Where can I buy a bicycle??

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhere can I buy a bicycle??

• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know there’s a Giant shop off Kehua and 2nd Ring Road. Any others? Or if not, does anyone have a friend looking to sell? I need a large frame as I’m pretty tall. Any ideas?

Participant

Buying a Giant is a bad idea, it will last all of two weeks. Get yourself a cheap chinese road bike, preferably 2nd hand (already stolen once). Go to Jiuyanqiao across from seven club or whatever and ask the sketchy looking guys about bikes. Or buy a new cheap road bike from one the clusters of bike shops around the city. Getting a cheap bike is important because you can get it repaired very cheaply in all the back alley shops. I’m also pretty tall 6″1 and ride a normal Chinese Road bike, just raise the seat and handlebar stem and pump like a BMX bike. hope this helps

Participant

anywhere in yulin or tongzilin to get secondhand bikes?

Participant

You can cruise on over to the used (illegal) bike market in JiuYanQiao

Participant

doubtful about tongzilin, however i bet there are some spots in yulin. often the little bike fixer up spots have random bikes lying around in various levels of disrepair. make them an offer.

be prepared to bargain at the bike market 140-200RMB is the range you should get for an average bike

Participant

i love a good rustbucket, how much should i be paying for something of a more dubious condition? 50? 100?

Participant

50 or 100 RMB is a bad call in my opinion but search and you will find.

why not just steal a rusty bike? it’s not that difficult.

Participant

50 or 100 RMB is a bad call in my opinion but search and you will find.

why not just steal a rusty bike? it’s not that difficult.

Participant

@ Towelie; man, you can get a nice bike, just use some common sense. i have a decent 1600 kuai Merida, almost one year now unstolen (touch wood). Some tips: get a good lock (i paid 200 kuai), preferably imported. Put it in your apartment if possible (i lugged mine up to the 7th floor for two years. Now have a lift, lord have mercy!). At work/school, see if you can put it indoors. But yeah, there is a decent chance it’ll get taken. I can accept one stolen quality bike a year. Still cheaper and easier than buses/cabs…

Participant
    Quote:
    Buying a Giant is a bad idea, it will last all of two weeks.

Really? They look pretty professional. Though you have to pay upwards of 1000 rmb for the cheapest one. And if it’s going to be your main mode of transportation (as it will be for me), why not make sure the product is quality? Riding a bike BMX style where your knees are up by your chest will destroy my knees, as I like to bike pretty hard, and I already have bad knees, so a properly sized frame is extra important. I’ll try out the spots mentioned. Maybe I can find an large older frame and pay a bike shop for the rest of the pieces. Sounds like a new project! Better work on my sichuan hua biking terminology…

Participant
    Participant

@ Ray: did you purchase your Merida at a shop? If so, where?

Participant

Yeah, got it on kehua bei lu, just past the Hooters restaurant, opposite the bridge (on the corner with 2nd ring road). The guys are pretty cool there. They wont negotiate on price, but you should be able to get something free (maybe light or helmet). Those guys are also good for repairs. I needed spokes replaced and they were good and cheap. There is also a new, much bigger merida store in Gaoshengqiao, turn left at the big bookstore when youre on 1st ring rod, then about 200 metres on the right (sorry don’t know street names). Merida is pretty much Giant-level of bike, but i’ve found them to be a little sturdier and slightly cheaper for equivalent Shimano components…

Participant

Actually its hard to find a “Giant sized” bike in the Giant shop. If you want a bigger bike, go to Decathalon, they also service them for free. My roomie got a “B-twin” bikes and likes it a lot.

If you wanna get a 2nd hand bike, go to Zong Lie Ci Jie(忠烈祠街). It’s near the cellphone street. 80% of those are stolen bikes, you can find pretty good ones. Remember to bargain hard.

Participant

Those stolen bike guys make Jabba the Hut look like an English gentlemen…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.