Where to buy an IP Card

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhere to buy an IP Card

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

I’ve recently arrived in Chengdu for a few months of study. I have a China Mobile SIM for my iPhone but need to be able to call both the UK and Australia regularly. From my web research I believe an IP card is my best (cheapest!) solution?

Everything I’ve read suggested that these things are easy to pick up, but this week I’ve tried several convenience stores, a Metro supermarket, a Hong Qi Chain branch and a China Mobile shop. I know my Mandarin is very poor, but mostly people don’t have a clue what I want.

Can anyone recommend an actual shop where these cards can be bought? I’m in Guanghua District but am frequently in the City Centre (TianFu Square / Chunxi Rd).

Thanks,

AdamW

Participant

Would Skype not meet your needs? The data used on phone calls is pretty small and I don’t think you could beat $0.023-$0.1/min with these cards. Connection is pretty good too most of the time.

You can also get a real (Skype) number for $18 for 3 months so people can call you on that.

Keymaster

I would go to a China Mobile, China Telecom, or China Unicom location to buy a SIM card. As far as I know it will cost you a lot to call overseas with your phone – I don’t have any specific info on “IP cards” though. Good luck!

Participant

Thanks for you replies!

Vincent, thanks for suggesting Skype – I hadn’t used it for many years and had forgotten you could make paid calls to landlines.  I think I’ll give that a shot before any more attempts at “Ni mai IP Ka, ma?”!

AdamW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.