3D Flicks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Saw Alice in Wonderland last night…. pretty sweet graphics/effects/color/makeup/(insert technical word here). Overall I thought the 3D aspects weren’t as great as Avatar though.

To sum things up, I thought Avatar’s 3D effects were superior, but Alice in Wonderland’s story was better, any thoughts?

Keymaster

I was super close to seeing Alice in Wonderland a few weeks ago when I was in Hong Kong but it ended up working out that a group of friends went and me and one other guy didn’t go. Afterwards, they told me that it was good but I didn’t miss anything too special. I saw Avatar in 3D (twice, actually) and absolutely loved it. I was close to seeing it a third time, to be honest, because I felt that the movie theater experience for that particular film adds so much to its impact.

Avatar is coming out on DVD very soon, but I can’t imagine that it’ll be anything like it was in the theater. I had high expectations and it still blew me away.

How much longer do you think Alice is playing in 3D? I’m seriously considering checking it out.

Quote:
    Saw Alice in Wonderland last night….

Where did you see this and how much was the ticket?

Zijing Theatre, just west of old Babi/Mix club area on south 2nd ring road. My friend managed to buy some group ticket discount so the tix were only 60 RMB each for 7-8 people, but i think normally tickets are 100-120 RMB or so. That 3D tag lets them tack on an extra fee.

Keymaster

How big was the screen – was it really cool?

I saw Avatar at 白联天府 on 2nd Ring Road & 科华北路 – the “DMAX” screen there is outstanding. The second time I saw it I arrived a few minutes late and ending up sitting in the front row. It was a blast.

I think the DMAX is awful, darkness and bad color balance. The cinema in 万达广场 is better than it. 万达广场 is near 白联天府, about 2km. If you are interested in IMAX, you can wait for some month mayby. I heard the IMAX will coming soon

Participant
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I think the DMAX is awful, darkness and bad color balance. The cinema in 万达广场 is better than it.

I really must check out the theater at 万达广场, then! I’m surprised you say that though, I’ve been to IMAX theaters in DC and NYC and thought that DMAX was pretty impressive for a daoban-Chinese IMAX. I saw Kung Fu Panda, Terminator 3, and Avatar on that screen.

I saw Alice in 3D at Wanda Guang Chang recently – it wasn’t bad, but overall not as impressive as Avatar. I think that’s the general consensus. I expect a lot of movies this year to really milk the 3D format in an effort to jump on the bandwagon.

I was surprised to read this recently about the Clash of the Titans remake which is 3D: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100405/film_nm/us_titans

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.