Chengdu Traffic Update

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChengdu Traffic Update

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Over the holiday there was some outcry about a new regulation that severely restricted driving in Chengdu. The regulation requires cars with certain numbers to stay either INSIDE or OUTSIDE of the Second Ring Road.

So people with license plates that ended in even or odd, were restricted to half the city. Locals called it Red and White Hot Pot (Red hot pot being the red circle around the white hot pot middle).

People got so pissed at this arguably retarded regulation, that the city sent everyone a text message the other day: buses between 2nd and 3rd Rings are free and the Metro is 20% off. Below is the text of the message in Chinese.

成都为方便市民在尾号限行期间选择公交出行,推出限行区内44条公交线路免费,乘坐地铁8折优惠,地面公交和1、2线所有站点全面接驳等六项措施。

Participant

Now, not only the Second Ring Road, it’s Third Ring Road. For me it’s such a good thing.

The traffic jam is gone and i get free buses!

Keymaster

Whatever they can do to reduce traffic I am in favor of. Not everyone with a car in Chengdu should be given free reign over the roads – the city simply cannot handle it.

They should just extend the rule to cover everything within the 3rd ring. Currently the rule covers between the 2nd and 3rd ring, and most major arteries in to the city centre.

Reducing the cost of an already cheap public transport system seems a bit of a pointless compensation to people who can afford a car. I would imagine most will turn to electric bikes or a 2nd car. Although it will only affect them 1 day/week.

Participant

I saw a map in a text news item about this today, but thought it had some exception road/main veins that allowed people to pass between the 1st/3rd sections.

Either way, traffic has been getting ridiculous, so ridiculous I pretty much refuse to drive during peak hours +/- an hour.

I agree with Ben about the “compensation”, saving a couple mao on sub fare isn’t going to quell angry drivers. Then again, the fact fuel is so expensive and traffic is so bad hasn’t been much of a deterrent so I guess maybe they need to be angered for a while until subway construction calms down and road ways relax a bit.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Either way, traffic has been getting ridiculous, so ridiculous I pretty much refuse to drive during peak hours +/- an hour.

Me too. During those hours the subway can be completely packed, like public buses sometimes. Now is a great time to be a bicyclist in Chengdu.

Participant
    Quote:
    Now is a great time to be a bicyclist in Chengdu.

I love cycling in Chengdu but the air next to all those buses and cars, especially on the 1st ring road, is one word, horrible.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I love cycling in Chengdu but the air next to all those buses and cars, especially on the 1st ring road, is one word, horrible.

No kidding, it can be really bad. Even just being in a car during that traffic is awful.

If you’re on a bike I’d advise staying off the ring roads, especially during heavy traffic. And/or buy this: Respro Sportsta

Participant

actually this was announced the thursday before the holiday as i have been told.

in anycase, its throwing everyone’s schedules in a loop and carpooling is something people need to get acquainted with now…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.