A Few Questions About Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionA Few Questions About Chengdu

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a few more questions regarding moving to/living in Chengdu. Feel free to offer any information you think helpful!

First, I want fast internet, and I’m surprised to see that speeds still seem quite slow in China. Has fiber optic not yet arrived? I would have thought that with all the new apartment buildings going up around China fiber optic would be standard now. What are my options for getting fast home internet and do internet plans allow for unlimited usage? Also relative to this is the use of VPNs. It seems par for the course that everyone uses them in China but I have no experience with setting one up. Is it easy to do, should I wait until I get to Chengdu to organize one, and how certain is it the Chinese government isn’t going to prevent their use in future?

Regarding housing, what’s the deal with paying rent quarterly that I keep seeing? Is this standard, and how fair are apartment leases and landlords in Chengdu? By that I mean have any of you been ripped off or burnt because of some mysterious fine print you weren’t aware of? Also how open to negotiation are the real estate people and what should I be keeping in mind when I start looking for a place to live?

Banks and credit cards! Is it easy transferring money from a Chinese bank account to my bank account in my home country? I’m also curious how easy it is to use a credit card for cash advances in the event I need to, or for accessing foreign bank accounts through Chinese ATMs. Also how do you normally pay utility bills in China?

Transport! I may be able to get by with public transport but another option may be a small motor cycle or the like. Actually this could be a great option for me but I’m concerned about several things, namely how safe is it really riding a scooter through Chengdu during peak hour and what sort of license do I need? Will an international driving license be enough? Also how cheap to buy are motorcycles/scooters in Chengdu and insurance and all the other stuff that has to be included?

Tailoring. Can I get suits tailored cheaply in Chengdu? I’m wondering whether I should be buying more now or waiting until I get there. Also cheap laundering. I cannot and do not want to wash and iron business shirts! So are laundries prevalent, cheap and satisfactory in Chengdu?

Contact lenses…can I buy them in Chengdu with a prescription from overseas? And are dentists cheap and reliable in Chengdu?

Too many questions, and I still have more! Well if anyone wants to share their knowledge on any of the above, it would be greatly appreciated! You’ll probably get a beer out of it when I get around to meeting some of you.

Bob

Participant

There are various ways to transfer money, see other threads here.

One option that is not mentioned very often is to use a check – it’s slow, but it’s a flat fee, so might be better depending on the amounts.

For small amounts, Bank of America and China Construction Bank work together so I can get withdrawals at decent rate through an ATM, although I don’t seem to be able to make deposits at an ATM.

Foreign credit cards are hard to use here, but not impossible. As far as I know, you can use them to buy airline tickets, and to shop at Ikea if you ask nicely.

Internet. The standard internet speed is still 4Mb down 1.5up ADSL in most places. The rumor is that the newer, more upscale apartments have fiber and can reach speeds of 20Mb/s, as reported by some members on this forum.

VPN. Setting it up is easy. Your provider will give you step by step instructions and it should be done in 5 minutes or less. The Chinese gov’t has recently taken some measures against VPNs, but the providers will usually find another way around them. Rumor has it that the crackdown was just because of the political happenings in Beijing.

Rent. It’s paid quarterly. I’ve only lived in 2 apartments here and my landlords have both been pretty accommodating. I even broke my first lease early with no penalty.

Banks. Check out the banks thread and transferring money threads. I’m able to withdraw cash from my BOA account from CCB banks here and incur no fees. Most places don’t take foreign credit cards here. Utility bills are paid at the local Hongqi convenience store via a utilities card.

Transportation. Public transit is ok, but getting a scooter or a bike is much more convenient, albeit a little dangerous. Be careful at first and you’ll get use to the eccentricities (OMG WTF ARE YOU DOING!) Chinese pedestrians, scooters, drivers, bikers.

Chengdu isn’t a big suit city. There aren’t any good/cheap suit tailors in this area that I know of. We’ve been getting visits from a good tailor from Beijing though. Dry cleaners are easy enough to find. Fairly priced.

Contact lenses can be bought online for unbelievably cheap prices without needing a prescription. Or you can get them at an eyeglass shop. They won’t take your prescription, but they’ll examine your eyes for free.

Participant

Hello Bob,

welcome!

– about internet line depend in which area you want live and how much money you want use. Don’t worry!

– about VPN depend from the speed line and available server. We can help you don’t worry!

– about house you have many choose, depend from how much big place you want, area and if building is old or new.

– i have an account with Bank of China with debit card and online banking linked with Asia PayPal account. I haven’t problem when I transfer money Italy to China.

– transport are ok, now we have two lines of subway, bus station, and taxi… sure you can take driving license but i think isn’t your necessary in the begin… and if you want buy a bicycle it’s a good exercise!

– I don’t know too much about tailoring but you can buy many different type of clothies everywhere! and sure, have chep laundry, depend which level of service do you want…

– contact lens, dentist, doctors… are not cheap service but you pay quality of service

Finished!

see you 😉

Participant

Thanks all for your input!

I’ve read a lot of different opinions about which banks are best, but as long as I can transfer money somehow, I guess I can work something out. China sounds like Japan somewhat regarding credit cards; for all its modernity, most Japanese merchants will not handle credit cards that are not issued by Japanese banks. My chief concern is merely that I don’t know what my my financial situation will be in my first month or two after arrival. My company will cover the cost of a lot, but I will have to front up with the cash first before being reimbursed.

Stellar post Chris, you covered a lot there, thanks! You too Federico. Regarding VPNs, does that mean I can organise one in Chengdu? And if anyone can recommend any apartments offering fiber optic that would be awesome. I’m thinking of living south somewhere around the 3rd-2nd ring road for around 5,000 rmb a month if that’s possible. I don’t need big and fancy accommodation, just fast internet and a place that’s close to a laundry and some restaurants!

As for a small scooter/motorcycle, this sounds like the way to go. Can anyone suggest what sort of cost this is likely to entail? I’ll probably get a bicycle too, but for commuting, I think I’ll need something powered.

Thanks again!

Bob

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Regarding VPNs, does that mean I can organise one in Chengdu?

You’ll probably just be paying for an online service via Paypal or credit card, as far as I know there isn’t any place in Chengdu where you can exchange cash for a VPN service.

Quote:
    As for a small scooter/motorcycle, this sounds like the way to go. Can anyone suggest what sort of cost this is likely to entail? I’ll probably get a bicycle too, but for commuting, I think I’ll need something powered.

I would expect to pay around 2,000 yuan for a scooter. Motorcycle is also an option but because they’re technically illegal (and require a license and tags, etc) electric scooters are a lot less hassle. You very rarely see motorcycles within the 2nd ring road in Chengdu, as a matter of fact.

Participant

Hi there!

internet: we were told the presence of fibre is depending on the housing estate; ours doesn’t have. VPN: I have arranged that over the internet, it is not connected to your internet account. Just google VPN and read some feedback from users to make your choice, or see some of the threads on this forum. there’s a lot to choose from. Banks: I can withdraw from my foreign account with creditcard at almost all ICBC ATM’s. I have a local bank account and a debit card, which is accepted almost anywhere.

Utility bills: that also depends on your housing situation. we pay the gas bill in a shop behind the flat, and the water and electricity bill to the estate management. But others have to buy prepaid cards and upload their meter. It is easy once you know the system.

Cycling: doable but dangerous, I cycle but I can’t say it’s very pleasant. Quicker than the traffic or public transport. Metro is wonderful. For driving a car you need to sit an exam and get a Chinese driving license.

Welcome!

Quote:
    Cycling: doable but dangerous, I cycle but I can’t say it’s very pleasant.

Oh you’re so missing the point! Defying death is absolutely the fun of it!! 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Oh you’re so missing the point! Defying death is absolutely the fun of it!! 😀

This is really true for me… I enjoy cycling between tons of obstacles instead of just going in a straight line. I love flying through the alleys in Yulin, and in between gridlocked cars. Pollution aside, Chengdu is a fun place to be on a bicycle, in my opinion.

Participant

Hahaha, ok guys, I admit, there is a fun aspect to it. But not with two toddlers loaded on your bike… Have fun and stay in one piece!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.