Wall Lords Graffiti Event in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduWall Lords Graffiti Event in Chengdu

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

There’s a big graffiti event today in the south of Chengdu, here’s the info:

Wall Lords 2011 China Stage

Location :LUXE TOWN, NO.18 ,Block 2, Renmin South Road South Lushan Avenue, Chengdu. You can take the subway to the southernmost station (Century City) and there’s a bus that’ll take you to the location each hour on the hour. If you have problems you can call me at 186-1577-7278.

Date : 1:00 – 7:00p.m. 10/09/2011

Some photos from Weibo:

Sw8TL.jpg

Vqqw5.jpg

xuZlu.jpg

I’m heading out there shortly and will take photos and be DJ’ing for a bit.

I was expecting some more comments on this unique event, held in a bitchin’ church/castle/super duper luxe location! Some great pieces unfolded into the evening, in front of a really appreciative crowd. Would be nice to see more events like this, as Chengdu continues to open up to new ideas. Creativity rules.

Participant

The murals were cool and I got to ride on the back of a farmer’s motorbike in the rain. I also took a lot of photos of the cranes and construction going around the sterile European villa as I’m writing a fiction piece about a migrant worker insurrection.

I bet more people would have came if it was actually held in Chengdu, also promoters should have said it was in Huayang then I would have allocated more time to get there.

Participant

Charlie,

Is there a post on the event in the works? I would love to see your pictures. I did see some pics of the events posted here: graffiti battle pics

Went to this event and took some pics. I’ll be uploading them when I (hopefully) get my laptop back from repair this week.

Didn’t know that Charlie was DJing the even and had a pleasant surprise when I went to check out who the dope ass DJ was. ha. Very cool event and was worth traveling the distance.

Chris

Keymaster

I had such a blast at this. Incredible event and a real pleasure to see such skilled artists in Chengdu, throwing down in a church no less.

@Eli I just got back to Chengdu from a gig out of town and am sorting through the photos now. They’ll be posted real soon along with an interview with Xeme.

@Chris thanks man! Sorry I didn’t catch up with you there but I’m glad you made it. It was a hike like you said but it was really worth it.

edit: here’s some previews of the photos

9OXol.jpg

sBzBS.jpg

goTI1.jpg

View post on imgur.com

quick panorama I took. wish I knew how to photoshop out the defects, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Keymaster

Super cool. Thanks for posting that.

I cropped it: http://i.imgur.com/g9vaX.jpg

Keymaster

The full post with photos is up: Chengdu Wall Lords Graffiti Event in Photos

Participant

http://www.theatlanticcities.com has a very cool story on chinese graffiti artists. The doco sounds good too…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com has a very cool story on chinese graffiti artists. The doco sounds good too…

To film a documentary on Chinese graffiti would be a dream project… I would love to do that. I hope someone does it!

Participant

30 artists in a city of 22 million? That can’t be right? You gotta be shitting me?

Is this event rolling back into Chengdu again this year? There appears to have been little fresh street art visible in Chengdu since this was held, even ‘Gas’ has gone quiet.

I did just see the panorama for the first time, great view of the main area. My vote still lies with the bird piece on the far right. Inspiring to know that there are such talents in Chengdu, that piece lies somewhere in the surreal.

Love the NYC shot on atlanticcities.com too. Reminds me of all the occasions I’ve spent ambling around Manhattan looking up at the architecture. Never gets old, day or night.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Is this event rolling back into Chengdu again this year? There appears to have been little fresh street art visible in Chengdu since this was held, even ‘Gas’ has gone quiet.

I think Wall Lords is happening again soon in a different city in China, I can’t remember where. It’s an annual event that’s in a different city each year.

I noticed the same thing about street art in Chengdu – Gas doesn’t get up quite as much as he used to, it seems. In his place is a bunch of ugly graffiti that just looks like vandalism. The overpass over Kehua Beilu by the ATT building is all ugly because of it. I saw Gas the other day and asked about it, he says that he’s still putting up art but it must be in regions of the city that I don’t frequent.

Quote:
    In his place is a bunch of ugly graffiti that just looks like vandalism.

Totally. There’s a couple of guys I’ve noticed tagging, though I forget their monikers immediately. In particular they’ve been hitting construction site facades with either single colour paint, or a marker. In either instance it just looks like lazy ass retarded scrawl.

I’d be up for travelling to the event this year if it wasn’t too far out, and was being held somewhere of interest/promise.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’d be up for travelling to the event this year if it wasn’t too far out, and was being held somewhere of interest/promise.

I just looked it up, it’s in Shenzhen June 9-10.

No way. I should have timed my trip to HK this weekend a little better!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.