What's Up with Google?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat's Up with Google?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know there’s been a funny relationship with Google services in China for a number of years, but in the past few weeks it’s been impossible. The HK search engine still works most of the time, but none of my custom searches through Google.co.uk and a few others are successful. Hangouts has also stopped working.

I normally connect through a VPN to get around this, but I’ve just factory reset my Nexus 7 and don’t have access to those settings yet. Of course, the device is trying to speak to Google to get set-up and is getting nowhere.

Is there a way to get around the initial set-up, bar installing a custom ROM? Does anyone have a VPN router that I might be able to connect through?

Participant

My google translate app has also not been working. It could be due to the A n n i v e r s a r y of the thing that never happened last week.

Participant

That’s what I’ve heard, but it doesn’t make much sense. People maybe will search it at a slightly higher frequency at the moment. If people are using Baidu, it means that the CCP can still censor it, maybe? But what about Bing, Ask, Yahoo, and all the other search engines.

In fear of being censored, myself, I’ve ran the name of the event through an anagram server, and it’s returned some excellent results:

Easter Mannequin
    Stern Queen Mania
    Arena Inquest Men
    Men Near Antiques
    And my personal favourite, Quarantine Semen

Participant

Greatfire dot org… are saying it’s just google. Some youtube videos on Y tube. They have lost 50% traffic this week.

Participant
    Participant

That article looks worryingly correct. Why is it a year after the Snowdon, Prism, NSA thing that this is happening though, I wonder.

Online forums tell me that I won’t be able to skip this part of the setup on my Nexus, so I’m stuck for the time being. Unless anyone knows of a way to broadcast a VPN or proxy connection so that I can connect with the device.

If you have access to a computer with both a wifi and ethernet connection then you could create an access point/adhoc network, then connect to internet via ethernet and dial your VPN. A quick google revealed a lifehacker wireless hotspot guide for windows:

http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

If that isn’t an option then drop me a message.

Participant

Probably due to the latest spying accusations. And you can try OpenVPN for android, but I haven’t had much luck in my limited experience.

Participant

I was able to set up my Android phone as a portable hotspot and dial my VPN. Thanks for the suggestions, now I’m all set. 🙂

Keymaster

I think this is because of the 25th anniversary last week. It looks like Google is completely blocked now, which is a huge hassle. Oh well, looks like I will never be turning my VPN off anymore.

Participant

It took about 4 days to download the Android 4.3.3 update. And I can’t seem to update my apps or get new news on Play Newsstand.

Lets hope this is only temporary.

Participant

works just fine for me today

Participant

Yah — VPN saves the day once more. It’s slower than usual though, for me.. sometimes my youtube doesn’t stream as smoothly (even on 144, wtf.) as it used to consistently.

Heard that this may be a bit of a more permanent situation than we would like. Since it has been what, a week, seems that may be the case.

Participant

My VPN is also having problems connecting and staying connected. I really hope this isn’t long term. It’s been bad for a similar amount of time in the past. What are your sources, Rick?

Participant

I’ll try to find where I read that. There were several Chinese articles linked within my company and I looked up everything I could on the topic, so I don’t now if it is something that specifically read like that with credence or just something I gleaned from the overall tone.

“In an effort to prevent the dissemination of information related to this event, the Chinese censorship authorities have severely blocked most Google services in China, including search and Gmail,” wrote Greatfire.org, a site that monitors the Chinese net, in an e-mail to Bloomberg News. “Our gut feeling is this disruption may be permanent.”

Keymaster

My VPN is also having problems connecting and staying connected.

They’re interfering with VPN connections. I’ve heard that it’s better to use L2TP connections than PPTV. I’ve been having problems also though. The internet in China is such a joke.

They’re interfering with VPN connections. I’ve heard that it’s better to use L2TP connections than PPTV.

PPTP

I think it’s an evil mix of heavy handed QoS and deep packet analysis. At least torrents are still downloading ok….

As the internet speed inside China increases, it feels like the connection speed to outside China decreases. I guess that is also a contributing factor; not enough transit for the influx of faster connections.

Participant

For those without a VPN, you can access Google at “s i n a a p p . c o”

Participant

I’m still having problems with my vpn.  I have been using Astrill for months worked perfectly, but since this change or block.  It’s been pretty unstable.  I have noticed that some servers especially HK and Taiwan get blocked just after 10am it must be when the great firewall guys have to start work after eating their breakfast and checking their QQ accounts.  I’m surprised it doesn’t come back on between 11:30am – 2:00pm when they are all at lunch.  Also I switched to openVPN which seems more stable for torrents.

From my experience OpenVPN is even worse, unless you are using a version compiled with the obfuscation patch. PPTP and L2TP/IPsec work fine for short periods of time.

Why use a VPN for torrents? Surely you risk DCMA notices and it’s slower.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.