Writer Looking for Some Help, Again!

HomeForumsIn ChengduWriter Looking for Some Help, Again!

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

And as a backup, what are people’s favorite places in Xiaotong Lu? Even if it’s a few years old, it sounds pretty established and cool. Might there be more variety there?

Participant

Just thought I’d ping this and see if anyone else has any more thoughts. Thanks guys!

Participant

Patrick I replied to your PM

Participant

Thanks Ian. For some reason, I’m not seeing it in my inbox. Feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

I’d like to suggest The Poly Centre.

Chengdu has areas doing far more for the city’s cultural enterprise than the Poly Centre, which as far as I can see so far is on shaky ground. Hats off to anyone having a go at something, but the chips appear (un)fairly stacked there.

Patrick are you already here and underway on this? I would have said why not do a feature on Chengdu’s rising Art scene, which has continued to unfold widely in the last year. There are galleries/studios springing up across the city, supporting a burgeoning collective of artists working across a multitude of mediums. There’s been a very noticeable shift in emphasis towards the arts from within government over the last few months, with many new projects underway. There are individuals right here within the forum who would have something to say/show, and I’d be happy to introduce you to someone who’ll give you the inside track on what’s happening inside and out of Chengdu.

Participant

Thanks Brendan. I am actually working remotely on this one as it’s too short to warrant a visit. Ian is helping me with information on U37 Creative as I think it’s the best fit for BA at this time.

Having said that, I’m very interested in the art scene. You said that there’s a noticeable shift toward encouraging art from within the government. Is that uncommon across broader China? Is this shift unique to Chengdu or is it happening in other big cities? If it’s something definitely unique to Chengdu, it could warrant a larger story.

Is this shift unique to Chengdu or is it happening in other big cities?

I’d say there are two answers to that. One is that Beijing (government) is looking to grow the arts across China, recognising the economic benefits that come with engaging them. What appears to be happening in Chengdu is a lean toward development of the arts that is tied in with abundantly available land. That lean is coming not just from a (local/provincial) government looking to attract more people (and money) into Chengdu, but also from a rapidly rising middle class who are clearly hungry for new expression and culture.

It really is boom time for Chengdu.

Participant

How is it being tied in with the amount of land available?

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.