (18 RMB) one on iphone.
    Works on all platforms. If you need any help, there is support available.

Participant

I checked the IP address and Socketpro is now run in the United States (thank God). It gave me quite a fright when I found out it was based in China; I sometimes do read politically sensitive content. And with the effort the government tries to crack down on VPN services I hardly think it’s government approved.

Participant

expressVPN works wonders for desktop and mobile.

Participant

For PCs, Smart Phones, Routers, expressVPN or Astrill are both recommended.

But for smartphone only VPN Master is strongly recommended since it has optimized route for Hulu, BBC, Netflix etc.

Participant
    Participant

I have always used Express VPN, but for the past couple of days I’ve been having real problems.. If I do get connected (and it’s not often now) I’m disconnected within half an hour… anyone have updates on a VPN that’s still working?

Keymaster
    Participant

Just thought I should update my comment… Express VPN seems to have figured out the new Great Firewall, and it’s been very good again for the past couple of days

Participant

I have always thought that vpn companies advertising themselves as ”never blocked” are either operating a vpn that is transparent or have done a deal whereby they release your data on demand. If they don’t fall into either of those categories then it would be only a matter of time before it was demonstrated that bragging about their success comes back to bite them in the arse.

Keymaster

I try to stay away from the most-discussed and visible VPNs. You have to imagine that they receive the most scrutiny and attention, while many smaller services/products can remain under the radar.

Participant

@Charlie… yeah, that’s certainly a consideration. Unfortunately, the lesser known VPN’s I’ve tried haven’t worked as well normally, but they are much less likely to be targeted and blocked..

FYI… I installed Outline, and I’m testing it out. Seems to work ok for my needs… and it was really easy to install. Might not be so great for people with no tech experience however, as a server is needed.

Keymaster

That’s true, but with the setup gui (which is what I used on Mac) it is almost as easy as installing an application on your computer. I wrote a blog post about it, describing the service to anyone curious about how it works.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.