Taking Pets Out of China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTaking Pets Out of China

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone know or have experience of taking cats out of China and back home with them? I want to take my catss back to the UK which has strict quarantine rules but I have heard there is a way to avoid the six month quarantine. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks

Participant

I took my dog home once, quite a hassle. First go to a vet (bring your passport) and get your pet vaccinated and also they will insert a IDchip in your cat. After that process you should own a book containing your info and your cats info… Now comes the hard part, the airline… I brought my dog to Indonesia from Beijing, which has several airline options, the best one is to use the ones that has a direct flight to your destination because if you have to stop for a transit then your pet must be quarantined also in that transit country (for HK it was 2 weeks).. After you decided on an airline then buy a cage for the cat(s), measure the cage(s), and weigh them, that should determine the cost of the freight.. After you arrive in UK the airport will quarantine them.. In Indonesia there are some agents that can help your pets to get out of the quarantine quickly, but I don’t know if there’s one in UK.

Participant

They will definitely be quarantined in the UK. The people at Pet castle might be able to give you some more info

Participant

I’m also about to start the process to ship my cat back to the U.S. and Pet Castle gave me a contact that does the whole the whole thing for you. They speak English and they know about some loopholes that might help you out.

[email protected]

Participant

I’ve taken care for a friends’ dog for a few months and he also got shipped to the UK thanks to the people from the email in the post above (Ruby).

Don’t know the exact process but it’s pretty much the way alexanderoei describes it.

Here’s some info about the costs involved:

MziV64W.gif

And here’s another document involved for custom clearance in the UK:

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/c5-document-bringing-your-pet-to-the-uk-from-outside-the-european-community

Quote:
    They will definitely be quarantined in the UK.

Not true. Quarantine laws changed recently. A friend moved to the UK last year taking her 2 cats with her. They did not need to be quarantined at all.

Participant
    Quote:
    They did not need to be quarantined at all.

I can confirm the dog I mentioned was not quarantined either.

Participant
    Quote:
    They will definitely be quarantined in the UK. The people at Pet castle might be able to give you some more info

Quote:
    Not true. Quarantine laws changed recently. A friend moved to the UK last year taking her 2 cats with her. They did not need to be quarantined at all.

I think the airport will quarantine them, maybe not as long as 6 months, could be a day or maybe several hours to check for the conditions and certificate and such. But they definitely won’t just let you just straight walk out of the airport with the cat(s). Or maybe if you use an agent then you’ll be able to get your cat at their local branch office.

Quote:
    But they definitely won’t just let you just straight walk out of the airport with the cat(s).

I believe that you need to pay for delivery to your home. There is no quarantine. Lots of info on the DEFRA website…

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/

“All pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK from any country in the world without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme”

EDIT: A quick Google reveals that you can actually collect your pet directly from the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre. A vet inspects the animal to make sure it is healthy and its microchip is checked before it’s released. The process from arrival to clearance can take up to 4-5 hours.

Participant

Is taking two cats home as expensive as two times one cat? Or is there some sort of cheaper option to put both of them in one cage?

Also, what’s the total price these days?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.