2014 World Cup Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2014 World Cup Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

WORLD CUP FULL SCHEDULE

I was up until 5am last night watching World Cup, and I suspect this will be the first of many nights. I’m sure many people are in the same situation so I figured I’d make a thread for information and discussion.

Streaming World Cup:

I went through hell last night figuring out how to stream this on a Mac. I ended up being able to watch it on this site cbox.cntv.cn but had to boot into Windows and download their software and play the video through there. The stream wasn’t particularly high quality, but it works pretty reliably. If anyone knows of a high quality solution, post here, I would love to upgrade. I’ve seen that there are some paid options in China and I wouldn’t mind paying for a higher quality stream.

I tried many other solutions, including connecting to a VPN in London and streaming through BBC and iTV and the quality was great, but the connection wasn’t fast enough and kept buffering. Unwatchable.

Games Commentary

The Spain-Netherlands game was beautiful last night. Total surprise. That header was spellbinding. Glad to see Mexico win as well, hopefully they make it back to the semi-finals. I’m rooting for Germany, USA, and Netherlands. I would like whomever is playing Spain, Italy, or Portugal to win.

The officiating has been really poor so far. I didn’t see the first Brazil-Croatia game but just in Mexico-Cameroon and Spain-Netherlands it has been abysmally bad. Hopefully that improves.

Youtube clip of the header last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHpOEIBgS44

Participant

I used http://www.sbs.com.au but you’re gonna need an Aussie server on your vpn. It worked ok for a while (and has some great features on the player) but became a bit choppy and stuttering later. Good no-nonsense commentary too.

You can try BBC if you got a UK server and someone just now pulled my coat to ITV which is another UK broadcaster…CCTV or PPTV is a last resort too…also had some VPN gremlins the last few days….

edit: didn’t see that you already mentioned bbc and itv. gotta read things more fully 🙂

Keymaster

I used http://www.sbs.com.au but you’re gonna need an Aussie server on your vpn. It worked ok for a while (and has some great features on the player) but became a bit choppy and stuttering later. Good no-nonsense commentary too.

Connecting via VPN shouldn’t be a problem, but I suspect that Chinese internet is just too slow to maintain a reliable connection. As Ben said in another thread, as they increase the domestic internet speed, the speed connecting to foreign websites (or, what we outside China would call, the internet) isn’t getting better.

Participant

I don’t own a mac so not sure this will help but I’ve been using thefirstrow.eu I’ve been using this for all 4 games and have got perfect English TV streams without a VPN.

If this doesn’t work then the website for the CCTV 5 stream is here you have to download an add on but its very quick and doesn’t come with any shit.

PPTV is not an option as they are not showing the games. They are showing people watching the TV and talking. It’s hilarious, check it out just for 5 minutes.

Only 2 days in and the it’s already better than the awful shit of 2010. Cracking games last night, hopefully officiating improves, the spain and Chile games weren’t badly reffed though. At least it gives us something to talk about.

The Leg and Whistle (an English bar) is the place to be for the 6am game tomorrow morning, England V Italy.

Keymaster

PPTV is not an option as they are not showing the games. They are showing people watching the TV and talking. It’s hilarious, check it out just for 5 minutes.

I saw this last night while frantically searching for streams. It is truly hilarious. Those three guys are the biggest knobs of all time. Apparently there are thousands of comments from Chinese netizens slamming those guys and PPTV.

Participant

England v Italy is 6am not 9am as advertised on the Beer Nests Schedule.

Participant

nice, which team you hope win?

Participant

Germany v Portugal tonight should be class…then 4 hours of sleep before Ghana v USA.

Keymaster

nice, which team you hope win?

Germany

Germany v Portugal tonight should be class…then 4 hours of sleep before Ghana v USA.

Yeah, tonight should be a good one. I’m thankful that the Germany-Portugal game starts at midnight.

Participant

Yeah, tonight should be a good one. I’m thankful that the Germany-Portugal game starts at midnight.

2AM is actually a reasonable time to go to bed. I’ve not been convinced to watch a match live yet, but this is two pretty strong teams.

Keymaster

I’ve not been convinced to watch a match live yet, but this is two pretty strong teams.

All of the games I’ve seen have been pretty good so far: lots of goals, no draws, and some really impressive play. The Netherlands-Spain game in particular was jaw dropping. I didn’t expect to have that much fun watching football until very late into the tournament, if not the final itself.

Participant

Only 2 days in and the it’s already better than the awful shit of 2010.

Agreed although I’ve been watching a few games with one eye open.

All of the games I’ve seen have been pretty good so far: lots of goals, no draws, and some really impressive play. The Netherlands-Spain game in particular was jaw dropping. I didn’t expect to have that much fun watching football until very late into the tournament, if not the final itself.

Netherlands v Spain is a game you’d really expect to see in the knockout stages. When they played each other in the 2010 world cup final it was 0-0 after 90 minutes. The later the competition goes the more defensive teams become, maybe its nerves, they are scared to lose rather than playing to win.

It’s good to see the big stars turning up. Messi has taken a fair bit of stick for not finding his best form for Argentina but he scored a really nice goal last night. Neymar had a difficult season but looks up for it too. The same could be said about Van Persie, he had a terrible season but he’s still one of the world’s best strikers and he showed that against Spain. Robben also getting 2 goals after his howler in the last world cup final. Let’s see what Ronaldo can come up with tonight.

Germany v Portugal is another game you’d expect to see in the knockout stages. I think Germany is the best team in the world right now and they’re playing against a team with the best player in the world. Should make for an excellent game.

Participant

I’ve watched 9 out of 11 games so far and there hasn’t been a bad game yet. Even Argentina this morning which was shaping up to be dreadful was an excellent second half and an amazing goal from Messi. If you have even a passing interest in football and are not watching your a fool, this is shaping up to be one of the best world cups ever.

We all knew that this was going to be a tournament with lots of goals, it is rare that you get to the world cup and so many strikers are in excellent form. If you think about the attacking players in Europe, they have almost all had great seasons. There has been a shift in playing styles too, teams starting to attack more in Europe, the premier league was all about attack this season.

I hope it continues and I’m pretty confident it will.

Participant

Internet down in my building all day (just returned now). Asked wu guan why. Response: football.

Participant

Still hope Germany win

But i am worry about Portugal, when the Latin in the samba Kingdom, even like back home court

from first match to today I all guessed who wins, hope to the German team good luck.

why I didn’t buy a lottery ticket……

Participant
    Participant

CCTV 5  Show Live All Game’s , on a Cable TV also Cctv 5 re-show the next day the game’s during the day Time , for those can’t  watch live in a night .  ^^

Keymaster

Last night was beautiful… another high scoring blowout and beautiful display of incredible skill. And the US won, too. Honestly something like this had to happen to even give USA a chance to advance past the first stage.

Participant
    Participant

Germany sent a very strong message just like the Netherlands and it was an incredible win for the US. The Americans are now playing a German-style attacking football with a never die attitude, which is not surprising considering Klinsmann is their chief. That style suits the US so I hope it inspires them to continue using it. Will be interesting to see the two teams go at it when their match versus each other comes. Nigeria and Iran played a very disappointing cautious match.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.