Trip to Kangding in mid-June

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTrip to Kangding in mid-June

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, I’m planning on traveling to Kangding (Sichuan Tibet) for 2-3 days in mid June and looking for advice and potential travel buddy(s). I’d like to take a bus there and fly back. Right now planning to go during the week (maybe June 14-17th or the last week in June) and I’m planning to buy tickets in the next day or two.

The information I’ve gotten so far has led me to believe that <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>the b</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>us (7-9hrs) is 120-150RMB</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”> </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>one </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>way and flights range from 400-600RMB each way. </span>
    I’m trying to keep to a pretty tight budget and not interested in a tour company but if anyone could recommend a hotel, driver, restaurant, or must-see sights I’d really appreciate it!

Anyone interested? Any tips?
    Thanks!

Participant

I always stay at Zhilam Hostel.  http://zhilamhostel.com/  I don’t really spend much time in Kangding to be honest as I always head up to the Tagong area.

Participant

In Sichuan there’s a saying.  Ya’an is nicer than Chengdu,  Luding is nicer than Ya’an,  and Kangding is nicer than Luding.  But Kangding is not as nice as Zigong.

Just kidding.  That makes no sense.

Mugecuo lake and valley with snowcapped peaks and whatnot is an hour or so north of Kangding.   Rides should be easy to find, though – best through a hostel.   Beware a ticket cost at the entrance.

I’ve never stayed at Zhilam hostel,  but there are several low-priced hotels in the city center that accept lao wai.   There are some fun bars downtown while the Paoma mountain is a ripoff, which asks you to pay ticket price after you’ve already climbed the mountain.   Hills to the southwest of the city are free and pretty accessible for a good view of the “three rivers four mountains”.  Might have to brave angry dogs and wild pigs.

Participant

2-3 days is pretty short time… Keep in mind that if it’s raining, or if they’re still doing roadworks on Erlangshan, that 7-9 hours bus ride could become considerably longer, my worst record stuck on a bus from Kangding to Chengdu was 18.5 hours. Zhilam hostel is ok if you want to live in the dorm, but annoyingly far from the town center. The single rooms are really expensive, so if you don’t want a dorm you’re better off booking a decent looking hotel on Ctrip. (There’s also a cheap hostel next to the bus station, but again, private rooms are not much cheaper than a hotel. They do, however, arrange treks.)

Mugecuo lake is nice, even if the entrance ticket is rather steep. Make sure to walk the hidden path up behind the bathrooms on top, the valley and hills above the lake is the best part of the area, and the hills should be in full flower in mid June.

I have a driver I always use there, he’s cheap and reliable, but doesn’t speak a word of English, I can find his number if you want it.

Participant

Olsen what is your driver’s number? Does he do long distances and does he speak Mandarin? I’m planning a trip for later this month and was planning to find a driver to take our group to Litang from Kangding. It’s always nice to have a guy you know is reliable!

Participant

He speaks Mandarin, although he drives a coupe, so if you’re a big group that’ll be an issue… Maybe he knows someone with a minivan, the drivers around the bus station tend to overcharge when they see a laowai: 邱家树 13990472152

If you’re headed into Yunnan and need a driver there I can recommend this guy in Shangri-la (小中甸): 13988741700

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.