Air Filter Advice? Air Pollution at 299 Today!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAir Filter Advice? Air Pollution at 299 Today!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Quote:
    How would one upgrade the sportsa to techno. Do you have the replacement nozzle and filter?

To upgrade any Respro you just need to get the filter of the model you want since they are all interchangeable. Because we are in China and have direct contact with the manufacturer, all the mask models we carry have the highest level filter in them (Techno) right in the package. Next week we’ll have replacement filters (2 pack) and replacement valves.

To reply to some previous posts about mask fit, no matter what brand you have the edge of the filter needs to sit securely on your face such that when you take a deep, quick inspiration you feel the mask pucker in a bit. At least for Respro, the filters come in just one size and should just cup around the mouth/nose and force polluted air to travel through the filter. The mask comes in med and lg and the lg size mask should be adequate for even those of us with huge heads.

Another point that is worth mentioning briefly since nearly all posts are from guys is about facial hair. More than modest stubble prevents the filter from sealing where it needs to and allows polluted air to pass around the filter. This obviously defeats the purpose and was one of the reasons I held out from getting/using one before. Now I just want to be able to breathe better and still ride as hard as I want.

Participant

This is totally intense. Though ya, I do feel really guilty about the air im breathing.

Participant
    Quote:
    he filters come in just one size and should just cup around the mouth/nose and force polluted air to travel through the filter.

mis-spoke yesterday, the filters come in large and medium to fit their corresponding masks.

Respro filters are also good for 70 hours of cycling, according to their website. I don’t think their research/tests were done in China but at least it is a gauge for when they should be changed.

Participant

Even though I ride a motorbike I still use the respro filter. How do you get the daily air quality report for Chengdu?

Keymaster

I bet sales of Respro masks in Chengdu have skyrocketed this year. It seems I’m running into people who have them all over the place and a lot of people ask about mine. I predict that Natooke is going to sell a lot of these.

Quote:
    Even though I ride a motorbike I still use the respro filter. How do you get the daily air quality report for Chengdu?

I use an iPhone app called China Air Quality. There’s anther thread about the air pollution with links and photos. The cool thing about this app in particular (aside from it being well designed) is that it sends push notifications automatically when the pollution is high in Chengdu.

Keymaster

Here’s a link to the thread with more info: This is the Worst I’ve Seen…

Participant

Just downloaded China air quality app for ipad. Loads of stats, very shocking Chengdu ranked 3rd worst for this year.

Participant

The China Air Quality app has been a huge motivator for me recently in deciding whether or not to wear the mask. Depending on humidity, cloud cover, wind, and any number of factors the pollution here sometimes appears less severe than in reality.

Cycling for me is a primary form of exercise and I got tired of feeling like hell (short of breath, coughing, general malaise) after spinning around for a few hours. Most often I’d convince myself it looked fairly clear out and just scoff at donning the mask but with the app and the simple label “Unhealthy” I need to take precautions.

Chengdu’s pollution is also unusual. Unlike a lot of other infamous places (the whole NE of China, in particular Beijing), the pollution here just seems to stick around. It’s occasionally awful and rarely perfectly clear, but it’s there. Beijing you could hold out for the times you knew would clear up and be perfectly clean, but here you can’t time it like that.

My advice is if you do any marginally strenuous exercise outside for any period of time greater than a half hour regularly, use form of sanctioned protection. Sure you breath this stuff in most of the time anyway (unless you happen to work in a pressurized filtrated laboratory), but the time its really detrimental is when you’re exerting your lungs. Be safe!

Participant

277 today

Participant

277 today

Keymaster
    Quote:
    277 today

I just got a push notification about this an hour ago… wear your Respro’s.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    277 today

I just got a push notification about this an hour ago… wear your Respro’s.

Participant

Just hit 309. China air pollution index: Chengdu 309 (Hazardous)

Participant

Wore Respros on the ride this morning. It seemed worse, or at least looked worse, on the way out to 青城山 than in the city center.

Participant

Eh. Out toward 青城山 it was hazy and grey and drizzly. On the train back the haze went beige in color the further into the city we got.

In other news it also feels warmer in the city even though the temperature reads the same!

Keymaster

Check out this Chengdu Beijing comparison from last night:

chengdu-beijing.jpg

Participant

I guess that the pollution is caused by ridiculously messy constructions in CD. When the dust mixes with fog(CD is quite humid), it will be like that.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    When the dust mixes with fog(CD is quite humid), it will be like that.

That’s a good explanation. Have you seen any Chinese articles talking about the pollution in Chengdu? I’m interested in learning more, but I haven’t heard many Chinese people talking about the reasons why the pollution has been so high recently. Is there any public or official inquiry into this?

Participant

aliens.jpg

@Jake, Did you have the filters in stock? I dread coming into the city during the week.. Today particularly, riding right through the congested portion of the downtown area. Also, what are the prices? I need Sportsa filters.

Participant

We bought four new house plants this past weekend; air feels a bit fresher at home. I did a little research about the health benefits of house plants. Did you know that plants are natural air purifiers? It’s really interesting.

here are some articles:

http://delicious.com/ascribe/house-plants

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.