Slow Internet Recently?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSlow Internet Recently?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Since yesterday the internet has been really slow in my office, particularly accessing foreign websites. I have some large music files to download so I figured I’d complete the download at home, but I noticed the same problem here. Much slower than usual.

Results from SpeedTest.net:

Anyone else experiencing this recently? At home my internet provider is China Telecom.

Participant

I have the same.

Same shit, different day. Speedtest results are pointless:

Keymaster

Same shit, different day.

Is this routine? I haven’t noticed internet be this slow in what feels like a long, long time.

edit: seems to be back to normal today!

Is this routine? I haven’t noticed internet be this slow in what feels like a long, long time.

For me it has been nightmarishly slow for a few weeks now – about the same time the school holidays started. It’s awesome having 100Mb/s fibre and watching your downloads crawl at 10KB/s.

edit: seems to be back to normal today!

So just slow instead of painfully slow?

Participant

maybe the weather ?? Hmmm no idea about this jus guess

Keymaster

So just slow instead of painfully slow?

Exactly. If it were slow I would make a cup of coffee. Only when it’s 28.8k modem speed would I make a post like this inquiring. Here’s me downloading music yesterday afternoon:

Participant

I find a HUGE part of the problems I’m having is with DNS… I haven’t tried using an external DNS server other than 8.8.8.8 tho, which is googley.

Participant

I think it’s protocol specific. I can still download my torrents at *reasonable* speeds, but HTTP/S, FUUUUUCK, KILLING me.

Participant

I find it’s up and down but, yes, it has got worse recently. Were I to rely on a basic connection then I wouldn’t get a service worth paying for. Using a VPN in conjunction with a speed test tool enables me to get a respectable connection to the outside world but I might have to change to a new server a few times a day when the speed drops to an unworkable level after a while.

This connection has just been tested as running at 1605 Kb/s with a 151 ping. Most servers running at over 1000 Kb/s seems to work for me and I can usually find one somewhere in the world given enough time but the American servers seem to have dropped off dramatically in the past week or so.

Participant

I think it’s protocol specific. I can still download my torrents at *reasonable* speeds, but HTTP/S, FUUUUUCK, KILLING me.

Do you use XunLei Thunder to download? If not, you definitely should, and pay like ~100rmb/year or something for the VIP option. Downloads super fast, also from kickasstorrents. It uses like insane speed servers to buffer whatever you want to their system, and then sends it to your computer through a local high-speed connection.

I have 4Mbps Telecom line and download everything at 1.5Mbps constant speed. My friend has a 100Mbps Telecom line and downloads at 8Mbps.

Participant

This is what I’m talking about:

I think we can all agree that torrents aren’t an issue. I use transmission and foreign trackers and frequently download at >10MB/s:

Participant

This morning, booted up and checked through a speed tester that I had an internet connection. I tried to connect to Chengduliving, BBC UK and Yahoo UK. All failed to connect. I retried and still all three failed. I connected the VPN to a server in Vietnam tested at roughly 1,800 kB/s and all three sites connected immediately.

Guess why I use a VPN!

Participant

I think we can all agree that torrents aren’t an issue. I use transmission and foreign trackers and frequently download at >10MB/s:

What’s special about Transmission? Which provider are you using? That’s great speed.

Joe sucks though. Was really bored during that movie. 😉

If not, you definitely should, and pay like ~100rmb/year or something for the VIP option. Downloads super fast, also from kickasstorrents. It uses like insane speed servers to buffer whatever you want to their system, and then sends it to your computer through a local high-speed connection.

Does anyone know what this technique is called, and if it’s possible to send *all* your internet traffic through there?

I have no idea how it works exactly, it’s just integrated in that Chinese software.

What’s special about Transmission? Which provider are you using? That’s great speed.

It’s just an ordinary torrent client. I’m on China Telecom’s 100mb/s fibre package. It isn’t always that good. At peak times or on badly seeded torrents it runs slower.

Does anyone know what this technique is called, and if it’s possible to send *all* your internet traffic through there?

No, it’s just a type of local peer sharing technology possibly aided by dedicated servers.

Participant

@Vincent

No, I don’t have interest in paying to traffic my stuff through anything or any service beyond just magnet linking and torrent client.. I’ve never had to really wait longer than I need to even in the worst of times, just queue up stuff and it’s downloaded by the time I want to watch it – or I have so much stuff waiting to be watched that by the time I watch an ep of something, whatever I wanted to download is downloaded…. so not really worried about the torrenting as mentioned. What I’m angry about is the fact I constantly have trouble connecting to normal websites, httpS sites, even resolving DNS, it’s frustrating .. I don’t know if it’s because I changed my most used lappy to Yosemite beta or what (people say it has some wifi problems of sorts), but I’m really guessing it’s the Chinese internet and if so, infuriating, just let me fucking browse.. nobody goin’ to riot because of my browsing, Xi, for fuck sakes.

Participant

What I’m angry about is the fact I constantly have trouble connecting to normal websites

I also encounter a lot of issues opening websites that aren’t even blocked. I found out that using this Chrome plugin called “ScriptSafe” definitely fixed some (but obviously not all) issues for me. It blocks some Twitter scripts and stuff like Google Analytics, which seems to make it load faster.

Has anyone tried using DNSCrypt? That might resolve some issues. Using standard external servers for resolution like googles 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, or even your own server, is useless as the GFW uses a man in the middle attack to return bad answers. Some blocked websites, for example Facebook, are only blocked using this method.

Participant

Has anyone tried using DNSCrypt?

Good suggestion. I installed it after work and it’s running now – feels better, so not really interested in experimentation to time whether it *actually* is 😀 it seems like a good idea to run this regardless of any improvement, great little piece of software..thanks!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.