Feasibility of Working & Studying Part Time?

HomeForumsIn ChengduFeasibility of Working & Studying Part Time?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I currently teach English full time in Chengdu. My contract is up at the end of August. I have been kicking around the idea of studying Chinese at a university in September but I am worried if I can make it work financially. My question is how easy is it to find part time work in Chengdu? How is the pay? I will need enough cash for a cheap apartment and food ect…

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Keymaster

It will come down to what you’re capable of:

• How easily can you navigate Chengdu, and what is your ability to live frugally like?
    • Are you a qualified teacher? Do you know students, or have connections to schools? If so, finding work, even part time, should be no issue.

For those reasons it’s hard to generalize, but it’s definitely possible. You can live in Chengdu on 4-5,000 rmb per month, it’s more a question of your own ability to keep your costs down. If you don’t speak Chinese, consider this an investment in your future in China (if that’s a factor for you). Learning Chinese will open a lot of doors: socially, professionally and so on.

Participant

Hey

I have recently been thinking of doing a similar thing next year so it would be great to here how you get on.

Aside from my full time job  I have been working for an agency that offer flexible hours for private students and groups of students. I feel that there is enough work for you to live off if you look around/advertise.With regards to pay (from personal experience) private tutoring can be anywhere between 150-300rmb per hour. There are a lot of small time companies in Chengdu offering last minute teaching work with very little effort.

Hope it goes well for you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.