Reply To: Tax Info for Americans Living Abroad

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTax Info for Americans Living AbroadReply To: Tax Info for Americans Living Abroad

Avatar photobaoluo

About 2 days left to file or get your extension in!

Actually all American citizens or green card holders living abroad can get an automatic 2 month extension applied retroactively when you file. A lot of tax software (TurboTax/etc) will be smart and take care of this for you if you file after the due date, which was about 8 minutes ago as of this post.

Info here:—Automatic-2-Month-Extension-of-Time-to-File

One thing to note is if you do owe taxes, while you won’t be hit with a straight penalty during this 2 month period, interest will accrue on what you do owe. This is a lot less than the normal penalty, but it’s still something.

If you owe nothing/get a refund, there’s no real penalty at all for taking the extra time.