Reply To: Anyone for a Game of Go/Weiqi (围棋)?

HomeForumsIn ChengduAnyone for a Game of Go/Weiqi (围棋)?Reply To: Anyone for a Game of Go/Weiqi (围棋)?

Participant

Liam, I am new to this forum. As I don’t seem to figure out how to send you a private message – I will just do it here…

“It’s a really fascinating game but I’m sure there are 10 year old Chinese kids that could beat me.”

Maybe even 5 year olds… I didn’t really have classes at the Sichuan Weiqi Association – but they helped me find a school, gave me some contacts, introduced me to a private teacher… I ended up having most of my classes at the “Children’s Palace”. Most students were between 5 – 12 years old. I guess by age 13/14 you are either a professional Weiqi player – and if not – you probably focus on the “gaokao” (<span class=”st”>college entrance exam)… When I started my classes I was already playing at a 2-3 Dan level – but nevertheless the first 3 months were kinda tough. People were wondering aloud why a foreigner would learn Weiqi (it being a Chinese game – and therefore I could never really be good at it). Whenever I lost – it proved their reasoning true – and when I won I was just lucky… After 3 months this stopped. Maybe I was commited enough, the ”laowai” novelty wore off – and for the rest of the year I was just another student, studying in class with the other kids, joking with them, taking part in some tournaments in Chengdu – and I definitely improved a bit…
</span>

Drop me a PM – and we could meet at my place, a tea house or at the Machu Pichu (I think they have a board and stones there) for a little game some time…

Cheers…