2014 World Cup Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2014 World Cup Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Participant

The Belgium game last night was not so good except the end . but i was fun with many Belgium guys :

Keymaster

The Belgium game last night was not so good except the end.

Agree… boring game until the last 20 minutes. At least those were very exciting, though. I heard that Brazil-Mexico game was exciting despite no goals. I saw the highlights – the Mexican goalkeeper is incredible. Russia-Korea looked as boring as Nigeria-Iran.

Participant

The Belgium game last night was not so good except the end . but i was fun with many Belgium guys :

To the contrary Charlie, Korea played brilliant football and deserved a win! And yes, the Mexican goal keeper pulled out miracles last night to keep Mexico in the game.

Participant

Some results last night. A lot of my Chinese friends and family reckon Spain have been bribed. That’s code for I lost shit loads of money.

Keymaster

Some results last night. A lot of my Chinese friends and family reckon Spain have been bribed. That’s code for I lost shit loads of money.

I can imagine… the Australia-Netherlands game got really good toward the end. It looked like Australia was going to win for about 30 seconds before Netherlands scored that equalizing goal.

What’s happening to Spain is definitely weird. Beaten by Netherlands I can understand but Chile? I must admit I am enjoying it though, as someone who doesn’t want to see Spain, Portugal, or Italy in the finals.

Participant

happening to Spain is definitely weird. Beaten by Netherlands I can understand but Chile? I must admit I am enjoying it though, as someone who doesn’t want to see Spain, Portugal, or Italy in the finals.

Chile have a great team. They won 2-0 in England and were narrowly defeated 1-0 in Germany just before the world cup.

Keymaster

happening to Spain is definitely weird. Beaten by Netherlands I can understand but Chile? I must admit I am enjoying it though, as someone who doesn’t want to see Spain, Portugal, or Italy in the finals.

Chile have a great team. They won 2-0 in England and were narrowly defeated 1-0 in Germany just before the world cup.

Wish I could have seen the game last night, they must be good to beat Spain 2-0 even though Spain looked abysmal in the first game against Netherlands. Hopefully this is the World Cup marked by a lot of incumbent football superpowers getting upset.

Participant

My crazy prediction and hope before the World Cup started that a team like Bosnia will win it may just now come true 😀

Participant

if you wanna get a more South American World Cup experience try some Spanish language sites. Been using Univision last few days. To say that their commentators are enthusiastic is an understatement; these guys (they usually have 3 commentators for each match) are nuts. Of course you get the now requsisite GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! whenever one is scored, but you also get arguments and appeals to the Big Man (heard a few “dios mios”). Even if your Spanish is poor (me) it’s still worth watching to absorb some of the atmosphere. Oh yeah, these guys are LOUD. Even with low volume they still boom…..
    Here’s a taste. Goal at 1:30
    http://deportesenvivo.univision.com/game/c-de-marfil-at-colombia-on-20140619

Keymaster

if you wanna get a more South American World Cup experience try some Spanish language sites. Been using Univision last few days. To say that their commentators are enthusiastic is an understatement; these guys (they usually have 3 commentators for each match) are nuts. Of course you get the now requsisite GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! whenever one is scored, but you also get arguments and appeals to the Big Man (heard a few “dios mios”). Even if your Spanish is poor (me) it’s still worth watching to absorb some of the atmosphere. Oh yeah, these guys are LOUD. Even with low volume they still boom….. Here’s a taste. Goal at 1:30 http://deportesenvivo.univision.com/game/c-de-marfil-at-colombia-on-20140619

Hahaha! I tried watching on Univision at the beginning of the cup, I heard that was one of the few places that you can stream games from anywhere. Spanish language commentary sounds hilarious.

Great games last night, although Iran was almost perpetually defending their goal, it looked like they had a real chance before Messi scored in the 90th minute. The Germany-Ghana game was one of the best games I’ve seen this cup, along with Netherlands-Australia and Mexico-Brazil. Really close game the entire time.

I want to watch USA-Portugal tonight but the game starts at 6am and I have to work tomorrow…

Participant

So disappointed with Portugal… For being a football powerhouse they definitely lacked creative play.

I never realized the US potential until this World Cup though. They did very well so far.

Keymaster

So disappointed with Portugal… For being a football powerhouse they definitely lacked creative play. I never realized the US potential until this World Cup though. They did very well so far.

This is the world cup of the underdogs. Iran and USA were both robbed of near-victories in final moments against Argentina and Portugal. Ghana nearly beat Germany, Costa Rica beat Italy, Spain got knocked out first. This has been really exciting.

Participant

True that. Actually it also seems France has come back from the dead and with yesterdays victory Belgium has advanced to the semi finals, which is their biggest achievement since 1986 (and before that 1920’s).

I bet a lot of gamblers are pulling out their hair though 🙂

Participant

True that. Actually it also seems France has come back from the dead and with yesterdays victory Belgium has advanced to the semi finals, which is their biggest achievement since 1986 (and before that 1920?s).

I bet a lot of gamblers are pulling out their hair though :)

Belgium semi-finals?? If they win the group which it looks like they will, then they need to play probably Germany and then Argentina to reach the semis, oh yeah job done!

Keymaster

Belgium semi-finals?? If they win the group which it looks like they will, then they need to play probably Germany and then Argentina to reach the semis, oh yeah job done!

It looks like he was talking about Belgium exiting the group stage, not actually making the semi-finals.

Participant

Sorry to pounce on you Lino, use the edit function and make me look a fool (:

It has been exciting with so many shock results, having said that though it looks like all the big teams are going to creep over the line. With the exception of Spain, I don’t think there will be too many surprises in the final four of the tournament. I could be wrong though.

Belgium’s results haven’t been a shock, they have one of, if not the best team in the tournament man for man. What is surprising is the gutless, spiritless performance last night.

Participant

Apologies, wrong terminology lol

No worries Bohs, I’m usually not big into football unless if its World Cup or Euopean Cup 🙂

Participant

So, what are everyone’s top 3 possible teams to win this year’s football world cup?

Here are mine:

1. Germany
    2. Netherlands
    3. France

May the best or luckiest team win!

Keymaster

So, what are everyone’s top 3 possible teams to win this year’s football world cup? Here are mine: 1. Germany 2. Netherlands 3. France May the best or luckiest team win!

Those are definitely reasonable guesses. I would add Brazil and Argentina even though their performance hasn’t been outstanding so far. No one is looking unbeatable.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.