2014 World Cup Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2014 World Cup Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anywhere have an suggestions on where to watch the US vs Germany game tonight??

Keymaster

Anywhere have an suggestions on where to watch the US vs Germany game tonight??

The Beer Nest should be a good place with a lot of people. Another good place would be The Leg and Whistle.

Participant

Nope, I disagree Charlie.

If I were to add 2 more teams to make it the top 5, they would have to be Colombia and Ecuador 😀 Colombia just scored a MAGNIFICIENT goal against Uruguay!

I have a history of supporting Colombia since the days of Valderama, the legend with the yellow afro!!! Ecuador were solid against France in the final group stage match.

Participant

O-okay, I actually didn’t know Ecuador didn’t make it to the knock-out stage! Wow, in that case I would put the USA in 5th place ^_^

Argentina and Brazil are vulnerable and could be subject to an upset at any match.

Participant

I feel for Mey-hi-co. Unlucky. That diving shit is a blight on the game, truly. Someone online compared that to MMA: imagine if guys deliberately and routinely faked low blows or eye-pokes, as a way to get an advantage. Doesn’t happen cos the fighters (generally) have the integrity not to pull that shit. Anyway, hoping the US can continue their run, and Colombia have been sensational so far….

Keymaster

I feel for Mey-hi-co. Unlucky. That diving shit is a blight on the game, truly. Someone online compared that to MMA: imagine if guys deliberately and routinely faked low blows or eye-pokes, as a way to get an advantage. Doesn’t happen cos the fighters (generally) have the integrity not to pull that shit. Anyway, hoping the US can continue their run, and Colombia have been sensational so far….

That loss that Mexico suffered last night was brutal. Very similar to Chile losing two nights ago to Brazil. Both are heart breaking losses where the underdog outperformed the powerhouse team and ended up losing due to poor luck in the final moments.

As far as diving goes, that’s just a deplorable feature of the sport of football. It is the worst part of the sport in my opinion as someone who only watches the World Cup. This established practice of faking injury reminds me of the cartoonish exaggeration of WWF professional wrestling.

Still, great game last night up until the final moments. Mexico was completely in control in the first half.

Nope, I disagree Charlie.

You disagree about what?

Participant

I disagree that Brazil and Argentina have a chance to win the cup this year 🙂

Keymaster

I disagree that Brazil and Argentina have a chance to win the cup this year :)

Costa Rica has a chance to win. I wouldn’t count anyone out at this point with all the upsets we’ve seen so far.

Participant

Guys regularly fail drug tests in MMA. Same thing, no? Cheating to gain an advantage.

As far as diving goes, that’s just a deplorable feature of the sport of football. It is the worst part of the sport in my opinion as someone who only watches the World Cup. This established practice of faking injury reminds me of the cartoonish exaggeration of WWF professional wrestling.

Yeah, I think every fan agrees with you. But it’s so widespread it’ll be impossible to stamp out. Here is Garry Neville (ex-England & Man U) talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNx5ok60U6A

Participant

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Suarez in this thread…

Participant

Goals of the tournament so far??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYcoiy14TQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=540JZ7HsKaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePM4D3INmDI

A couple of Messi’s goals have been really nice, also loved the injury time goal in the Switzerland v Ecuador game.

Keymaster

Goals of the tournament so far??

The Van Persie header and the Cahill goal against Netherlands are both ridiculous. Those are the best goals that I’ve seen, hard to say which is better but I’d say the Van Persie header because that was the beginning of the end for Spain, which has been the biggest surprise I’ve seen so far. The Messi goal against Iran in the final moments was incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO-rpUFw6L8

Guys regularly fail drug tests in MMA. Same thing, no? Cheating to gain an advantage.

I feel like these are very different because drugs enhance fighting performance while diving just tarnishes the game with fakery.

Participant

@AM :Guys who get busted for using PED’s are punished (at least recently in the more legit promotions) and can (and have) had prizemoney taken. Robben admitted diving in another incident and said “it was stupid and embarrassing”. No retroactive punishment. Huge difference…..
    But agreed, drugs (especially TRT) have damaged the sport to some extent. It’s funny, cos football often showcases outstanding sportsmanship (like helping a guy up, or kicking the ball out deliberately if someone is down) but somewhere along the way, diving just became entrenched in the game (used to be just the Italians! ha ha)

Keymaster

@AM :Guys who get busted for using PED’s are punished (at least recently in the more legit promotions) and can (and have) had prizemoney taken. Robben admitted diving in another incident and said “it was stupid and embarrassing”. No retroactive punishment. Huge difference…..

Sure. Not only is it not against the rules, it’s practically a part of the rules if you want to win. Had Robben not sensationalized that foul in the final moments of the Mexico game last night, there’s a chance that it wouldn’t have been a penalty kick, in which case Mexico may have won the game. Even teams that are well known for not diving (US and Germany, for example) do it.

Participant

Anyway, my point about MMA fighters and faking low blows is that at this stage in the sport’s evolution, it’s an unwritten rule that you dont do it, so it’s easier for the refs. It’s almost a code of conduct thing.I guess in the past football had the unwritten rule about diving, but somewhere that changed, and as Gary Neville mentioned in that video, it’s an enormously difficult problem to solve. And yeah, a lot of MMA guys have no qualms about using PEDs, as this video shows….

Anyway, its a football thread, so I’ll shut up now 🙂

Participant

It’s funny, cos football often showcases outstanding sportsmanship (like helping a guy up, or kicking the ball out deliberately if someone is down) but somewhere along the way, diving just became entrenched in the game (used to be just the Italians! ha ha)

Sure. Not only is it not against the rules, it’s practically a part of the rules if you want to win. Had Robben not sensationalized that foul in the final moments of the Mexico game last night, there’s a chance that it wouldn’t have been a penalty kick, in which case Mexico may have won the game. Even teams that are well known for not diving (US and Germany, for example) do it.

Robben was fouled, I think everybody agrees that. What people don’t like is the way he threw his arms in the air and screamed. He has tons of previous for this. Unfortunately it’s part of the game now and most players will go down if they feel they can use the situation to their advantage.

Take a look at Argentina’s goal last night, the defender slides in and tries to take Messi out but he jumps over the tackle and sets up a goal. If that defender had made the same tackle on Messi inside the penalty box he would’ve went down, no doubt about it. All he would have to do is trail his leg a little to get the contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fvb3O4UDxw

Anyway, my point about MMA fighters and faking low blows is that at this stage in the sport’s evolution, it’s an unwritten rule that you dont do it, so it’s easier for the refs. It’s almost a code of conduct thing.I guess in the past football had the unwritten rule about diving, but somewhere that changed, and as Gary Neville mentioned in that video, it’s an enormously difficult problem to solve.

It has changed a lot in Britain. When I first started playing football it would’ve been unthinkable to dive but now most kids playing the game will be watching their heroes doing it and try to imitate them. It is almost impossible to solve because it’s such a complex issue, I mean there are different levels of dive. If it is a blatant dive (no contact) then I believe retrospective punishment should be used however in most cases there is some kind of contact. The player may have moved his body into a position where he knows he’ll collide with his opponent, other players may feel contact then chose to fall over when they could stay on their feet, other times players are just trying to protect themselves by riding the tackle. Anyway….

All the group winners have advanced to the 1/4 final. First time in the history of the world cup that has happened.

Fifa removed that James Rodriguez goal I posted, here it is again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foy61srUo9A

Keymaster

All the group winners have advanced to the 1/4 final. First time in the history of the world cup that has happened.

With the exception of the final moments in each game, this knockout round has been really boring to watch. It’s like a corny action movie: the main characters endure drama and hardship to always emerge over challengers in the final moments. Heartbreak city.

The last 6 games have had 0 goals at halftime, and now all the usual suspects are through and all the scrappy, exciting underdogs are out: Mexico, Chile, Switzerland, USA, the African teams. What made the group stage so exciting was all the goals and the upsets. Not a lot of chance for that now with the remaining teams. I’m really hoping that Belgium, Costa Rica, and Colombia have good fortune in the coming games.

None of the remaining superpowers appear to be in top form. They are all vulnerable and have been advancing by the skin of their teeth lately.

Keymaster

Great video I saw today of the beautiful and sad moments of the cup so far:

Where is everyone watching the semi-finals and/or finals, if not at home? I’ve been watching most of the games at home until now but I’m considering the Here We Go rooftop or Beer Nest to see the last few games.

edit: all 100-something group stage goals in one Youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItyFez3dRo

Participant

Welcome to watch the final @ The Beer Nest tonight. All Craft Beers (IPA, Wheat & Dark Wheat) RMB 30 a pint and a Brazilian Xingu black beer same price.

Keymaster

That was an amazing World Cup. Looking forward to the next one already.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.