Game of Thrones Season 3

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGame of Thrones Season 3

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Author

It’s memorial day weekend yes – but it’s on Monday not Sunday.. If that’s the case – I wonder how much pissed off soldier-fans there are that they can’t get their GoT on!

Apparently last years episode which aired on Memorial Day weekend had significantly lower viewing figures. This year the producers and HBO decided it would be best to delay the show for a week.

Keymaster

It’s memorial day weekend yes – but it’s on Monday not Sunday.. If that’s the case – I wonder how much pissed off soldier-fans there are that they can’t get their GoT on!

Apparently last years episode which aired on Memorial Day weekend had significantly lower viewing figures. This year the producers and HBO decided it would be best to delay the show for a week.

That’s a shame – I was looking forward to today’s episode. Oh well, next week I guess. It looks like Game of Thrones might conclude around the time that Breaking Bad starts again.

It looks like Game of Thrones might conclude around the time that Breaking Bad starts again.

Sadly not. There is a 2 month gap between Game of Thrones ending and Breaking Bad starting.

Keymaster

It looks like Game of Thrones might conclude around the time that Breaking Bad starts again.

Sadly not. There is a 2 month gap between Game of Thrones ending and Breaking bad starting.

Dang, you’re right, Breaking Bad doesn’t return until Sunday, August 11th. Meanwhile Game of Thrones has two episodes remaining. Looks like my Monday nights are going to be much more productive in the interim.

Still really looking forward to these last two Game of Thrones episodes. At least one of them has to be huge. Mother of dragons attacks King’s Landing? Maybe Joffrey will die some kind of spectacular death.

Participant

Maybe Joffrey will die some kind of spectacular death.

God lets hope so, he is boorish

Participant

Last two episodes June 2nd and 9th

Participant

Last nights episode. Best this season, not sure how they are going to top that for the final.

Participant

Last episode was good. Old Frey is sneaky, keeps his horde of fugly daughters out in the open and cupcakes hidden away from view 😀 The Jon Snow scene was good but surprised it didn’t end differently..

I think we all know the publicity about “one of” the female actresses saying she doesn’t want to be known for her titties but an actress, so wont do nude scenes… MUST be Daenerys, hopefully not – have a feeling there would be some ‘interesting’ scenes coming up with her and that badass merc charmer.

I don’t want to even discuss the end of this episode yet due to potential shocking spoilers.. but holy FUCK.

Best line of the episode:

A sword needs a sheath, and a wedding needs a bedding!

Keymaster

I don’t want to even discuss the end of this episode yet due to potential shocking spoilers.. but holy FUCK.

Holy shit, that final scene. That was incredible. I did not see that coming.

so. much. blood.

Keymaster

so. much. blood.

I think the way that final scene started was the most jarring thing I’ve seen in a TV show. Next level brutality for mainstream television.

I’d have to say I’m an even bigger fan of Game of Thrones now though. You really never know what’s going to happen.

Participant

Next level brutality for mainstream television

I don’t really agree with this. There are LOTS of TV shows with massive extremely brutal scenes – Spartacus was probably the front runner, probably still is. I think what made the Game of Thrones scenes so brutal is not the scenes themselves, but the fact they are characters that have had SO MUCH development that it’s almost heartbreaking to realize that this could actually happen to them.

In other words, I don’t think it was GRAPHICALLY as gore-y as a lot of TV I’ve seen. I DO think, however, that it was the most emotionally distressing scene I’ve seen in TV EVER, up to this point….and it floored me. I was fucking furious and amazed at the same time. FURIOUS.

edit: watching again to verify… all the stabbing cuttings shootings – there’s a little bit of blood pouring out his wife’s belly (no skin even visible), and the throat slit..but aside from that, it’s ONLY brutal when you have the context of the show itself. The actual brutality is really only presented if you have all of the show’s context and character development. That is what makes Game of Thrones amazing – you can get so immensely invested in characters that even though you don’t see the GORE, you feel like it was EXTREMELY brutal in how they depict a death. Simply amazing.

Participant

meh. i hated the 3 characters they killed off anyways. i spoiled the episode for myself on twitter, so i was expecting something HUGE to happen. what happened was a lot less than what went on in my head.

Keymaster

**Spoiler Alert**

I don’t really agree with this. There are LOTS of TV shows with massive extremely brutal scenes – Spartacus was probably the front runner, probably still is. I think what made the Game of Thrones scenes so brutal is not the scenes themselves, but the fact they are characters that have had SO MUCH development that it’s almost heartbreaking to realize that this could actually happen to them.

Do pregnant women get stabbed in the stomach in Spartacus? I had assumed that it was men killing men, not innocent women who are developed characters getting slaughtered. I haven’t seen the show though so I can’t compare.

Violent deaths in television are a dime a dozen but the Red Wedding scene was psychologically disturbing on a massive scale. The uproar has been tremendous, it was headline news in mainstream media.

The murder of Robb Stark is sad but understandable (he kind of deserved it, actually). But the murder of Catelyn and Talisa was very shocking and brutal. I didn’t see that coming at all. Fantastic twist and great drama, if you ask me.

Do pregnant women get stabbed in the stomach in Spartacus?

I had this exact though after reading Rick’s reply. Then I remembered that they do. Crixus stabs Lucretia, his dominus and the mother of his unborn child, in the stomach in the season 1 finale. This precedes a massive blood bath in which the slaves led by Spartacus gruesomely slaughter a few dozen Romans.

Spartacus is definitely more brutal and bloody, but as Charlie points out GoT has a much deeper psychological impact. The two really aren’t comparable in this way. It’s like comparing Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho.

Participant

Ok. Verified this:My wife doesn’t follow the series like I do, but she has seen the previous seasons with subtitles. Watching only the “red wedding” without context, she hated the fact I wanted to show her what I said was the most jarring thing I’ve seen on television – but after watching, didn’t think it was that bad at all…

I stand by what I’m saying: the scene isn’t “brutal”. It’s not beyond what TV shows as gorey or obscene. It is however…for viewers and those who pay attention to the series, likely the most emotional and “WHAT THE FUCK” type of scene in any TV or movie you’ve seen before. What makes it so is not the graphic content or the PG rating, but the investment in these characters as the heros – being brought to an end. The gritting reality that the heros you’re rooting for are….well, terminated. Much like Ned and Drogo before, those who would lead the heroic charge or be the key game changers in what would otherwise be a domination of “Evil” – get smacked down. We’re trained in a movie/series that the good guys win…this is obviously not a normal series. Who is the good guy now? Who “could be”? I advise anyone who thinks they have the answer not to get too involved in their answer, because they might get slaughtered later on….and they’ll be f’in furious. This series is great not only for the complexity and wonder, but the fact they’re not afraid at all to kill off what us, the audience, would consider as main characters. Fucking kill them all, for I….have to separate myself from any emotional involvement in any of them, the series has given me no hope in any character I’ve ‘loved’ and realize that it will turn any conventional “the hero(s) will come through in the end” on it’s fucking head, so stay along for the ride and lets watch fantasy epic history in the making.

I also change my “quote of the episode” to:

“One day I’m going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull”

She will..lets say…and I’ll be it’ll be under one of two circumstance:
    1) accidental
    2) at his request

Edit note: I also read that the “red wedding” was inspired by the “black dinner”, found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas#Black_Dinner

Participant

Downloading last Episode  no plot spoliers please

Participant

Downloading last Episode no plot spoliers please

The very fact you’ve re-opened this thread before watching it indicates a sort of… masochistic behavior 😀

Participant

I get no sexual pleasure from Game Of Thrones, but I know some who do.  Anyway just finished watching it.   A bit horse horse tiger tiger.

Participant

The sending him to bed without his dinner = best line of this episode.

It was enjoyable, summed up a few loose ends. I guess it’s all we could really expect after the Red Wedding! Awesome foreshadowing about the cook turned to mouse story, can’t wait to see what happens to Frey.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.