Facebook Being Unblocked in Shanghai

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFacebook Being Unblocked in Shanghai

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

China to lift ban on Facebook – but only within Shanghai free-trade zone

This seems like a very strange decision to me – I wonder what effect headlines of this will have on the Chinese media (will Chinese people care?). My understanding is that very few people in China (above 90%) are even aware of so many of the biggest sites on the internet being blocked in China, due to all the clones. Does anyone think this will raise awareness of that?

I doubt there are many expats in Chengdu who don’t have VPN access, but being able to skip the entire VPN process would be nice considering how buggy they can be.

Participant

Baa, with the whole NSA shit goin on, no point in having facebook. I deactivated it weeks ago. Plus it’s just old friends complaining about XYZ.

But Kudos  to China, slow progres.. I guess.. Next youtube? heh

Keymaster

Baa, with the whole NSA shit goin on, no point in having facebook. I deactivated it weeks ago. Plus it’s just old friends complaining about XYZ. But Kudos to China, slow progres.. I guess.. Next youtube? heh

I can relate to that. I’ve thought about deleting my Facebook account so many times. But since it is my last remaining way to connect with friends around the world who are important to me, I:

• Deleted almost all of my personal information from the site
    • Deleted 90% of my photos
    • Removed friends that aren’t real friends (ie, people that I met once traveling somewhere years ago or friends of friends that I don’t talk to)
    • Stopped updating Facebook

Deleting my Google account will be much harder but I am very slowly moving in that direction. Email is the toughest part because Gmail is so good.

Participant

Getting rid of FB is a good choice, not only about the NSA or FB is using people as target audience for ad companies, but also saves many headaches when applying for a job. Employers can use FB or twitter against a prospective new employee. The more information out there on someone the more likelihood on it being used against that person (rarely is it used in favor).

As for the friends thing, i feel ya too, but life moves on. I will see them again when i go back to states. Maybe ill active my FB just to say ‘hey im comin home, lets get some pizza.’

Google.. Tough cookie to get away from.. Gmail is my primary email, not sure if any other email services could compete with their functions…

Participant

The number of times I’ve been on a deleting spree on Facebook and had such a nice feeling of liberation. It makes me consider deleting my account, but it is so convenient for communicating with friends at home and abroad.

Although, I think Google is a permanent appendage now. Between gmail, calendar, drive, and the ability to sync all this with Android, it’s most of my online footprint.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.