Advice on Excursions Outside Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAdvice on Excursions Outside Chengdu

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

We’ll be in Chengdu this summer. I’m wondering how much time you would recommend for these outings:

Leshan Buddha

Emeishan

Jiuzhaigou

Any advice you have for these trips or other must-see Sichuan sites would be most appreciated!

Keymaster

Leshan Buddha – one full day

Emeishan – 2 days

Jiuzhaigou – 3 days

Those are all good places to check out. I would also suggest:

1. Qingcheng Mountain (the back mountain, houshan, is my favorite)

2. Dujiangyan (famous natural dam)

3. Sanshengxiang (aka Flower Town)

Western Sichuan is beautiful, too. Maybe Seabass will come in here and offer some more specific suggestions for that region, he knows it well.

Keymaster

Leshan Buddha – one full day

Emeishan – 2 days

Jiuzhaigou – 3 days

Those are all good places to check out. I would also suggest:

1. Qingcheng Mountain (the back mountain, houshan, is my favorite)

2. Dujiangyan (famous natural dam)

3. Sanshengxiang (aka Flower Town)

Western Sichuan is beautiful, too. Maybe Seabass will come in here and offer some more specific suggestions for that region, he knows it well.

Participant

I think Emeishan depends on a personal choice. Some ride almost to the top – visit the top then ride back down in a day. Some climb from the bottom and take 3 or more.

It’s popular to stay overnight near the summit to get up and see sunrise, but it’s often cloudy.

As Emeishan and Leshan Buddha are somewhat far from Chengdu but close together its common to combine them into one trip.

Jiuzhai can be varied too, you could use the hop on hop off bus to visit the main points in the park in a day. or you can take your time, avoid some crowds, and walk between some points.

Jiuzhai is such a travel effort you might want to stay longer/visit some other sights in the area. Even with road improvements it the best part of a day (8-10 hours maybe) to drive one way, flying is still half a day because the airport is still at least a couple of hours drive from Jiuzhai itself I think.

in the area you might try:

Huanglong, if you’ve not seen those type of calcium deposit pools before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huanglong,_Sichuan

or the area around Songpan is also scenic and common for horse trekking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songpan_County

Participant

I think Emeishan depends on a personal choice. Some ride almost to the top – visit the top then ride back down in a day. Some climb from the bottom and take 3 or more.

It’s popular to stay overnight near the summit to get up and see sunrise, but it’s often cloudy.

As Emeishan and Leshan Buddha are somewhat far from Chengdu but close together its common to combine them into one trip.

Jiuzhai can be varied too, you could use the hop on hop off bus to visit the main points in the park in a day. or you can take your time, avoid some crowds, and walk between some points.

Jiuzhai is such a travel effort you might want to stay longer/visit some other sights in the area. Even with road improvements it the best part of a day (8-10 hours maybe) to drive one way, flying is still half a day because the airport is still at least a couple of hours drive from Jiuzhai itself I think.

in the area you might try:

Huanglong, if you’ve not seen those type of calcium deposit pools before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huanglong,_Sichuan

or the area around Songpan is also scenic and common for horse trekking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songpan_County

Participant

Day 1: Chengdu Arrival

If you arrive in Chengdu earlier, you can visit the Renmin Park and enjoy the local tea drinking there (Heming Tea House is most famous in the park).

Visit the Jinli Old Street in the evening, and have the dinner there.

Day 2: Leshan Buddha

Take the bus getting to Leshan from the Shiyangcheng Bus Station, and visit the Leshan Buddha, and have lunch there.

Then take the bus to Emei Mountain, and stay at the foot of the Emei Mountain.

Day 3: Emeishan Tour

Hike around Emei Mountain or take the cable to travel around.

Get back to Chengdu city.

Day 4 – Day 6: Jiuzhaigou

Take the bust to Jiuzhaigou Valley, which takes about 7 hours.

Day 5: have a day tour in Jiuzhaigou;

Day 6: Get back to Jiuzhaigou.

P.S. if you are rush in time, you can take the flight to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu, and usually, the cost is very high.

Day 7 Chengdu Departure

P.S. If you have more time in Chengdu, Qingchengshan and Dujiangyan are highly recommended, and you can visit both of them in one day if you hire a car.

I find a detailed itinerary here: http://www.chinadiscovery.com/chengdu-tours/8-days-sichuan-discovery-tour.html

Participant

Day 1: Chengdu Arrival

If you arrive in Chengdu earlier, you can visit the Renmin Park and enjoy the local tea drinking there (Heming Tea House is most famous in the park).

Visit the Jinli Old Street in the evening, and have the dinner there.

Day 2: Leshan Buddha

Take the bus getting to Leshan from the Shiyangcheng Bus Station, and visit the Leshan Buddha, and have lunch there.

Then take the bus to Emei Mountain, and stay at the foot of the Emei Mountain.

Day 3: Emeishan Tour

Hike around Emei Mountain or take the cable to travel around.

Get back to Chengdu city.

Day 4 – Day 6: Jiuzhaigou

Take the bust to Jiuzhaigou Valley, which takes about 7 hours.

Day 5: have a day tour in Jiuzhaigou;

Day 6: Get back to Jiuzhaigou.

P.S. if you are rush in time, you can take the flight to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu, and usually, the cost is very high.

Day 7 Chengdu Departure

P.S. If you have more time in Chengdu, Qingchengshan and Dujiangyan are highly recommended, and you can visit both of them in one day if you hire a car.

I find a detailed itinerary here: http://www.chinadiscovery.com/chengdu-tours/8-days-sichuan-discovery-tour.html

Huanglong looks incredibly beautiful. Another reminder that I’ve spent far too long this winter surrounded by concrete!!

Huanglong looks incredibly beautiful. Another reminder that I’ve spent far too long this winter surrounded by concrete!!

Participant

jianchuan museum complex, for those interested in history and culture.

one full day

Participant

I highly suggest you do not go with a local tour for Jiuzhaigou and Huang Long.

The hotels and food they set you up with is horrible. The hot water only lasts for 2 hrs a day and even then its kinda yellow and smells funny. The toilets are so bad they don’t even flush. On the flip side you will have to pay for Holiday Inn prices if you go with other tours. If you’re looking to do that you can look into an option some companies have called “Free and Easy” where you go as a group to the plane and hotel, but everything is set by yourself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.