Air Filter Advice? Air Pollution at 299 Today!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAir Filter Advice? Air Pollution at 299 Today!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just got my mask, kinda funky smell when I put it on. Hopefully that will go away soon.

Participant

@trudat

Quote:
    With a new baby on the way, I’m seriously considering buying a ¥3000+ air filter (空气净化器)for our home. A friend today cautioned me to buy an air filter machine with replaceable filters that don’t cost just as much as the machine. Anyone out there who can recommend one a machine to me with affordable filters that can be found on Taobao or other site inside China?

I bought some months ago a couple 空气净化器, I bought a chinese brand, 亚都, and so far so good. I bought one KJF2202T and one KJF2901, and I will probably buy a second KJF2901 soon (the KJF2202T is too noisy even with the lowest speed). The filters are about 200RMB, I’ll be changing them soon, after more or less half year of moderated use.

I have 2 kids (2+ years and 2 months), and I have asthma, so in my case I believe it is a good investment.

Participant

@Charlie

Quote:
    I noticed this today also, this is the worst I’ve seen since I posted this. Anyone have any idea what the cause of this is? Car traffic or something else?

I thought I was the only one wondering this … I’m hoping it is something temporally, like related with the construction of the BRT above the 2nd ring or something like that.

Participant

Just got my mask today and boy do I look like a dork wearing it! haha. I’m sure to get a ton of stares running around in it.

Participant

I have to say, there is a difference. I only inhaled pollution when there is a cluster f*ck in traffic, otherwise this apparatus is quite good. Minus the smell and all, I kinda like it.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Just got my mask, kinda funky smell when I put it on. Hopefully that will go away soon.

It’ll go away, I noticed that at first also. It took a while for me to get used to wearing it, also. It sits kind of weirdly on your face if you don’t adjust it properly (which you can do by angling the velcro pads behind your neck).

Quote:
    Just got my mask today and boy do I look like a dork wearing it! haha. I’m sure to get a ton of stares running around in it.

That feeling goes away. Some people will stare but I think after a while you won’t really notice it that much.

Quote:
    I only inhaled pollution when there is a cluster f*ck in traffic, otherwise this apparatus is quite good

Now I notice when I’m walking to the subway on Renmin Nan Lu without it, I wish I had it. It seems to be usually on major streets at rush hour that the pollution really bothers me.

Participant

@trudat

Quote:
    With a new baby on the way, I’m seriously considering buying a ¥3000+ air filter (空气净化器)for our home. A friend today cautioned me to buy an air filter machine with replaceable filters that don’t cost just as much as the machine. Anyone out there who can recommend one a machine to me with affordable filters that can be found on Taobao or other site inside China?

I bought some months ago a couple 空气净化器, I bought a chinese brand, 亚都, and so far so good. I bought one KJF2202T and one KJF2901, and I will probably buy a second KJF2901 soon (the KJF2202T is too noisy even with the lowest speed). The filters are about 200RMB, I’ll be changing them soon, after more or less half year of moderated use.

I have 2 kids (2+ years and 2 months), and I have asthma, so in my case I believe it is a good investment.

Participant

Despite Chengdu being only slightly polluted this morning at 141, I still decided don my brand new Totobobo mask for a run. It was mildly disappointed to not get many stares … must be that mask wearing is “old hat” since the SARS scare when people even used to wear bra cups with extra straps when N95 masks were scarce. Or maybe I didn’t get stares because a Totobobo is nothing weird compared to face kinis which some Chinese women wear on beaches! 😀

Totobobo has no smell but its gonna take some getting used to the air-flow resistance of the filters. After only running for 45 minutes, my pristine white filter already turned a shade of grey.

SANY0009-S.jpg

Unused filter on the left and just-used mask on the right.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Unused filter on the left and just-used mask on the right.

Wow, only one day. That is incredible. I haven’t taken the filters out of my Respro yet.

Participant

295 highest this morning so far, 288 right now (10:45am)

Is it me the only one who thinks Chengdu has become the most polluted city in all China?

Participant

295 highest this morning so far, 288 right now (10:45am)

Is it me the only one who thinks Chengdu has become the most polluted city in all China?

Participant

Sorry to dig this up, but as I just got an alert on my phone for the pollution level I figured I’d give an update.

b127aa3ajw1dygnkfpd7hj.jpg

The full line of Respro masks (City, Techno and Sportsa) have hit the shelves. Colors, sizes, you name it.

Did a big day on the bike yesterday (out to Longquan, climbed the pass and back), and rocked mine the whole way. I’ve got to admit, even in Beijing I never wore my mask all too often, but the difference is palpable. Normal feeling lungs vs. the usual feeling of congestion most closely akin to a lingering pneumonia.

Even today just sitting around I feel worse than I did after a days worth of heavy breathing through the thing.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I got the notification on my phone today also, of it being over 300 today.

It certainly does seem that Chengdu is ranking up there along with the most polluted cities in China recently. I would love to figure out why this is, because it never seemed to be this much of a problem before.

Participant

@Jake, Do you have filters too? And cost?

Pollution in CD is getting worse.. I guess i might stick to another year out where i am, the air does not seem too bad.

Also update on my mask. After 4 days of usage and throughout Saturday night at the Halloween party, there were very noticeable accumulation of smog degree and other pollutants. I washed it to see if it will do anything (mask and filter), it did, but i will need another filter. Hopefully not every 4 days or so…

Participant
    Quote:
    It certainly does seem that Chengdu is ranking up there along with the most polluted cities in China recently. I would love to figure out why this is, because it never seemed to be this much of a problem before.

I want to believe that it’s related with the old construction machinery used in the construction of the BRT over the 2nd ring, and once they finish it the levels will get back to “normal”. The problem is that I read that once they finish the BRT over the 2nd ring they will just start one over the 1st ring …

Participant
    Quote:

I want to believe that it’s related with the old construction machinery used in the construction of the BRT over the 2nd ring, and once they finish it the levels will get back to “normal”. The problem is that I read that once they finish the BRT over the 2nd ring they will just start one over the 1st ring …

Keymaster
    Quote:

That sounds like a solid theory. I can’t think of what else it could be aside from more cars on the road.

Participant

Its really bad, everywhere is dust, especially 3rd ring road. Time to prepare mask.

Participant

Currently no extra filters. We can get them in next week, however.

The mask is rated for a month’s use if used quite regularly. If pollution levels remain high and you’re using it several hours daily, you may need to change it more often.

If you have a mask, gauging it’s particle saturation by looking at the inside of the mask is often tough as dirt and contaminants rub off your face. You should remove the filter and check to see the general coloration. If you need to wash it, wash the mask only. Do not wash the filter as it affects its efficacy.

All the masks we sell come with a more comprehensive filter with charcoal activation to filter not only particulates as small as 2.5, but also harmful chemicals and molecules (CO, CO2, SO2, Methane, etc.)

Construction is a huge contributor to pollution levels, as the energy required for building far exceeds normal usage. China is by a large margin the largest consumer of coal and that’s a large reason why we deal with pollution on this scale. Add to it Chengdu’s location (in a giant bowl) and it’s density and you have a perfect concoction for awful air quality.

I hear tomorrow a front might come through which usually cleans things up!

Participant

Well yea, dont wash the filter i know that, that goes without saying. After 4 days, the collected debris is of different coloration than the mask, i think getting a new one is viable. Yet every ‘few days’ of filter replacement can add up in RMB.

My filter DID NOT look like it was going to last another 26 days, let alone the end of the week. So i just washed it. Sure it effected the efficiency of the filter, but regardless it does still block off the nasty gunk.

Example like yesterday, i came into the city from teh 3rd ring road with my mask on. After i arrived at my destination, my lungs felt great! No coughing what so ever. Then after a 30 minutes within the city limits (1st ring road), i was coughing every few seconds. Its only when i was on my ebike again venturing home withe the mask on that my condition got better. Not bad after a ‘wash’ :P. Note i am not advocating washing, i am just a retarded person who doesnt want to dish out 300 rmb for a pair of filters within 4 days of usage.

I will buy a new filter, once you get it and list the price (i have sportsa mask), then ill buy the filter (does it come in two pack?).

The Techno mask seems to be the best yet most expensive. How would one upgrade the sportsa to techno. Do you have the replacement nozzle and filter?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.