Getting a Motorcycle in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGetting a Motorcycle in Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am thinking of getting a motorbike, but a few questions arises.

1) How much do they range?

2) What correct license do i need to ride them?

I have a valid US motor vehicle license not sure if i need a motorbike license. I know i can swap my US motor license easily, but in the states there needs to be a motorbike license, is that the case in Chengdu? I would hate to go get a motorbike license (in the states), then transfer it when i get in Chengdu.

Any help would be nice!

Participant

There is no clear cut answer from the research im doing on this subject. Some sources say I can transfer my license over to China, but does that license entail that i can drive motorcycles?

Or should i put it like this this; can my motor vehicle license get me a motorcycle license? Or should i get a US motorcycle license, which can be transferred to Chinese motorcycle license?

Hope someone can hlep me out on this, been trying to understand this. I want to ride a motorbike/cycle in china… Not pedal my ass and have my legs cramp, with the possibility of having my bike stolen (nice article btw, i might get a good chain here before i go there).

Motorbike and car licenses are completely different in China. A car license does not allow you to ride a motorbike. Foreigners can obtain a Chinese motorbike license using their foreign license. However, I am unsure as to if that foreign license needs to be for a motorbike.

You would be far better on an electric bike. You can’t legally ride motorbikes inside the 2nd ring road without special plates which cost a fortune.

Keymaster

I don’t think you can exchange a US motorcycle license for one here, you’ll have to take the test. A veteran rider who lived in Chengdu for many years (Carl Parker) offers a PDF download of the motorcycle drivers test that you’ll have to take on his website: http://www.carlparker.com/chengdu/

Ben is right though, driving in the city is a real pain. The best case scenario to have a motorcycle in China, in my opinion after owning one for years, is to use it for trips outside of the city. Weekend trips to other places in Sichuan or longer trips to different provinces, etc. Driving inside the city you’ll get pulled over and police will ask for your documentation (blue registration book and license). You might be able to talk your way out of it depending on the circumstance but foreigners have gotten their bikes confiscates from them for driving without a license before so be careful with that.

I’d like more info on this too…

How much do these ‘plates’ cost?

Is there a set fine for infringement within the 2nd ring road?

Is a license required for all gas powered bikes, or is there a cc kick in? In the UK, it’s anything over 125cc.

What would the application process be for expats holding no current license from country of origin?

And lastly, is it possible to ride an electric bike without looking slightly whimsy!?

Chengdu not allow motorbike go inside the 3rd ring road. Unless you have a yellow license plate. It’s may cost more than 10,000 kuai and complicated procedures to get it.

This is just for Chinese people:(

You can obtain a Chinese motorbike license using a US license. You will have to take a health check, register at the local police station and take a multiple choice test. You can take a mock test in english at this website using internet explorer.

If you do not have a foreign license then the procedure is much more complicated. You will need to join a driving school and take 2 practical tests in addition to the multiple choice theory test.

Plates to ride within the 2nd ring road will cost ~15,000RMB. There will undoubtedly be lots of queuing and red tape involved. It doesn’t matter what cc the bike is, unless it’s under 50! It’s the same procedure for both license and plates.

Keymaster

In my experience of riding and fraternizing with expat motorcyclists in Chengdu, I don’t think I ever met one that was 100% legit. The vast majority are operating outside of the rules in some way or form. To give you an example, I’ve been pulled over twice inside 2nd ring road for riding on my bike. One time I explained that I didn’t know the rules and he let me go, the other time I pretended to not speak Chinese and he let me go. I had track plates and a US motorcycle license on a 200cc blacked out dirt bike (with lights, mirrors and turn signals).

@ben, has that foreign license for Chinese license always been around? They require a foreign motorcycle license right, not just an ordinary license? If so I should have done that years ago!

@Charlie, I’m not sure if you require a foreign motorbike license. I have heard rumours of people obtaining one with only a car license. Maybe it depends on how clear your license is on what vehicles you can drive, and how closely they study it. The foreign license for Chinese license has been around for years. When I first arrived here (2003) I knew a guy who did it. At that time they didn’t have the test in English so he was allowed a translator. The translator already had a Chinese motorbike license and knew the answer to all the questions!

@hzwerks, When you ride inside the 2nd ring road they are supposed to confiscate your bike and give you a receipt. You then use the receipt to pay a fine and get your bike back. In reality they either let you go with a warning, or take your bike and give no receipt leaving you with no way to claim your bike back.

I like the idea of just saying ‘fuck it’, getting a big ass gas guzzling machine, and bombing past any 12 year old police that happen in my path. Reminds me of riding a motorbike in Thailand, where police would attempt to stop anyone, for any reason, just so a fine can be issued. I eventually got bored having to do the police station payment runs, and just sped past any police who tried to caution me. Good times!

Participant

Thanx Ben! Wonder if we can still hire a translator who can ‘help us’ when taking the exam… Sux that its now in english!

So my next question.. What the heck are the 1st 2nd and 3rd rings?

Participant
    Quote:
    So my next question.. What the heck are the 1st 2nd and 3rd rings?

Check this map to see the “ring roads” around the city centre.

Keymaster

@Jerry, the test is in English now so a translator wouldn’t be necessary. You can check the PDF on Carl’s website (link above) to see what the test roughly looks like.

Participant

I had a little gas-powered scooter for a while and I loved it. Very very convenient (i lived outside the city) and because it wasn’t a big motor bike, i never got messed with ever. Rode it everywhere, downtown, third ring, wherever. I would recommend a scooter (Eli’s booty free one posted on the forum for example) and a motorbike for trips to Leshan, Emeishan, Dujiangyan or farther …

Participant

Thank you Sascha! Yea i might be jumping the situation with a motorcycle. A scooter was something i looked at as well. It seems very viable to get and snazzy to ride (never rode one before). Whats the price/range of scooters?

Keymaster

Prices range from anywhere from 500 (used beater) to 3000 (new vespa-like scooter). You could always go for this free scooter contest: https://www.chengduliving.com/forum/topic/free-electric-scootercontest-ends-aug-31

I wonder if any of you have seen a Honda ‘Ruckus’ inside Chengdu? They’re sturdy little 49cc scooters that look more militant than your average electric.

Keymaster

I hadn’t heard of a Ruckus so I Googled it… pretty sure I have never seen anything even like that in China before, ever. Here’s some images:

OJA5f.jpg

97hmh.jpg

That thing looks AWESOME.

Here’s what you will typically find in Chengdu though… either the standard gas-powered scooter or the mini dirtbikes which are hilariously small. The seat height is somewhere around my knee.

h2YZs.jpg

72Pdp.jpg

The Moto-X looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker!

Participant

Ben;

“Plates to ride within the 2nd ring road will cost ~15,000RMB. There will undoubtedly be lots of queuing and red tape involved. It doesn’t matter what cc the bike is, unless it’s under 50! It’s the same procedure for both license and plates.”

So it’s legal to ride a 48cc Scooter inside the 2nd ring road?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.