Weird Cultural Differences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeird Cultural Differences

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve almost been here for half a year, and I have to say there are some weird/gross stuff that frankly, I’m not used to. I usually save this stuff for my blog, but I’m interested in what you guys have to say as well…

– couple sit on the same side of the table instead of sitting across from each other to talk

– longjohns are popular

– people give each other apples on christmas eve

– all the dudes hold the purses

– that spitting…

– people freaking out at you when you clean up your own mess at mcdonalds

– gyms open at 10am (so late…)

– elevators have different functions at different times of the day

– Starbucks has practically no syrup (

i want my fancy drinks!!!)

– the coffee line is during lunch, not the morning

Participant

-all the couples I saw were sit face to face

-After watching Hangover part 2, I thought Long John’s popular world wide, I was wrong, wasn’t I?

-I never seen anyone give others apple, maybe Apple products?

-they have to hold their girl’s fucking bag, otherwise you won’t have any girls

-that’s true, so embarrassing, not everyone do this, people who do this are those who lack of education

-in China, there are restaurant staff help you clean your table, it’s their job, they get pay from it

-there are few people in gyms in the morning, young people have to work, old people don’t go to gym, I have been to one gym at 11am, only got one person there

-haven’t experienced this problem

-not sure about this, don’t like coffee too much

-it’s not tradition to drink coffee, so maybe they just want to energize themselves after lunch

Participant

-all the couples I saw were sit face to face

-After watching Hangover part 2, I thought Long John’s popular world wide, I was wrong, wasn’t I?

-I never seen anyone give others apple, maybe Apple products?

-they have to hold their girl’s fucking bag, otherwise you won’t have any girls

-that’s true, so embarrassing, not everyone do this, people who do this are those who lack of education

-in China, there are restaurant staff help you clean your table, it’s their job, they get pay from it

-there are few people in gyms in the morning, young people have to work, old people don’t go to gym, I have been to one gym at 11am, only got one person there

-haven’t experienced this problem

-not sure about this, don’t like coffee too much

-it’s not tradition to drink coffee, so maybe they just want to energize themselves after lunch

With the exception of the SPITTING I would have to say you can live with them. But again the spitting did occur in Beijing. Have they not heard of TB etc?

But after being in Beijing you ignore it.

With the exception of the SPITTING I would have to say you can live with them. But again the spitting did occur in Beijing. Have they not heard of TB etc?

But after being in Beijing you ignore it.

Keymaster

– the cooler in every convenience store is turned off, and drinks inside the cooler are room temperature

– people I talk to for 5 seconds asking if we can be friends

– people yelling when I’m right next to them

– men wearing Uggs

– Hooters serving warm water in coffee mugs while eating hot wings

– people have umbrellas attached to their bicycles, or giant mittens attached to their e-bike handlebars

– the street side tea/coffee shop that I pass on my way to the subway every morning doesn’t open till 11am. thousands walk by it in the morning commute from 8-10am. here’s the weird part: no one finds it the slightest bit odd that it’s not open in the morning

– parents urging toddlers to call me uncle within two seconds of seeing me for the first time

Keymaster

– the cooler in every convenience store is turned off, and drinks inside the cooler are room temperature

– people I talk to for 5 seconds asking if we can be friends

– people yelling when I’m right next to them

– men wearing Uggs

– Hooters serving warm water in coffee mugs while eating hot wings

– people have umbrellas attached to their bicycles, or giant mittens attached to their e-bike handlebars

– the street side tea/coffee shop that I pass on my way to the subway every morning doesn’t open till 11am. thousands walk by it in the morning commute from 8-10am. here’s the weird part: no one finds it the slightest bit odd that it’s not open in the morning

– parents urging toddlers to call me uncle within two seconds of seeing me for the first time

Participant

There is a joke from Li Bo Qing (About him), Chengdu people will ask you whatever they see you are doing. Such as, if you are eating noodle, they will ask “eating noodle huh?”, if you are biting a patty, they will ask ” hey you eating patty?”, if they meet you in the toilet, they would be like “nature calls?”, the most intolerable thing is, if they saw you squat in those slots, they would be ” taking shit?” hilarious but it’s true 🙂

Participant

There is a joke from Li Bo Qing (About him), Chengdu people will ask you whatever they see you are doing. Such as, if you are eating noodle, they will ask “eating noodle huh?”, if you are biting a patty, they will ask ” hey you eating patty?”, if they meet you in the toilet, they would be like “nature calls?”, the most intolerable thing is, if they saw you squat in those slots, they would be ” taking shit?” hilarious but it’s true 🙂

Damn the cooler thing is annoying as hell.

That is Chengdu specific never occured to me in beijing.

Damn the cooler thing is annoying as hell.

That is Chengdu specific never occured to me in beijing.

Participant

No need to be confused by the strange things here. Fortunately, Chinese people have devise the 3 All-encompassing Explanations For Absolutely Everything. What are the 3 AEEAE’s? C’mon, you’ve heard ’em a thousand times:

1.China is a developing country.

2.China has a large population

3. (my personal favorite) China has 5000 years of history

To illustrate the awesomeness, let’s use a few examples:

*Why do some drivers here refuse to use headlights at night? (see 1, 2, or 3 above)

*Why did that girl order a 36 kuai mocha grande, have literally 3 sips, then leave with the cup 90 % full (and why should i pay for it?) (again, 1,2 or 3)

*Why go to the gym, pull out your i-phone, and sit around without doing any apparent exercise ?(see above)

*Hey, why is that woman letting her baby take a dump in the middle of this busy street? (take your choice from the above 3).

No need to fret over the apparently inexplicable things here. Just consult the 3 AEEAE’s. Doesn’t really matter which one you choose, they all work….

Participant

No need to be confused by the strange things here. Fortunately, Chinese people have devise the 3 All-encompassing Explanations For Absolutely Everything. What are the 3 AEEAE’s? C’mon, you’ve heard ’em a thousand times:

1.China is a developing country.

2.China has a large population

3. (my personal favorite) China has 5000 years of history

To illustrate the awesomeness, let’s use a few examples:

*Why do some drivers here refuse to use headlights at night? (see 1, 2, or 3 above)

*Why did that girl order a 36 kuai mocha grande, have literally 3 sips, then leave with the cup 90 % full (and why should i pay for it?) (again, 1,2 or 3)

*Why go to the gym, pull out your i-phone, and sit around without doing any apparent exercise ?(see above)

*Hey, why is that woman letting her baby take a dump in the middle of this busy street? (take your choice from the above 3).

No need to fret over the apparently inexplicable things here. Just consult the 3 AEEAE’s. Doesn’t really matter which one you choose, they all work….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    (my personal favorite) China has 5000 years of history

My favorite as well. This comes up so often.

Reminds me of this: Man Whose Ancestors Invented Calligraphy Takes Crap on Subway

Keymaster
    Quote:
    (my personal favorite) China has 5000 years of history

My favorite as well. This comes up so often.

Reminds me of this: Man Whose Ancestors Invented Calligraphy Takes Crap on Subway

@Ray lol. funny and true

– preference for squat toilets and how there’s always puddles of piss AROUND them. Y U NO AIM?

– the smell of open sewage. inside, outside, everywhere. Need to find a bathroom? follow the smell

– litter and dog (sometimes human) shit

– pale equals beauty

– most internet users in the world, but slow and restricted

ditto on the cooler thing

@Ray lol. funny and true

– preference for squat toilets and how there’s always puddles of piss AROUND them. Y U NO AIM?

– the smell of open sewage. inside, outside, everywhere. Need to find a bathroom? follow the smell

– litter and dog (sometimes human) shit

– pale equals beauty

– most internet users in the world, but slow and restricted

ditto on the cooler thing

Participant

ya… you gotta watch every step you take. you can step in shit, piss, or fall down a hole.

– ive seen someone sneeze and wipe his snot on the walls

– hot girls picking their noses on the elevators

– man walking around with shirt off, pants on, no underwear, and his wang sticking out

– i don’t like how mcdonalds automatically gives me a cokes intead of asking me what drink i would like…

Participant

ya… you gotta watch every step you take. you can step in shit, piss, or fall down a hole.

– ive seen someone sneeze and wipe his snot on the walls

– hot girls picking their noses on the elevators

– man walking around with shirt off, pants on, no underwear, and his wang sticking out

– i don’t like how mcdonalds automatically gives me a cokes intead of asking me what drink i would like…

Participant

omg… the super long pinky nails. where i’m from, people normally keep their pinky nails longer to sniff crack. >__> here it’s good luck or for nose picking…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 264 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.