Running in Chengdu – Anyone Up for It?

HomeForumsClassifiedsPersonalsRunning in Chengdu – Anyone Up for It?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m being peer-pressured into running for a good cause. It’s for a charity competition run by Vanke, the Chinese Real Estate Group. They are giving out ten places for amateur runners to take part in the Boston marathon next year, and will give them to those who run the furthest total distance in a certain length of time. In addition, those who are selected are required to represent one Chinese charity – the idea being to spread the word about charitable Chinese organisations far and wide, internationally.

Anyway, I’m just donating my miles to someone who is in the running (ho ho) for that competition. My friends in Beijing are running amidst ridiculous pollution, so I feel like I need to do my part.

So, does anyone go running here? I need to donate my miles before mid Jan, so will be running as often as possible in the mornings and/or evenings in Chengdu. Potentially by the river, or in Renmin Park.

I’m an absolute amateur at running and have zero willpower, so a running buddy, tips, or ideas for running routes would all be v. much appreciated!

If all else fails I am half-seriously contemplating attaching my smartphone to a bike/a dog/a dog on a bike, and donating my miles that way.

Participant

hey, this website might help http://www.pandahash.com/, seems like it could make running bearable!

Participant

Yeah, that actually sounds great. I’m been interested in joining some kind of running club in Chengdu for several months but haven’t found anything, formal or informal.

I usually run distances in the 5-10km range but am pretty flexible on distance. I  have always preferred running in groups . Speaking of which, does anyone know of any areas in Chengdu that are especially good for running?

Anyway, if people are serious about creating some kind of running group, message me and I would definitely be interested in participating.

Participant

Hey I know you posted this a ways back so maybe you’re over it (which I hope not), or maybe you caught the runners bug! I just recently moved here from California and absolutely love running; almost do it on the daily. So if you’re still at it hit me up; I’m super down to train and explore different parts of the city!

Participant

Hi both!

Well since my first pathetic attempt at running I have to admit I haven’t kept it up. But if there’s enough peer pressure I will join you guys, if you’re ok with running with an amateur?

@Pandongzi
    : Apparently there are lots of routes on MapMyRun for Chengdu, so I’d recommend you checking that out. Last time I did, I ran around Renmin Park and along the river. Was quite nice!

Participant

well I wouldn’t exactly refer to myself as a seasoned athlete so it’s all good ahahaha. My schedule is pretty flexible; I typically lift in the evenings however so mornings or weekends work for me! Hit me up on QQ and we can try and coordinate.

mrkSauce

Participant

I can join u guys during weekends.

Participant

A comic for all you runners out there: The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances

Participant

ok, great. glad there’s some interest. mostly by habit, i’m more of a night runner, but weekend mornings could work. time and location permitting, i’ll join y’all. if you three (or anyone else) use weixin (wechat), let me know and i’ll PM my contact info.

oh, @Vincent, that runner’s comic is pure gold.

Participant

forget about running, let`s go riding bike

Participant

A comic for all you runners out there: The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances

This is an excellent little comic series.  I’ve only ever run when cycling wasn’t possible, but I think this applies to either really.

forget about running, let`s go riding bike

Amen!

Participant

Jacob, we never did get out for a run yet together;) Alas, I may be cycling more this spring after my next running race is over on Mar. 15.

For others interested in running, I can recommend a Thursday night “Chengdu Runner’s Club” English corner and run from the Sports Univ. on First Ring Rd. Climb a fence to get in by the 7:30pm gathering time, meet some new friends, and the English corner never lasts too long as these local runners want to run more than practice their English. They run around the track, but if that doesn’t deter you, last week when I went there about 30 local folks there of various abilities; some ran 10km+ while others ran 5km or so.

I’d be willing to meet up with any of you as well; I run anytime from 6:30am morning sessions, or a noon run after classes, to afternoon/evening runs, but almost never after dinner and weekends are flexible. I’ll run as long as anyone wants to (I’m also open to trail runs to at QingCheng/LongQuan), so whether long or short is your preference, if you want to run along the river near city center or meet up anywhere within a few miles of 1st Ring Road South (near the SW Minorities Univ./Wuhou District,etc), I’d be up for talking more.

I’m tapering now for a trail ultra, so after I recover, I’d be up for meeting in late March so let me know and we can make some tentative plans.

Participant

Hey Justin,

Do you have more info on trail runs in Sichuan?
    I’m currently still in Holland, but preparing to move to China later this year/next year.

And I do quite a bit of running in NL and would like to continue that in China.
    Especially trail running and hiking.

Cheers

Participant

J.slemmer, I have more info now than I did a few months. I’ve recently met more and more runners–long-distance runners, trail enthusiasts, and what I’d bet is the most active running clubs in the city–Chengdu Pao Ke (成都跑客). They routinely have events now that the weather’s warming up. I went to a 10km trail race a few weeks ago about 80km from town, am racing a 30km trail race tomorrow morning at Long Quan Mtn (about 35km away), and have signed up for a 2-day ultra-marathon in mid-June in the next province over.

Basically, getting to know the right people and having some language under my belt is all that’s needed. They’re an eager bunch of folks–involved in hiking and distance running both in town and out-of-town on weekends, organizing local races and informing its members of other events, and they also host a Thursday night English corner/run at a local sports university.

Not sure when you’re planning on coming, but I’ll be here, so look me up when you arrive. Can get you plugged in with the group (and the director speaks fluent English; guess where she learned it?…from living in Holland for 3 years!).

Participant

I’m moving to Chengdu in August (middle/late august).
    I’ll get in touch after settling down a bit in September or something.

Really looking forward to it and kick starting my life there with sports and adventures 🙂

What a coincidence the lived in Holland before, can exchange crappy dutch inside jokes…

Participant

Hi, I am back in Chengdu from the 10th of July and I am looking for  few running buddies.  I am generally a marathon runner but I am happy to run at any pace or distance.

I am really keen to make new friends and discover a little more about Chengdu.

Message me if you want my contact information and I will gladly forward it to you

Cheers,

Keith

Participant

Hey y’all

Just touched down in Chengdu this week with my Asics.

Would love to meet some new friends and have some people to keep me company on a long run.

My WeChat is JakeRuns. I’m almost always down for a run, any distance, any pace. Look forward to meeting you. Shoot me a message on weChat or on this message board please.

Thanks!

Jake

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Personals’ is closed to new topics and replies.