Reply To: British Citizen Getting Married in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduBritish Citizen Getting Married in ChengduReply To: British Citizen Getting Married in Chengdu

Avatar photoMerior

You will apparently need (but these things are not cast in stone as they can vary from city to city and at short notice):

  • a current passport
  • a valid Chinese Visa
  • a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) (try the British Embassy in Beijing)
  • three photos of the marrying couple, taken together
  • a registration fee

<b>The Chinese partner to the marriage will be asked to submit the following:</b>

  • a certificate of marriageability (obtainable from the office which has the physical control of his or her file)
  • a certificate of birth
  • household registration book
  • health certificate(obtainable from a regional level local hospital)
  • a letter from the parents of the local partner giving permission for their child to marry a foreigner (this letter should include the index fingerprint of both parents below their signature and date).  (probably if your bride is young – I’d never heard of it and it doesn’t always get mentioned.

<h3>Translation of documents:</h3>
ALL English-language documents must be translated into Chinese. Translations should be obtained from and certified by one of the Municipal Public Notary offices.

This is worth a look for comparison bearing in mind that official requirements quickly change here as does the interpretation of them.

Don’t forget that your bride will want wedding photographs taken in a studio. A reception/wedding breakfast is traditional. Gifts of sweets presented at the reception in small cheapo boxes is also traditional as is handing out (single) cigarettes to the male guests.

Personally I chose to marry in the UK where I was on familiar territory.

Congratulations and good luck!