Sennheiser Headphones in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduSennheiser Headphones in Chengdu?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m after some decent headphones, are there any stores in Chengdu that stock Sennheiser? I know I can order online but would prefer to purchase in-store. Thanks.

Keymaster

Yeah, there’s an official retailer inside Computer City (数码广场) across the street from the Sichuan Gymnasium. Look on the 4th floor. The prices are significantly more than in Europe or the US, so be prepared for that. Taobao has much cheaper prices but according to the people who sell the legit Sennheisers they have told me that “99% of the Sennheiser headphones on Taobao are fake”.

Participant

Ah great, thanks for your help 🙂

Participant

When I buy a bit pricier electronic gadgets online I turn to jd.com and amazon.cn.

Keymaster

When I buy a bit pricier electronic gadgets online I turn to jd.com and amazon.cn.

This is smart! The Sennheiser sellers in Computer City advised me to never buy expensive electronics on Taobao. Tmall is a good alternative, as are Amazon and JD.

Participant

Totally agree, I always go to JD first, taobao is only for things I can’t find on JD.. seems to be much more trustworthy in terms of not selling fake gear.

I bought some Sennheiser headphones on JD a long time ago, worked out well.. sound great still just the top headband bit started to ‘flake’ (suggest picking one that doesn’t have the little foam bit on the top of the headset).

Participant

You’d have to be insane to buy Sennheiser headphones in China. so many better chinese brands availible. even in the west many headphone entustists are starting to pay huge import costs to buy chinese headphones as being better value, but for us actually living in china we can get them dirt cheap free of delivery cost, whereas Senn we actually pay more than the west due to import tax.

Senn are damn good but even them have to make huge cuts to make their headphones make a 300 dollar budget. whereas a chinese headphones for 300 dollars has such an upper hand.

Keymaster

You’d have to be insane to buy Sennheiser headphones in China. so many better chinese brands availible. even in the west many headphone entustists are starting to pay huge import costs to buy chinese headphones as being better value, but for us actually living in china we can get them dirt cheap free of delivery cost, whereas Senn we actually pay more than the west due to import tax. Senn are damn good but even them have to make huge cuts to make their headphones make a 300 dollar budget. whereas a chinese headphones for 300 dollars has such an upper hand.

Can you give some examples, or links to back this up? I have never heard of anyone in the States going out of their way to import Chinese headphones because they are a better value.

On the lower end, I thought that my $100+ Shure SE115 sound isolating earbuds were the shit. They gave out after a few years.

When looking for replacements I got these Panasonic RPHJE120V earbuds (I know, not Chinese) for $7 off taobao, and oh, my, goodness, gracious, the sound on these little buds is absolutely amazing. For the price, they are a tremendous value, though the quality is not as nice as my $100 Shures, the sound just blows them away.

Look at the amazon listing 21k+ reviews. What!?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EM6AQE/ref=twister_B0055AVO4Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Participant

@Ziich: I also picked up some Panasonics, these ones
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4LGTYC/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC7069
    based on the Wirecutter’s recommendation
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-40/
    I rip thru earbuds and these have lasted me for 9 months with no problems. I’m a big fan of Senns but the last pair of earbuds died after 6 weeks. They may have been fake 🙂

Keymaster

On the lower end, I thought that my $100+ Shure SE115 sound isolating earbuds were the shit. They gave out after a few years. When looking for replacements I got these Panasonic RPHJE120V earbuds (I know, not Chinese) for $7 off taobao, and oh, my, goodness, gracious, the sound on these little buds is absolutely amazing. For the price, they are a tremendous value, though the quality is not as nice as my $100 Shures, the sound just blows them away. Look at the amazon listing 21k+ reviews. What!? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EM6AQE/ref=twister_B0055AVO4Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Those are crazy cheap. I might order a pair just to try them out. But I prefer headphones to earbuds due to bass response, these are the ones which I’ve used everyday for about 2 years and really enjoy: Sennheiser PX-100 II. The bass response in particular is phenomenal for headphones in this price range. My other pair of Sennheisers are the Amperiors which are definitely overkill for most people but the build and sound quality on them is unreal.

I’m surprised to see the person above say that Sennheiser’s are a rip-off because the brand has such a long and well-respected legacy. I grew up with an audiophile father who had things like McIntsh vacuum tube amplifiers and Sennheiser HD-650’s. They’ve been among the most well-recommended headphone manufacturers for decades, known for high quality German engineering.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.