Why Live in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhy Live in Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all!

It seems I will be working in Chengdu later this year. I would have preferred to land a job in Beijing or Shanghai, but things didn’t turn out that way. I’m not really sure of what to make of Chengdu. I know it’s big and is famous for its cuisine, pandas, and teahouses, but beyond that, I just feel it’s a nondescript Chinese megacity. To assuage my skepticism of coming to live there, would anyone like to share their thoughts on why Chengdu is the best place to live in China? I’m particularly interested in the opinions of those of you who have deliberately chosen Chengdu over such places as Beijing or Shanghai. I’m still feeling I lucked out by landing here rather than elsewhere…

Thanks!

Bob

Participant

Check out What makes you stay in Chengdu?

There’s more threads on differences between Chengdu/SH/BJ/HK but I can’t seem to find them cause they’re old and the search function is too limited.

Participant

Thanks for your reply! The link to the above thread was helpful just the same…

Keymaster

Chengdu has a laid back pace of life and big-city job opportunities. There are more relaxed places to live and better cities for finding jobs, but no place in mainland China offers the combination of the two like Chengdu does.

Quote:
    There’s more threads on differences between Chengdu/SH/BJ/HK but I can’t seem to find them cause they’re old and the search function is too limited.

If the search results don’t yield what you’re looking for, click the link at the end of the search results that says perform this search on Google. The results are much more accurate.

Participant

If you like the outdoors, being at the edge of the Tibetan plateau has its advantages. Beautiful hiking, serious mountaineering, maybe some rock climbing and rafting too.

Participant

I’m curious though Brian, is that what brought you to Chengdu, or is that just how you’ve reconciled yourself with having to live there? I know I’ll find a way to enjoy it when I get there, but for the moment I’m still thinking it’s down the list of places people would rather live in China…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m still thinking it’s down the list of places people would rather live in China…

Where else is on your list? I’ve traveled to 80+ cities in China and lived in Guangzhou, Chongqing, and Shanghai before Chengdu. For living, I like Chengdu best. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Participant

Different people like different things. Let’s just say I’m not a city person, and I knew that when moving to China.

I mentioned the mountains because many westerners seem to forget they are there. Except for Charlie of course, and a few others.

Participant

Chengdu is laid back, but to be honest its losing it. It’s defiantly less laid back than it was three years ago when I arrived, but I still love the city even though I hate all the changes that are currently happening in Chengdu.

I have some friends who have been here for nearly ten years and back then it was like a small town.

Progress

Participant

Fast money makes everyone loco. I guess i love my area outside 3rd ring road, still has it’s ‘relaxed’ feeling.

I’ve lived in a number of cities around the world, and can say there aren’t many that had as much impact on me first time visiting as Chengdu did. It’s a beautiful place that feels very connected to it’s past, at the same time as being one of the most progressive cities in China. I understand people’s hesitation in coming here, it’s not as far along as Beijing or Shanghai in the way most developed cities are, but that’s it’s charm. This is rapidly changing though, I’ve seen a crazy difference to the landscape and populous in just 2 years. If you accept that being here is an adventure, not to mention an awesome jump off point to travel anywhere in Asia, you shouldn’t have too much struggle with the idea of living here.

Hope it works out!

Participant

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’m feeling more positive about Chengdu by the day, especially after a news report on tv tonight about Beijing’s toxic chemical smog. The climate in Chengdu seems quite good too; not too hot in summer and not to cold in winter. Perhaps I’ll take up hiking…

Anyway, nice friendly forum. I might have a few more questions to ask of you in the coming months. No doubt I’ll also cross paths with a few of you when I get there too.

Cheers!

Bob

Participant

We have a few posts here in CL that might help you figure out what we like about the city and what exists here for people to check out.

Chengdu vs. Shanghai

Chengdu vs Chongqing

Chengdu Travel Videos

Top Ten Free Spots in Chengdu

Also ChengduPlaces.com is a good place to see what the city has.

It is a Chinese mega-city. China is not Spain or the Caribbean. It’s a country industrializing NOW, and doing it in a very big way. So if you are looking for a beautiful, convenient, environmentally stellar city, you’re in the wrong part of the globe.

Having said that, what everyone who lives here loves about the place is the vibe of the city and the people. And unless you actually get out and get to know them in some way or fashion, that will be lost on you. The food here is excellent. I miss it when I am gone. The city isn’t as polluted as others, but it still is polluted, check out Chengdu Air for some depressing details. But by and large the weather here is pretty good. The girls are cute. /shrug.

I stay here mostly because I know it well and when you get to know any city, it grows on you. Like this weird mold I have on my butt.

Participant

Awesome post Sascha, thanks!

Chengdu is home to the Giant Pandas, plenty of natural resources and cultural relics.What’s more, it is enjoyable to watch the time-honored local operas, taste the authentic flavors or experience Chinese Tea Culture in this laid-back city.

Participant

Only these days, Air in Chengdu scares me. After a brief walk on the street, I already felt like I have carried a tons of dust with me back to the apartment!

Participant

Chengdu’s a great city to live in. It’s small enough and lacks a huge ongoing outsider influence. You’ll notice more intermingling here. Unlike cities like Beijing and Shanghai where you can live your days out without having do anything remotely Chinese (food, language, entertainment, social interaction).

Also, for it’s size and lesser exposure Chengdu really pushes things. From hip-hop to design, cycling to art people here know how to have fun and get the most out of their interests and move things forward. Go to a bigger city and it’s a copycat culture that leans heavily and what’s hip and happening worldwide.

I’ve lived in Beijing and visited Shanghai on a few occasions and they’re just too immense. Living in a city that’s inescapable without making a big deal of it sucks. Chengdu albeit dense is easy to get outside of. The countryside around here is beautiful and mountains to boot.

If you want to live in China and Chengdu’s where you’re ending up, you’ll be happy with it. If you were keen on Shanghai or Beijing and drew a short straw, maybe you might not be keen on it. Simply, it’s the kind of city where you can get a realistic impression of China while still offering just enough of a variety of Western amenities to take the cultural edge off.

Participant

There are 3 reasons:

1. Delicious food.

2. Beautiful girls and friendly people

3. Beautiful view

Enjoy ur stay here!

You guys agree?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    There are 3 reasons:

1. Delicious food.

2. Beautiful girls and friendly people

3. Beautiful view

Enjoy ur stay here!

You guys agree?

I agree with the first two points, definitely. The third, not so sure! Can’t see much of anything outside beyond 30 meters or so recently.

Participant

Haha, Thanks Charlie.

Ur talking about ur work environment?

My meaning: the Dead sea, xiling mountain, Jiu zhai gou, Leshan Giant Buddha, Mount Qingcheng etc.

By the way, i wanna say thanks to the one who helps me correct my English. Thanks so much!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.