Weird Cultural Differences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeird Cultural Differences

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant

maybe, i was from Marse. then.

🙂

Participant

Would having free standing houses classify as “Weird cultural differences”?I have not seen any suburbs with these. In S.Africa this is the norm as in the USA and some other countries. If you have a house like this you usually have a double garage that many people use for hobbies.Service your own car.Make some furniture.Make gates etc…. Now we got to the DIY bit.With that comes a small worksop..new business start-up..INNOVATION that China lacks.Don’t forget the women!Making of clothes,baking and selling cakes and pastries.Compare patents by country(on this site) and you have ask why.

Participant

A culture of being usefully busy,not with a cellphone glued to your ear.

Participant

@GAVVIE There are free standing houses, just not in the city centers.. there are several big/expensive developments in the west and south with these kind of houses – one of my coworkers lives in a 3 floor house with garage. Back when he bought it, it was cheap, like 3500/sqm!

So Rick. How do you find out whether somebody is simply after your Passport?

Maybe I’d tell my date that im planning to renounce my citizenship and become a proud citizen of the People’s Republic.

Participant

Today saw Porsche Boxster convertible (sweet). Beautiful sunny day today. Top is up.

Laowai on bike = human garbage (me)

Participant

Some more weird differences: Apparently the wearing of shorts on the bus and in the city is OUT,and we have such nice weather now. Only about 50% humidity.When we visit with family,it is always for lunch AND dinner.Is this usual? Beat this if you can…selling of used false teeth!Oh well…waste not,want not.

Females won’t bare their legs here, lest the sun tan away the chalky pastiness, I mean, milky, white, beautiful skin.

I wore shorts the entire weekend but felt alone in doing so.

And yes ladies: Mini dress and flesh coloured tights … Really?

Participant

Reading exchanges between Rick and Linka here made me feel a kind of sad. Maybe I’m too serious about this whole relationship mess.

In some people’s mind, love should not have any conditions. Personal possessions (an one bedroom pad, on a bicycle, or a fancy convertible; a Laowai or a Chinaman for that matter) should not be in the equation at all, unless you want to be a material girl/guy (nothing is wrong with that, by the way. It is just not my cup of tea). And lust should not be the only excuse either (don’t take me wrong. job skills between the sheets is one of the factor, and unfortunately it can be an important factor in relationship).

People get together for purposes, good or bad. In fact, people should have great expectations (I hate the notion of a so called simple life. Sorry). After all, it should be what motivates us in anything we do, right? Therefore, using marriage to gain things (green card, assets, fames, comforts, etc) is unreliable to say the lest.

What is the most important thing in relationships? Soul mate! It doesn’t matter what you are or possess, and it comes in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and forms, don’t mind the skin color, the citizenship, age, even gender. So, let it be!

Live and let live. Let yourself live the way you want to live, and let others live the way they want, too!

My two cents. lol

Participant

@Vic

Sad, lonely, heartbroken HIPPY! If you had more than two cents you’d not feel the need to rant about “soul mate” nonsense! 😀

Participant

@Rick

too bad buddy!

vic has only two cents, but definitely not a HIPPY. lol

different strokes for different folks.

relationship ideals are just a part of “weird cultural differences”. Just have to agree to disagree there.

On another note, I wonder what goes through Chinese peoples’ heads when they try to storm the elevator or metro doors as soon as they open. Do they never expect people to be walking out? Even at metro stations with “先下后上“ spelled out in bold right in front of them. It always turns into an uncomfortable battle as both parties try to get through the doors.

It makes me irrationally angry, and I find myself subconsciously squaring up my shoulders to bowl people over.

Also the need to mash the the |> <| close door buttons. People will leap over and reach from across the elevator to hit that button.

Participant

@Ziich: some prominent social anthropologists have speculated that the Chinese people’s predilection for storming the elevator is due to their 5000 years of history. Evidently elevators operating during the Tang, Ming, Qing and Yuan dynasties were also very crowded….

Participant

@vic

我猜你可以看得懂我的中文,因为之前我发的中文帖子你能明白我的意思。

基于我已经有一段时间没在这个论坛发帖,是因为我已经打定主意不在这里发帖,但是这个帖子算是回复你的吧。所以我用中文,你可以看懂就好了。

我完全同意你的说法,精神上的交流和碰撞是两性关系里最重要的,只有这一部分能达到共鸣才能真正的有一个比较良好的关系。

但是,我想这世界上又有多少人有资格获得真正的爱呢?这一点我持有很大的怀疑。

真正的爱情只来自于灵魂高贵的人,当卑贱的灵魂寻找的是身体的满足,刺激的性欲,豪宅,名车,很多钱,面子,虚荣心。那么当然,所找到的自然是所追求的。

高贵的灵魂通常具有很强的羞耻心和慈悲心,也具有很强的对生命的美感的领悟,羞耻心会让一个人拒绝从另一个生命体里获得利益的好处,慈悲心会让一个人拒绝以满足自己的利益而去欺骗另一个生命体去伤害别人,对生命的美感的领悟会让一个人自给自足,自己能对自己的生命质量有一个很高的完成。

凡是没有高贵灵魂的人,不管他多么的有钱,皮肤多么的白,样子多么的好看,地位多么的高,实际上都是生命的次等品。

生命的次等品是得不到真正的爱情的。有的只是变相的利益等价交换。

这是我的观点。

写给你 :)

Participant

Here’s another weirdie – a local friend recently told me that some Chinese will eat eggs boiled in the pee of a baby boy as it is meant to give them strength and purity or something

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Here’s another weirdie – a local friend recently told me that some Chinese will eat eggs boiled in the pee of a baby boy as it is meant to give them strength and purity or something

I heard that also, I think this tradition is from Guangdong (as with most stories of Chinese people eating weird things, it seems).

Keymaster
    Quote:

I heard that also, I think this tradition is from Guangdong (as with most stories of Chinese people eating weird things, it seems).

Participant

So kids piss in eggs, just to let adults eat them… Creepy, not as creepy as Greeks and what they do to boys… These creepy traditions are very questionable in my eyes…

Participant

So kids piss in eggs, just to let adults eat them… Creepy, not as creepy as Greeks and what they do to boys… These creepy traditions are very questionable in my eyes…

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 264 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.