Skype Alternatives?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSkype Alternatives?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My Skype is so bad I can’t even use it to make a voice call. What do you use? Even if it’s not video.

Participant

Google Hangouts work great. Simple IM, good video that rarely gets dropped, free group video, plus if you have a gmail, you already have it.

Participant

Nice one. I’ll try it later.

Participant

mobile app: (Apple’s  facetime, iMessage),Line, viber, whatsapp, wechat, qq, voxer……..bunch of apps on app store

pc: (if you got a Mac)facetime,qq……maybe there are more

I stopped using Skype over a year ago. Yet another web based service China apparently deems necessary to be fucked with.

Participant

I stopped using Skype over a year ago. Yet another web based service China apparently deems necessary to be fucked with.

So what do you use now then?

Participant

mobile app: (Apple’s facetime, iMessage),Line, viber, whatsapp, wechat, qq, voxer……..bunch of apps on app store pc: (if you got a Mac)facetime,qq……maybe there are more

Do you use any of these? I’m trying Facetime with a friend later, but not everyone has an apple product. I looked at Viber, wechat, and wahtsapp last night but I need something I can use on my Macbook pro and these are phone apps right? Does qq have video chat?

Does qq have video chat?

QQ does now have a webcam function.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alexander wrote:</div>
    mobile app: (Apple’s facetime, iMessage),Line, viber, whatsapp, wechat, qq, voxer……..bunch of apps on app store pc: (if you got a Mac)facetime,qq……maybe there are more

Do you use any of these? I’m trying Facetime with a friend later, but not everyone has an apple product. I looked at Viber, wechat, and wahtsapp last night but I need something I can use on my Macbook pro and these are phone apps right? Does qq have video chat?

I think you want a video chat app,  qq will work, and it works on windows , android , mac iOS. Most of the other appsare juts IM app with voice mail function or like a walkie talkie .

Participant

For those of you from the US with a US-based VPN, a nice little bonus is that you can use Gmail’s “call phones” feature to make a call for free to any phone number in the US. Quality is fine, unless the internet is particularly slow that day.

I have no problem with Skype (since i got 20M internets).  It’s not skype’s problem, it’s the internet connection speed.

Participant

I’m using Viber to call others who also use it. Viber got apps for the big mobile platforms, and yesterday I found that they nowadays also have a desktop client. http://viber.com

For calling landline and mobile phones I use Nonoh – http://nonoh.net

I agree with Chris – seems like Skype works quite fine, as long as you’re on a decent connection. Wifi connections are often soo bad here for some reason. Might be worth trying setting the wifi access point to using a different channel if you’re experiencing problems.

Keymaster

I’m using Viber to call others who also use it. Viber got apps for the big mobile platforms, and yesterday I found that they nowadays also have a desktop client.

I use this also, Viber is fantastic, the only downside is the other party must have it installed also.

Participant

Try using alternatives like webex, gomeetnow, gotomeeting, R-HUB web video conferencing servers etc. They work well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.