GMO Rice in China?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGMO Rice in China?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I really want to know that the rice we eat belongs to GMO plants or not.

These days,the news talked about it and said it’s harmful to people,even might get a cancer.

Is it real?As all I know,there are many kinds of rice、corn、beans,which are GMO plants,and I thought I eat them in my daily life.

Do you have any idea to avoid these GMO plants food?

Keymaster

It’s hard to say. How can we verifiably know the origin of food products in China? Is it possible?

Participant

I eat organic 糙米

Try 糙米,even if it’s not organic

Participant

@ Andy – I think that it is unlikely that the GMO food, by itself, will give you cancer. However, some GMO crops have been designed to work with a specific pesticide. Animals that have been fed those foods have produced worrying evidence that there could be a cancer link to the pesticide residues. Conversely the pro-GMO scientists claim that it is scientifically impossible but refuse to conduct in-depth long term studies.

If you are concerned then do your research and try to avoid imported foods that have not been certified as GMO free.

Participant

@andy,

Eat Organic.
    Sarah said eat brown rice, which is healthier than white, but if it’s not organic that it’s still not solving your main concern.

I think the only solution to the concern is on a different spectrum, taking care of gut health and staying alkaline, among other procedures to clean the toxins out from the body, as Merior was alluding to.
    Carcinogens and other known and unknown toxins cause cancer which is most likely from the pesticides used with the foods we are concerned with, therefore if we can’t get away from eating these,  we only have one option left.

Participant

@ drjtrekker – if we are going to stay “alkaline” then that eliminates grains, such as rice and even soya. So that rules out cereals, pasta/noodles, breads, cakes and also tofu (a big risk of GMO anyway). Also out are mushrooms and normal(largish) portions of meat. Potatoes are OK though and, surprisingly, tomatoes because it is how the body processes foods that determines the resulting alkalinity of your blood.

Sticking to a healthy diet can become depressing but, as usual, it’s all about eating in moderation unless the blood tests indicate otherwise. I wish there was a formulae that stated something like “1 mushroom (bad) = 2 potatoes(good)” but if there was it would probably just create controversy in the medical world.

Participant

There are charts that are like a “formula”, like the link below.

http://msaprilshowers.com/body/alkaline-and-acid-ph-balance-in-the-body/attachment/ph-chart/

But I suppose the “diet” could be depressing but its almost like a vegetarian diet, not too bad.
    I rarely ate veggies and was mostly a meat eater before coming to China, and now really don’t mind the veggies.

And even if we are stuck eating some things that are GMO or just poisoned, then that would be a big reason for keeping the body alkaline as you know it supposedly does not allow toxins and disease to grow.

I think some grains are fine to eat as well, i.e. quinoa and millet and others like black and brown rice, and as long as one stays away from refined crap…but baozi is so tasty!

Participant

Many thanks for the chart DJ.  It seems to spell it out. I am pleased to see that mushrooms are not quiet as evil as my wife makes out. But if I understand this chart correctly then I need to drink the juice of 60 lemons to neutralise 1 coffee? (20 parts of alkalinity to 1 part of acidity (x3)). There must be an acid buffer somewhere in the formula I guess – pass me the bicarbonate of soda,

Participant

I have never seen that “equation”  before on any type of list or chart of foods, so who knows.
    That would be the thing to figure out, and I have wondered about this, and how one determines how alkaline you are.

I imagine this is why people that try to heal cancer naturally go almost completely leafy green diet.

Btw, with these “charts”,  certain foods will often be contradictory from chart to chart, so don’t know what to make with that, so I would look at a few main websites when determining which foods are more alkaline and not.

And, conversely, certain foods are always listed in the same spot no matter the chart.

Participant

During the spring festival,I went to my  hometown.You cannot imagine that how delicious of the food,I especially love the rice my uncle planted  on their farmlands.

Participant

If  it it possible,I think we could have an agreement with someone,a famer,not employed.We could tell him or her make the vegetables with no pesticide.

Yeah,it seems we can only do this,and cannot get away from the GMO problem,the seeds’ gene could be modified.Just find some safety food what we know.

Participant

@ drjtrekker – you can determine your alkalinity with a simple blood test – I am having one tomorrow.

Participant

OH, cool.
    I think the test strips would be more accurate because you test everyday, multiple times a day if wanted, and for multiple days to get a hopefully more accurate overall reading rather than a “one-time” reading….

I was looking at ordering some, but was thinking of staying away from taobao and order from overseas.

Participant

@ drjtrekker – You might find it easier to test your saliva rather than your blood and an annual test is sufficient unless you have a known a problem. But I wish you luck with importing anything into China unless you use a courier because, in my experience, the processing of international mail in China stopped working about 5 years ago.

Participant

I purchase from overseas, no problems ever.

Testing can be with urine, and ph levels change throughout the day, that’s why most of those testing strips suggest multiple days to get a solid test answer since the levels fluctuate.

An annual test for Ph levels doesn’t seem like that would let you know how you body is doing based off of your diet, right?

Anyhoo, I may test since I am very curious of where my gut is at…

Participant

@ drjtrekker – Just checked the price on Taobao for a pack of 10 the urine/acid/gout test strips  – a big ouch at 302 rmb or 476rmb for 25 plus post. eBay is significantly cheaper provided that you can get them into the country.

My blood test today showed me to be within the acceptable ph range. The last test was a month ago.  My wife, who understands these things, tells me that the next test should be in three months. Apparently acid in the urine may be indicative of a problem but the blood test gives a fuller picture as to what is happening in the body when it becomes apparent that you have a possible uric acid problem. As for daily testing – hospitals do such tests at the same time each morning before you have eaten or drunk anything (the 8 hour fast overnight). Perhaps these test strips come with recommendations on the subject of intervals between tests.

Participant

Dr. Michael Greger had a post a few years back about measuring your blood’s ph by conducting a test with purple cabbage blended into water and pouring that in the toilet after urinating. The urine will change color and you can get an idea of the ph of your blood. You can read more about it here and follow the directions if you want do experiment without investing in the strips mentioned above.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2014/08/05/test-to-see-if-your-diet-is-alkaline-or-acid-forming/

Participant
    Participant

@ coryg –  I doubt if the results will be very accurate if for no other reason than the ph of the water in your toilet will vary on a regional basis before you add any urine to it.  Urine will also vary in depth of colour depending on time of day and individuals. The ratio of water/urine/cabbage water would need to be consistent and I have also found when measuring the ph of a sample of water in the fish tank that the quality of light also affects the results – natural daylight is best. So, all in all, I would class this as a school experiment and no substitute for using commercially prepared tests if you had cause for concern. Interesting though.

Keymaster

@ drjtrekker – you can determine your alkalinity with a simple blood test – I am having one tomorrow.

Where did you get this blood test done? I’d be interested in seeing results from that. I do blood tests every year or two through InsideTracker when I’m in the states, but I’ve heard that they are much cheaper here. One thing that’s great about InsideTracker (or WellnessFX and other services abroad in general) is how they present the data in a way that you can understand in context.

Also, semi-related to this topic: I recorded a podcast recently about vegetarian/vegan dieting and sustainable food in Chengdu. When that is published, I will share the link here. If you are interested, subscribe to the podcast and it’ll show up in your podcast app.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.