Relocating to Chengdu

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsRelocating to Chengdu

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well I’m not having any luck on my own so I thought I might ask for a little assistance from all of you. I’m looking to relocate to Chengdu but can’t find a ‘suitable’ job. I’m an American woman with over 10 years teaching experience in China, I have a degree in Anthropology and a minor in Asian studies.

The problem is I will be relocating with my 6 year old daughter- while my Chinese husband stays back in Tianjin. I’m trying to move closer to his family who live in Chengdu so that she’s not so cut off from the world. Anyway- this means that I can only work during the day and possibly a place for her to start first grade come fall. I’ve gone through for months contacting schools that either want nights and weekends or can’t help me get her into school…in fact many have told me to enroll her in an International school while only offering to pay 6,000 or less a month. It’s just not something I can do on a now single paycheck.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of a school that allows their children to enroll there- I would appreciate the help. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards ~

Keymaster

Hi Rei,

Interesting situation you are in. Finding a job that pays more than 6k rmb should be easy for you considering your experience and qualifications, but I’m uncertain how difficult it will be to strike an agreement with a school that includes schooling for your daughter. It seems possible though, you might want to look into a school like Golden Apple, which has multiple locations in Chengdu.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I’m not particularly knowledgeable on english teaching in Chengdu, but I’m certain that 6k is very low for a foreign english teacher in Chengdu.

Participant

I think 6k is what a lot of schools advertise publicly on the ‘net as their wage range, try to cast a wider net with larger holes, maybe not catch as many fish, but the sea is full of a couple larger ones which will be sufficient 😛 you’d probably have to be here to find better opportunities.

Kindergartens in Chengdu aren’t cheap. The int’l one behind my office is like 58k/yr for *local* students. A cheaper one may be around 3k rmb/month. Average likely around 4 or 5… seems like a tough predicament.

I wish you luck, and wish I had some sort of connections or contacts for teaching.

Participant

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll check out Golden Apple and see what pans out. And that’s my real problem Rick…until I get a job it’s hard for me to get out there, and without being there it’s hard for me to get a good job. It would be a lot easier if my husband would stop trying to live HIS ideal life. But my daughter was born in Tianjin and has been here most of her life, unfortunately I don’t know anyone with kids…while my husband works really late most days and 7 days a week most weeks. He went from working at Tianjin TV Station to an advertisement firm run by his friend- either way he doesn’t add much when it comes to funds (he’s making 3,000 a month).  So me and my daughter and I are stuck at home most days playing house. I’m used to making over 16,000 a month (no nights, no weekends) and my daughter has been going to school at the University of Tianjin’s Kindergarten that we got through connections.

Starting over ourselves is going to be hell it seems…but I still think she needs family more than money.

Participant

Hey Rei, I think Golden Apple is not really suit you, do you ever think about some private kindergarten? some of them can do better job than Golden Apple I think. some of them are international I guess. May be you can find another Mom to inquire more information, check this web https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chengdukidsoutdoors/info, its Chengdu Kids Outdoors Group, may be you could meet some Moms there.
    Also, if you want to put your kids in a Chinese summer school during 7.14-7.25, you can check this web http://irainbowconcept.com/programs/summer-winter-camp/ or just mail to [email protected] for more detail.
    Good luck!

Participant

Thanks for the heads up but paying +798 a week for my daughter to go to summer camp while I don’t even know if I’ll get a job is a bit much for me, even if I’m sure she’d love it. I still have to kind of bet on a high placement fee for her school plus getting an apartment, moving fees, and what not.

I also tried the Yahoo groups link- but it didn’t work but once I searched Chengdu under groups I found it. Thanks. It’s one resource that I would have never of thought of using and it gives an added bonus of finding playgroups as well. I really appreciate it!

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Chengdu is still stuck with the ‘Whites and blacks can be the ONLY good English teachers’ mentality? It seems like I’m getting a lot of resistance because I’m American Indian. -_-‘  Being brown is not helping me.

Keymaster

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Chengdu is still stuck with the ‘Whites and blacks can be the ONLY good English teachers’ mentality? It seems like I’m getting a lot of resistance because I’m American Indian. -_-’ Being brown is not helping me.

I’d say it’s more like they want white english teachers. Anyone with darker skin may face discrimination when seeking jobs. Sad but true, in Chengdu and everywhere in China, including the most developed cities like Hong Kong.

Participant

I used to have a lot more problems than I do now here in Tianjin, but it’s gotten a LOT better. In the past 6-7 years I’ve never had any refusals or even mention of my ethnicity…but I had 2 today from Chengdu. After the school contacted me showing interest they asked for a photo and after I sent one they said we weren’t a good fit. The only thing that changed was my photo submission…but kind of glad that they did because I don’t think I would want to work with them anyway. I had some trouble way back when I worked in Wenzhou- a lot of the parents refused to believe that I was American and kept spreading rumors that I was from Malaysia!

Participant

hey. when r u looking to come? there was a school that was looking for foreigner teachers i think 2-4. it was 9,000 a month plus pay for ur apt. it was for a daycare-kindergarten. i think ages 2-6yrs old. i could ask them if theyre still looking for teachers? its between the 1st and 2nd ring road kinda in the 4th section. also i have an apt. on the 1st ring road. im looking for a roommate for aug. and sept. if u need a place temporarily to look around and dont mind sharing its a good location but 1,200 per person each month

Participant

Huilong- The job sounds pretty good. If you could forward me their email I’d like to email them. I was trying to stay away from the 2-6 yr old group…but it looks like I might have to look into it. I just don’t welcome the thought of spending 24/7 with kids all under 6. It gets a little tiring. But I do want to get out of Tianjin before the end of Aug and it’s only for a year…so I’ll try anything now.

As for the apartment…I’m sorry but I don’t think sharing an apartment is a good idea, when I have a 6 year old daughter. It’s not fair to anyone else living there or safe for her. But thank you for the offer, I do appreciate it.

Participant

when i talked to the lady it was just 5 hours a day. 9-12, 3 hour break, and then3-5pm. its a bit different school then a regular one.

[email protected]

i couldn’t get the job because i dont have a degree. this was in the beginning of june so there might still be an opening.

good luck

and np about the apt 😉

Participant

Try the international schools. I know several asian americans working at some (cant remember the name but they advertise on gochengdoo) and were making at least 12k a month with housing and I think you can get up to 1 kid in to study for free/as part of your pay. Public schools here will pay 100 per class if you go directly but an agency will not pay more than MAYBE 7k tops, including house (if you are lucky) & it’s too much bullshit. You might need to ask those family members to babysit a few times a week so you can supplement your income with a training school.

If you are really outgoing & good with kids and teach english in a creative way I’m willing to hook you up with a well paying part time. I’m moving to shenzhen but they still need someone to teach some after school classes and you can bring your daughter to play with the kids if you want.

Participant

Thanks for the suggestions I’ll look into both options. Msing- Sorry but I don’t think I would be able to commit to a part time without actually being in settled in and figuring out what will work best for us first. Personally, I don’t know how this move away from my husband will affect my daughter- we stayed in America once for 2 months and she got really depressed. Since I’m treating this a ‘separation’ rather than just a move I want to make sure that I give her the attention she deserves- as well as trying to figure out how to survive on our own.

Participant

hey rei let me know when u arrive chengdu i could meet and talk with ya and see if i could be of any more help. id send a private msg but my msg thing isnt working (maybe just my poor internet) i can be reached at [email protected] can call me Kitty (just another young american female) . (i just will be gone very end of july traveling)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.