Working out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

HomeForumsIn ChengduWorking out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

• This topic has 134 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photocoryg.
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thanks Jerry! I have also seen online there is a Crossfit gym that has opened a few weeks ago – Crossfit Tianfu. They are offering free trials on wechat.

Does anyone actually know what the quality and cost for Sichuan University gym is for students there? Cannot find any information on it at all……

Participant

This post still active?  I’ve been looking for a gym close to my apartment in the Wuhou district.  I’ve looked at tons of places recently and still can’t find a gym with a little bit of everything.  I’m joining with my wife and are looking for something with a pool.  If it doesn’t have a pool, then at least a sauna/steam room.  Legend Fitness is down the road from my apartment but noticed that half of the machines are broken and what is working looks questionable.  Price is dirt cheap, 1798 RMB for 2 people for the year.  Also looked at Pioneer Fitness which quoted us at 4,000 RMB for 1 year for 2 people.  Wasn’t that impressed with them either.  Whyte wolf is pretty decent and I didn’t haggle on the price since it is kind’ve far.  Imported equipment and they have a sauna.  Without negotiating 3,5000 RMB per year.  Pretty sure they are quite flexible on the price.  A really nice gym just opened by the Joh Yen Chao (I know that isn’t spelled correctly) bridge that is 34xx RMB per year.  All equipment is from the US and it is a really clean Western style gym.  No sauna, steam room or anything like that.  Shangri la has the nicest gym in the city but also the most expensive.  Anyone have any other recommendations?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Cory

Participant

The place by Joh Yen Chao is called WooTon.  It has a restaurant on the bottom floor and the gym is upstairs.  Worth checking out if you live over there.

Participant

Emma741, there is no decent gym at Sichuan University.  I used to work there and everything on campus looks like something out of the “Grapes of Wrath”.

Participant

The gym I can recommend does not have a pool, but I think it is big and friendly, with some cool classes and even though it is not full of foreigners, they welcomed me and sponsored me for my parkour. They are called Mission Fitness Or Mishang Fitness, located in The Wanda Plaza right across the road from Renmin North Metro station on Line 1. If you go there and tell them that you know Gary, the Parkour Foreigner you should easily get a good price on a year or two’s membership. I am estimating about 2000-2500 yuan. The main manager I know is called Yi

my wechat is 18613206153 Just ad me and I will send you his wechat and et him or another staff member I know and trust to take care of you. guys 😛

Participant

Awesome. Thanks for the update. I’ll go check out Wooton now as I live nearby.

Participant

I signed up for Wooton, by far the nicest gym i have ever seen in China. As i am only here for 4 months i paid a relatively high price but it’s definitely worth it. Also because it is new there aren’t too many people in there… well at least not today anyway.

On another note i forgot to bring my protein shaker to China and cannot find one anywhere! All i am looking for is virtually a drink bottle with a metal ball in it.. any ideas???

Thanks, Emma

Participant

As I understand the Megafit location at Chunxi Rd is now closed. Does anyone know if there is any other good gym with lifting essentials (squat rack, bench, dumbbells) in the immediate area?

Participant

In that area I know of 3 places. You can go to Physical in the IFS building which is going to be the nicest/most expensive option. To give you an idea my wife paid 3300 for 12 month membership. You can go to Pioneer Fitness which is where I go. It is a 10 minute walk from Chunxi Lu 财富中心. That is a nice gym but nothing fancy. Clean locker room, sauna, clean showers, new equipment. Has what you have requested. Price is much cheaper. I paid 2600 for 2 years in October but they recently remodeled and added 7-8 new machines. I don’t know if they raised the price or not. Last I believe there is a legend fitness somewhere in that area. That will be your cheapest option. No idea on the exact location but it should be on their website.

Participant

Do you also know if they still offer short term memberships (1 or 3 months or even less) and how much it would cost?

Keymaster

Can anyone recommend a gym around the US Consulate, or the Yulin or Tongzilin area?

Participant

Can anyone recommend a gym around the US Consulate, or the Yulin or Tongzilin area?

If I were looking for a commercial gym in that area I’d probably go to that 24/7 B-Active place in Poly Center. I went there for a workout with Brendan and Chris not so long ago. It’s surprisingly clean, not too busy and the equipment is decent.

That being said, I just found their pricelist online and a normal subscription is actually pretty pricy. The off-peak pass is doable, though, if you enjoy training at irregular times.

null

Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Can anybody give the address of WooTon please.</p>
    I live in TongZhiLin No.1 (near South railway station, Auchan) and looking for gym.

Thanks.

Best commercial gym in this area is the ‘Physical’ Raffles City location. The free weight area is a little small, but it’s a well enough equipped gym for most.

b-active is a convenient spot, but even the fact that they have 55kg dumbbells doesn’t redeem the insult that is their membership fee/s.

Participant

Does anyone know a nice gym around century city / tianfu 3rd st area?

Participant

Hello Peulleche,

I just opened a gym , Elite Fitness: Chengdu, in that area last week. We offer TRX classes, Yoga, Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA, Cardio, and CrossFit. We also have a rooftop beer garden that has parties every friday night after training. Add me on WeChat, CGlenn80, and let me know when you have time to stop by and check us out.

I hope to see you soon.

Collin

Participant

Can anyone help me with crossfit terms in Chinese? Is it even translated? I’m after words like kettlebell swing, thrusters, medicine ball slams, etc thanks for your help!

Participant

There’s a bit of a price war going on right now amongst gyms here. I was just quoted 2450 for one year at Physical, or two years for 3600. This a good deal for what i consider to be a (mostly) excellent gym. I know Brendan has just found what he describes as a great gym near SM square and he also scored an excellent deal there. if you live anywhere near Yu Lin a huge new place has just opened too. It’s a good time to be looking for a membership….

Participant

I know Brendan has just found what he describes as a great gym near SM square and he also scored an excellent deal there. if you live anywhere near Yu Lin a huge new place has just opened too. It’s a good time to be looking for a membership….

Is there more than one SM Square? I’m down the street from the one up north on 2nd ring, so I’d love to know more. I work out at the Mirako there and my membership is up in a few months; I’d prefer a place that opens before 10am and has more space for weights.

Participant

There is another new one opening right on Kehua Bei Lu in a couple of weeks. It’s called All Day Fitness and is in front of the Xanadu hotel. They are not open yet but have some pieces of equipment, including a body composition analyzer, that can be checked out for free in the meantime. List price is 1888 for one year.

Megafit on Shuhan Lu opens at 8, but it’s on the small and dingy side.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.