Stores Accepting Foreign Credit Cards?

HomeForumsIn ChengduStores Accepting Foreign Credit Cards?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m looking for grocery stores that accept foreign-issued credit cards (specifically Mastercard) in Chengdu. Wal-Mart and Carrefour seem like the obvious choices, but in discussion forums for other Chinese cities those chains have had mixed reviews. Anyone with first-hand experience?

Participant

never tried but I think it is unlikely they will accept. Use a Chinese bank card, or draw money with your foreign bank card from an atm and pay cash.

Participant

My problem is that I foolishly sank a lot of money into paying off my credit cards, just assuming I would be able to use them, as I having in most (every?) other countries I’ve visited. I guess I may just have to live frugally until I get paid.

Participant

No experience with Mastercard but used to use my foreign VISA all the time at Auchan and Ito Yokado.

Keymaster

Mastercard might be a little tougher but VISA is taken at most larger stores that are international, including shopping malls and places like Treat, Carrefour, etc.

Participant

Thanks everyone. My grocery run to Ito Yokado went off without a hitch.

Participant

Ikea and Decathlon are the only two that I’ve ever had success.

Participant

You can add Visa and Mastercard to Alipay, but I think you’re only able to use them to pay for goods bought on Taobao, not withdraw or transfer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.