Sichuan University Vs Sichuan Normal University

HomeForumsIn ChengduSichuan University Vs Sichuan Normal University

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I actually want to study in Sichuan, but I am not sure which university is much better. First I think Sichuan University is one of best university in Sichuan, but most people told me Sichuan Normal University for Teaching Chinese as a secondary language is much better than Sichuan University. In addition, I am not a beginner, I have already got 新HSK 5, so I also want to know there is advanced class in Sichuan University and if there has, how many students in the class.

Summary
    1. Which university is better between Sichuan University and Sichuan Normal University.
    2. Is there Advanced Class in Sichuan University?
    3. If yes, How many students are studying in the class?

Thank you for any advice.

Keymaster

Search on the forum and you can find some threads comparing the two. There is debate over which one is better. Sichuan University costs more and some say it’s worth the extra cost, while others think that Minorities University offers roughly the same thing for a lower cost. I think they both have advanced classes which should suit you but I’m not sure of the class size since I haven’t studied at either. Good luck!

Participant

At your level uni language courses wont do you much good IMHO. They are good to pull people up from 0 to HSK 4 but afterwards….

Have you considered getting BA in Chinese language? with HSK 5 you can go directly to second year.

Participant

@Charlie

Thank you for your lovely opinion, I actually am graduated of master degree and I will look for a job from next year so I don’t want to spend of my time for 3 years.

Anyway, have you studied in Sichuan Univ or Sichuan Normal Univ? I want to share some ideas with you.

Now, I checked your profile up, and you are programmer of iPhone Game. I was web developer, and I hope to work in China as a Front-end developer. Are there many IT companies in Sichuan?

Participant

@Charlie

Thank you for your reply and ideas. Are you living in Chengdu now? When I was in Sichuan in 2010, there were just few foreigners, but now I want to know how many have it been changed.

Now, I checked your profile up, and you are programmer of iPhone Game. I was web developer, and I hope to work in China as a Front-end developer. Are there many IT companies in Sichuan?

Participant

@Al the Dead

Sorry for same reply twice I did miss tag.

Thank you for your lovely opinion, I actually am graduated of master degree and I will look for a job from next year so I don’t want to spend of my time for 3 years. Anyway, have you studied in Sichuan Univ or Sichuan Normal Univ? I want to share some ideas with you.

Participant

and I hope to work in China as a Front-end developer. Are there many IT companies in Sichuan?

In my experience, good front-end devs are in relatively high demand, and there certainly are lots of companies looking to hire here..

Keymaster

Now, I checked your profile up, and you are programmer of iPhone Game. I was web developer, and I hope to work in China as a Front-end developer. Are there many IT companies in Sichuan?

I work in mobile app development, and I can tell you this: in our company, we don’t employ a single expat programmer. Local talent is good enough and will work harder for less money. The only positions that we hire expats for are those that locals cannot do (programming isn’t one of them).

Participant

I studied Xinan Caida from 0 to HSK 4 then i tried Sichuan uni, Sichuan normal uni, Minorities uni and all of them left me disappointed. So now im just chewing that rock myself. I suppose finding a private teacher in uni would be good but first i have other thing to take care of 🙂

2Charlie: Any demand for translators/interpreters? Teaching kids makes me rusty in my primary skills.

Participant

@Rick in China Thank you for reply, Where are you in China? I think there are a lot of company looking for Front-end Developer, but is there any company in Chengdu, Sichuan?

Participant

@Charlie Yes, it is true. I should try it in Shanghai or Guangzhou maybe.

Participant

@Al the Dead Wow, How long have you studied in China? You have had a lot of experience in China for learning Chinese. In my case, I want to get 新HSK6, but in your advice, I really worry about my choice to learn in Sichuan. Anyway, which part of Sichuan University were more worst?

Participant

Total is 2.5 years but last year was wasted as i reached HSK 4 in 1.5 years and after that it was a standstill. Worst part is that course simply not designed to such advanced level, you will still use same way as you did from 0 to 4. But it just doesnt work… 🙁 Advanced classes may be called like that but in reality they are just the same.

Participant

@Al the Dead

Oh, I see. I have never studied in China so I want to try it. I wanted to learn Chinese for one year, but now I am sure that one semester(6 months) is enough to me.

Anyway, What do you do in Chengdu now? Is there any benefit of living in Chengdu? I want to try many activities and enjoy my Chengdu life.

Participant

Well i just recently returned after teaching in Zhejiang for half a year, so right now im resting and lazily looking for a job. Once im settled down again i plan to go and pass HSK 5 at last, which should ease my search for translation jobs.

For activities, im wrong person to ask 🙂 But Chengdu is lovely city so you wont have any problems with those, no matter your preferences. And if for some reason Chengdu doesnt have it, Chongqing will.

Participant

@Al the Dead

Are you in Zhejiang? I also want to go to Zhejiang for getting a job. How about Zhejiang for living and learning Chinese?

I actually have some of my friends in Sichuan so I will go to Sichuan, but I also really want to know about Zhejiang.

Participant

no i returned already. Wasnt bad there, i was in a small city couple hours from shanghai so clean air, cheap, same weather. Boring as hell, yeah, but can go Hangzhou or Shanghai easily for entertainment. Also Yiwu (another small city) has a name for it and a laowai community if you require.

I’d say its about the same as here, local food aside 🙂 Chengdu one’s is more to my taste.

Also, i didn’t choose that location, i just searched for job china wide and ended up there. Now trying to settle down in Chengdu second time. If i fail again, guess its bye bye Chengdu for me T_T.

Participant

Is there any place for learning Chinese in Yiwu? Which city is more better for learning Chinese between small city where you lived and Chengdu?

Where are you now? and why you think you were fail in Chengdu? I also worry about that I won’t improve my life and Chinese.

Participant

I dont know any places in Yiwu sadly, but i would be surprised if there was none. For Chinese learning its same everywhere, cause course is standard, so it falls down to teachers.

My reason for failing in Chengdu is simple: i am not a native speaker. So i am in a disadvantage by default as far as teaching jobs are concerned, not to mention visa issues, and translation jobs are a rarity.

Participant

Yes, I fully understand with your situations. Anyway where are you from? In my case, I am from Korea and Korean and Chinese both are similar so I can improve my Chinese easily.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.