Smart Air Workshop, Sunday @ Bookworm

HomeForumsIn ChengduSmart Air Workshop, Sunday @ Bookworm

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

It’s all about the bacon http://shanghaiist.com/2015/01/16/sichuan_official_blames_smoked_baco.php

We recorded a podcast yesterday and mentioned this. Pretty funny suggestion to make about what’s causing pollution here.

Not sure if this data has been made available before, but is there a calculation for the (chosen) filters capacity/saturation point of PM 5, and/or PM 2.5 particulate? Just curious after reading through the data on the 200 day results.

Yeah, they have efficacy charts on their website, they suggest changing the filter every 140 days I believe. The filters will turn visibly black long before the reach 90% efficacy though.

Participant

Hi Brendan, this is Thomas the nerd behind Smart Air. I’ve never heard of a convincing way to calculate how many days of use you could get via a simple calculation or theory alone. Now, I have seen people try, but it seems incredibly “back of the envelope” with a lot of assumptions. Unless I saw that theory backed up with actual data, I think the only way to go about it is to go out and test it in the real world.

And Charlie is on the money: I recommend changing HEPAs every 140 days at 8 hours a day with the Original DIY or approximately 1,000 hours of use.

I’ve never heard of a convincing way to calculate how many days of use you could get via a simple calculation or theory alone.

I was actually wondering about the cubic (meter) capacity of the filter component/fabric/whatever itself, and the absorption capacity of the material mass therein. I’d be surprised if that hasn’t been figured by a manufacturer out there, as it seems like a definitive short cut to knowing the true ‘top out’ of the filters ability to function.

Again, mere curiosity on my part. I dig what you’ve been up to for sure.

Participant

Like how much each square inch of HEPA can hold and then just multiply that by the entire surface area of the HEPA?

Like how much each square inch of HEPA can hold and then just multiply that by the entire surface area of the HEPA?

Yes, exactly.

Participant

If I buy the 200RMB DIY kit through the taobao store, does it come with English instructions?

Participant

instructions

Take the filter. Strap it to the fan. Plug it in. Turn it on. 😛

Keymaster

Take the filter. Strap it to the fan. Plug it in. Turn it on.

That’s essentially it. The only other part is that you have to remove a plastic nub with a knife so that the filter fits flush with the front of the fan. Set up takes about 2 minutes, though.

Participant

It does come with instructions! You could also order a pre-assembled kit.

But the fun part of the instruction booklet is the other stuff–test data, answers to questions like: do air conditioners bring in dirty outside air? Are particle counters the same as the US Embassy pollution monitors?

Participant

Quick question, does anybody know where I could view the figures for daily aqi high/low levels over a long period of time?

Participant

In the iPhone app if you tap a city and scroll down there’s a daily data history that goes back until march 2013. Or is that not long enough?

I’ve been told yesterday that apparently the pollution here hasn’t really gotten a lot worse since the 80s. Can’t remember the reasoning behind it though. Fact/foe?

Participant

I’ve been told yesterday that apparently the pollution here hasn’t really gotten a lot worse since the 80s.

Anecdotally speaking I would say that is utterly bullshit. I don’t recall having much complaint about pollution even in the early 2000s, but the last few years have been terrible. The amount of dust in the air seems to be the best “baseline” I can use – I don’t recall experiencing every surface being covered in dust so quickly should a window or door be left open as it is now.

Keymaster

Anecdotally speaking I would say that is utterly bullshit. I don’t recall having much complaint about pollution even in the early 2000s, but the last few years have been terrible. The amount of dust in the air seems to be the best “baseline” I can use – I don’t recall experiencing every surface being covered in dust so quickly should a window or door be left open as it is now.

Sascha researched this to some extent recently and cited some sources in a recent article. According to what he found, pollution in Chengdu has improved over the last 3 years (since the Beijing “Airpocalypse”). It’s hard to compare current pollution to pollution from before accurate figures on pollution levels were available. Pollution hasn’t been a widely-discussed, significant issue in Chengdu, or most of China, until the last few years.

Participant

FYI there’s a new China smog documentary going around called “Under The Dome”. Seems to be going viral. 200million+ views in 2 days and lots of media attention. Easy to find but it’s in Chinese so maybe someone else can make a thread about it.

FYI there’s a new China smog documentary going around called “Under The Dome”.

Is this the former newscaster (oxymoron) thingamabob I keep seeing reposted on WeChat?

Keymaster

FYI there’s a new China smog documentary going around called “Under The Dome”. Seems to be going viral. 200million+ views in 2 days and lots of media attention. Easy to find but it’s in Chinese so maybe someone else can make a thread about it.

I heard about this today on NPR in the states, it’s big news here also. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m looking forward to it.

Participant

According to what he found, pollution in Chengdu has improved over the last 3 years

This could be true and I would believe it has a high likelihood of being true, but the assertion was ‘since the 80s’.. and of course as you mention since we don’t have hard data talking about AQI measurements going very far back, can only really talk anecdotally on the subject.

I really do think that the air was better in the early 2000s than these days, though. I’d have a hard time believing the air quality now is anything similar to back in the 80s, pre manufacturing boom..

Participant

Charlie whats your conclusion after using the SamoAir for a few months?

Keymaster

Charlie whats your conclusion after using the SamoAir for a few months?

I haven’t used it in months, but I’ve already gotten my value out of it. The SamoAir is good for testing before and after turning your filters on to measure the effect they’re having. If your aren’t cleaning the air like they should (which the SamoAir will tell you), tweak your setup until it meets your satisfaction. It’s not something that you would regularly use I think, although it would be kinda cool to have it permanently on and mounted on a wall or something.

Participant

I have been using SamoAir for about 4-5 months now.
    It’s in a corner of the living room, just monitoring the air quality.

I don’t look at the numbers anymore, just the colours. Green is good (>40), orange is ok (<40 – >75), red is bad.

When I see red, I turn on my air filter. Anything below red I don’t anymore. 40 would be considered bad in Europe, but standards have to shift here I guess.

Wish I could auto turn on my fans, when it reaches red.
    Anyone got suggestions on how to do that?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.