Rock Climbing Places in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduRock Climbing Places in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Can anyone recommending a rock climbing spot in Chengdu? I’m just looking for a rock climbing wall to practice on, nothing fancy, ideally 5+ meters in height. There used to be a rock climbing bar (..weird combination) near the Hemp House but I think it closed a while ago.

I’ve heard of a place near Carrefour in Tongzilin but don’t have any precise info really. Any info appreciated.

edit: I ended up going to the place suggested by Steven below (near Carrefour). The cost was 30 yuan for 2 hours, here are my photos:

rockclimbing-1.jpg

rockclimbing-2.jpg

rockclimbing-3.jpg

rockclimbing-4.jpg

rockclimbing-5.jpg

rockclimbing-6.jpg

rockclimbing-7.jpg

rockclimbing-8.jpg

rockclimbing-9.jpg

Participant

Charlie, that one near Carrefour is called 生存者攀岩馆.

武侯区紫竹北街85号大世界商业广场E座4-5楼 (contact:028-82955931, 82955932)

Keymaster

Thanks Steven, that is definitely the place that I heard about. I will pay them a visit tomorrow.

Participant

Hey, sorry if it’s bad form to advertise one forum on another, but there’s a really good post from a few years back about climbing in chengdu on gochengdoo.

Good luck! I’ll be in Chengdu in a few months, hopefully we can climb together.

Keymaster

No problem at all. Thanks Liam, it would be cool to climb together sometime. Tonight I’m going to check out the place that Steven suggested above.

Participant

I wanna join you guys to climb when I come back to chengdu (next year T_T)

Participant

on the other thread, the guy that seems to know says “The most active university climbing clubs and easily the three best climbing walls are at [universities] “

I know one he mentioned is now open to the public too:

Chengdu University of Technology (成都理工大学), it’s outside the Second Ring to the East. Close to the East Music Park. I’ve not tried it but I know there were groupons available a short time ago.

Participant

This is the groupon, it has some more information

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15314785604

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This is the groupon, it has some more information

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15314785604

Thanks for posting that – this place looks pretty legit! Gotta check it out. It’ll be interesting to see how five finger shoes work on a rock climbing wall.

vibram.jpg

Participant

Only 26 Yuan for 12 hours sounds fantastic

Keymaster

Last night I ended up going to the place near Carrefour that Steven suggested. It was fun and cheap – 30 yuan for 2 hours. I took photos there and posted 9 of them in the first post in this thread.

Next time I’ll check out the other one at Ligong University. The only downside of the Tongzilin place that I went to is that it’s not very high – about 4 meters.

Participant

4 meters is way too low, the one in Ligong is 13.5 meters, you will like it

Participant

@Charlie, I wanna join your guys to climb too. I’ve never did climb before, but really want to try.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Charlie, I wanna join your guys to climb too. I’ve never did climb before, but really want to try.

No problem, I’ll send you a PM. We’re going to go to the 理工大学 place next.

Participant

The survivor climbing wall (in Tongzilin) that Charlie went to has just recently changed hands. Still seems popular at the moment, but we’ll see if that changes if they don’t keep up with the maintenance anymore. Definitely the best public bouldering wall in Chengdu though.

The wall at Chengdu University of Technology I haven’t been to since it was taken over by a private company that now charges (but at least keeps it regularly open and accessible to the public). Given that I can see the thing from my office I really should head across and check it out. 180 RMB for 10 trips seems to be the best deal if you want to visit regularly. I wasn’t that impressed by the routes, but it was nice to have a high wall to climb rather than bouldering for a change.

Participant

If you can get to Long Quan which really is no problem from Xin Nan Men bust station…..you can get to the Sichuan Institute of Higher Cuisine. The college also has sports courses. It has an enormous ‘rock climbing’ wall which I think you would be able to use for a small fee. It really is huge and somebody said it was the biggest in China or it was used in the Asian games or something like that marking it out as being special. Once in Long quan, you take the 878 bus which runs every few minutes and goes right past the college. Total cost from central Chengdu…..7Rmb. Total time to get there….around 1 hr from Xin Nan Men.

Participant

This is what I found:

Sichuan Higher-Institution of Cuisine Climbing Centre

Honglin Road, Longquanyi District

Sichuan, 610000 China

0086-028-88471638

> The largest climbing center in Southeast China which is catering Bouldering wall and outdoor climbing wall. It include 4 speed climbing wall state in 21m height. All levels offered.

Participant

5 fingers for rock climbing? That is new… Rock climbing shoes suppose to be really tight. Not sure if i should expose my running vibrams to rock climbing.

Whens the next time you going Charlie? I want to tag along too, miss rock climbing.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    5 fingers for rock climbing? That is new… Rock climbing shoes suppose to be really tight. Not sure if i should expose my running vibrams to rock climbing.

Whens the next time you going Charlie? I want to tag along too, miss rock climbing.

I’m a rock climbing novice but the five fingers shoes seemed to work fine. I understand that they’re not optimal but in my opinion I think they work at least as well as the shoes they provided, which you can see in the photo above.

I’ll let you know when I go again. I got a lot of PM’s from people about rock climbing since creating this thread so maybe next time we can get a small group together.

Participant

The original management of the Survivor Wall have opened a new place in Suning Plaza (near Ikea and Galleria). I haven’t climbed there, although it looks like a better wall. Not much of an atmosphere when I was there, but then that whole shopping mall’s still pretty dead at the moment. The full address is 天府达到北段8号苏宁广场6楼604A号 成都生存者攀岩管 tel 85228220

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.