University Choice

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionUniversity Choice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

I am looking for some information from anyone that has worked at Sichuan University Jinjiang campus, or the University of Electrical Science and Technology.

I will be making the move from 10 long years from a Korean Uni. to be with the new wife and soon to be child. So, looking for any pros or cons of each place..

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to the new move and challenge.

Participant

Hi there,

I worked at the University of Electronic Science and Technology in West Chengdu. If this is the one you mean, I taught there for one semester this academic year teaching English to English Major students and those of other majors. I was at the campus near the Metro Station Baicao Road.

I liked teaching there. Clean classrooms, with computer and PowerPoint projector with audio and microphone capability. The campus can be confusing at first, but after a week there or less you will get used to finding your way around it. The cafeteria sucks 😀 There are restaurants 15-20 minutes walk away from the campus, chief among them is McDonald’s as well as some Taiwanese and Thai cuisines. There are plenty of local food restaurants that do some tasty dishes.

The students are great, friendly and helpful as are the staff and teachers (those I knew of anyway).

I hope this has been of help to you.

Participant

Hello Maz,

Yeah that helps a little. Are you still currently working there? How is the pay compared to the cost of living there? do you live on or off campus? As I mentioned I am making the big move so trying to get the best deal between the two.. But I also like a good working environment the people I work with now are pretty much like family here.

Thanks for the info.. If you have any other insights I will take all I can get.

Participant

I work with a recruitment agency and not directly with the college. I only worked there one semester before being transferred to accommodate another teacher.

I hear that Sichuan University is one of the best universities, but not sure if that is just in this part of China or the country as a whole.

Participant

I can put you in touch with the hiring/visa person at UESTC if needed. I like it here; I work two days a week with practically zero micromanagement. A lot of us live in the provided housing near the old Shahe campus, and we catch a bus out to the new campus (Qingshuihe) to teach. That’s about the biggest downside (imo) as it’s a 45 minute ride on the buses chartered by the school.

I’m a single guy so our living costs won’t really compare, but I do just fine on my salary. I won’t get into specifics but you’re welcome to PM me.

Participant

PM sent

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.