Shipping from USA to Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionShipping from USA to Chengdu?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone tried other mailing services for items to arrive to Chengu from the states besides FEDEX & DHL ?

Participant

From Canada, I’ve had several items shipped via post. They often take an enormous amount of time, and occasionally never arrive. Still waiting on Xmas cards, for example. Never ship anything important via Canada Post – I would imagine US post has similar issues 😀 However, fedex/etc cost a lot more..but at least you are more likely to know where your things are/find out when they’re stuck somewhere/etc.

Participant

Rick,

Thanks for the feedback

Participant

My family has sent me various items over the years through USPS and Fedex.  Unless it is priority, it always takes 2-3 weeks.  Make sure you put your phone number, or a friend’s number who speaks Chinese, on the front of the package.  I’ve learned that the hard way…

Participant

There was a time when I could ship packets and parcels through the mail without having to resort to a courier. In recent years it seems that a letter can get through but packets and parcels don’t regardless as to whether it is sent registered insured or not. As suggested above it is probably because the phone number is not supplied. The local post office sorting office confirmed that it was a perfectly valid address, said they had no record of having received the items and could offer no suggestions as to how to overcome the problem in future.

Participant

Hi guys,

I aim to post large container of goods from UK, mainly clothing, shoes, books, music scores. Mainly used stuff.
    the questions are:
    Is there a secure way of posting stuff with a guarantee that it will be received.
    Am I too naïve to expect a compensation if the goods are lost in transit?

Does it have to be cleared with customs?

Thank you x

Participant

There must be a cost-effective way of shipping things to China. Otherwise we won’t be seeing tons of imported goods being sold in Taobao. I wonder which service these online stores use?

Participant

infallible,

You have two options – if you ship 20′ container so there is basically zero chance something could get lost – the container will be sealed after loading and for any seal break/change there will be a record.

During container transport by sea there is no chance anything could be stolen and majority of main terminals are well guarded/protected.

I shipped really tens of thousands of containers and it’s really rare to witness pilferage.

However broken things is totally different story – the best would be to higher a professional company in UK who could do the packing and container staffing for you. But they do not come cheap.

Alternatively you do all this on your own and in that case pls be aware that on the rough sea the vessel can and will heave, pitch and roll quite heavily. So good lashing of your cargo in the container is simply a must.

Door delivery is then a standard service as long as your destination is accessible by heavy truck and also hiring a professional company in China to help you with container stripping is already more affordable than in UK.

However shall you decide to load/strip the container on your own pls note there is certain free time and after it expires you will be charged per hour of truck waiting.

The other chance is then to ship your cargo as LCL (less then container load) in case you will not have so much goods.

That is totally different story and your chance of pilferage and/or damage is much much bigger.

Nevertheless you can buy the insurance covering you adequately.

Hope it helps a bit.

Participant

greenarcher,

It’s very simple. There following scenarios:

1) The online shop plans how much of the item they can sell in given time frame and they import it using containers or LCL service via sea and stock it in distribution warehouse, waiting for enduser order. The time spent on the sea differs as per origin (a bit faster from US W/C up to almost two months in case of certain European origins) but as majority goes from the stock in the warehouse so final customer does not feel that and goods is available quite fast.

2) For certain items they airfreight it (usually high end and expensive products otherwise the airfreight costs would kill the business) – that can take few days.

3) In case of European origins currently they can use containers or LCL via rail – that is quite a new trend which enables to cut costs of the items which would normally need the airfreight. China is very very active to promote this type of service.

4) Traditional seafreight – that really can take time so sometimes you can see delivery time one or even two months. But it’s still the cheapest alternative when talking about transport fee for cargo from US and/or Europe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.