Entrepreneurship Meet Up @ Beer Nest II, 12/17

HomeForumsIn ChengduEntrepreneurship Meet Up @ Beer Nest II, 12/17

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Monthly organized since 1.5 years, the Chengdu Entrepreneurship Meet up brings business people together every 3th Wednesday of the month.

* The theme for this month is “The Booming Business of Christmas in China”.
    * Gather 7:30pm, starts around 8pm

Chengdu Entrepreneurship Meet Up December 2014

Averagely attended by >100 persons, this free event usually features a presentation or panel discussion, followed by Q&A idea pitches and networking session.

Even if you’re not so into business, you might find what they do interesting, especially if you are curious what it’s like working in a Chinese business environment.

Come on out and hear the stories of trailblazing and building businesses in Chengdu!

Signup for our meet up if you’re interested in receiving updates: http://www.meetup.com/Chengdu-Entrepreneurship-Meetup/

Address:
    啤酒窝餐吧 The Beer Nest II, Bar & Kitchen

Renmin South Road Section 4 – No. 48-32, Master Commercial Street (F1, Behind BMW Dealership)
    人民南路四段48号附32号,首座万里商业街1楼 (宝马经销商后面)

Chengdu Entrepreneurship Meet up Logo

Participant

Stimulating.  Shocking.

Commercialization of Christmas in capitalist, atheist China….seems pretty cut and dry if you ask me.  The world over cashes in, not sure what there would be to discuss.  At least the “party” doesn’t fear old St. Nick.

How about a panel on copying each others business ideas and lack of creativity?

Oh…and you can throw in writing fake reviews too.  That might be actually worth acknowledging and discussing.

Merry Christmas.

Participant

Hi Fran,

Can I plz ask where you’re from and how commercialized is Christmas in your country?

The Meet Up might not be totally what you think – we’re actually gonna discuss some of the topics pointed out by you (Xmas in Old & New China, the culture and business of Christmas, the 21st Century silk road, commercialization, strategies how different businesses tap in, etc).

Some related reads:
    -BRIC Xmas: http://www.bricexpansion.com/culture-business-christmas-bric-countries/
    – The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/10/silk-railway-freight-train-from-china-pulls-into-madrid
    – Jing Daily: http://jingdaily.com/christmas-catches-on-in-china-as-stylish-retail-holiday/
    – The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/12/what-china-loves-about-christmas-and-doesnt/250488/

You’re bringing up some other interesting topics; any interest in getting involved in one of the future Entrepreneurship Meet ups?

Kindly,
    Dieter.

Participant

Deiter,

I would love to come to some future events and have been to previous ones.  Doing business in China has become extremely cut throat and not remotely enjoyable when even expats copy other expats.  The idea of copying is not only in China of course, but certainly emphasized here.  These issues should be discussed to promote creativity and respect others businesses.  When even staff (not business owners) get in on it, it becomes unfairly competitive.  This is a problem and creates an awful business environment.

If each business focused on what they offered and excelled at things could be more pleasant. Maybe this would be embarrassing to acknowledge, but quite helpful.

Regards,

Francis

Participant

Doing business in China has become extremely cut throat and not remotely enjoyable when even expats copy other expats.

This is intriguing to me. I’m very curious to hear some scenarios/cases where there was a unique and interesting foreign start-up in China, quickly copied by other foreigners in China, and it seems any more cut-throat or unique than it would be in any other country?

Keymaster

This is intriguing to me. I’m very curious to hear some scenarios/cases where there was a unique and interesting foreign start-up in China, quickly copied by other foreigners in China, and it seems any more cut-throat or unique than it would be in any other country?

It’s far more cut throat here than anywhere else on earth, I believe. The “win at all costs” mindset is more heavily entrenched in China than anywhere I have seen. Whether or not it’s expats or locals is less of an important issue to me. We’re all in this environment.

“Firms in a competitive market cannot afford to be ethical, any more than a tiger can afford to be gentle.” – R. Posner

Participant

It’s far more cut throat here than anywhere else on earth, I believe

That’s what I’m trying to qualify. The posts by Fran gave me the impression there were specific thefts, and I’m curious what sort of foreign-started businesses were ripped off by other foreign-started businesses, which had some level of ingenuity or innovation behind them. I don’t see a whole lot of innovative foreign business in China…..mostly bars, restaurants, ‘service’ for other newer expats, etc.

Keymaster

I don’t see a whole lot of innovative foreign business in China…..mostly bars, restaurants, ‘service’ for other newer expats, etc.

Right, that is true. To be fair, you would have to be pretty insane to be doing some kind of radically innovative business in China as an expat. You would be highly disadvantaged and probably have your competitive edge ripped off immediately.

Participant

Interesting discussion ^^.

I’d like to add that competition or copy-cats (to a certain degree) might have positive side – in my case it makes me more pro-active/ putting more effort.

Let me add this times’ guest panel speakers (in addition to a 20 minutes presentation about the mentioned topic, the usual “idea pitches”, etc):
    *Jason Wu, General Manager – Chengdu Lyceum MICE Co. [PR planning agency]
    *Ellen Zhou, Assistant Marketing & Media Manager – Lan Kwai Fong Chengdu

Cheers and all welcome to join tomorrow!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.