Alleycat on Saturday (Street Bicycle Race)

HomeForumsIn ChengduAlleycat on Saturday (Street Bicycle Race)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Honored to announce our first (of many) alleycats to be hosted here in Chengdu. What’s an alleycat?

An alleycat traces its origins to cycle messenger communities in large bustling metropolises. In a test of ability, both on the bike and knowledge of how to get around the city, this style of race was made to emulate the everyday duties of messengers. The race starts at a single location at which point its your duty to go to all checkpoints. You choose the order. There’s no set route.

If you’re not a messenger it’s of no importance. Not a racer either? So what. If you know the city, have a bicycle and want to spend a few hours tearing around the streets for fun, exercise or both, then this ought to do it.

Since Halloween is nigh, its got a matching theme. Costumes are encouraged. There’s also a special surprise in how the race is run that we’ll reveal just before the start.

There are prizes for top 3 women and men, DFL (dead fucking last) and best costume.

If you’re interested in being a part of it but don’t want to race we’re also looking for volunteers to man the checkpoints we’ve selected and sign off on racers manifests.

Here’s the flyer!

alleycat.jpg

(If you read Chinese you’ll notice a funny little typo at the end of the information.)

Looking forward to seeing you there.

i will be close to dead fucking last. stoked for this!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    stoked for this!

Me too. I hear a lot of people are going to participate!

Just ordered my helmet so I don’t crack my head open again.

Participant
    Quote:
    Just ordered my helmet so I don’t crack my head open again.

Smart idea! Super excited about this. Should be a kickoff for the whole evening of madness.

Also, forgot to mention, any style of bike is welcome. This isn’t just some cool fixie meetup.

I’ve heard people saying we might break the 100 person mark. That many people on bikes is bound to be a hoot.

Participant

Defiantly going to be a hoot! Looking forward to the festivities on Saturday!

Participant

Few things to mention:

Must be above 18 years of age.

Must obey traffic laws.

Safety first. We hope you wear a helmet and see to it your equipment is functioning properly. This is not a requirement however.

Have fun.

Each checkpoint should be manned by two people. Anything goes, but please be courteous to our volunteers.

All other race information including the map, checkpoints and how the race will be run will remain secret until after registration.

Participant

Hi, I hope you have a new alleycat in december because I will live in Chengdu from December 12.

And I love to participate in alleycats in France, principally in Lille/Roubaix with the north cobbles.

Participant

How long do you plan to live in Chengdu?

We plan to be here a long time and have many an alleycat!

Also, do you play bicycle polo?

Participant

I plan on living in Chengdu for at least 6 months and more if I find a job. I don’t really play bicycle polo but I love it.

At the moment I’m riding my new bike: http://oracycles.com.

Participant

Still looking for volunteers? I want to do the race but I think my bike will be too slow for such a long ride. Plus my costume isn’t bike-ride appropriate.

Participant

Man, I would love to be on this.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Man, I would love to be on this.

I can get you a loaner bike. Join us.

Participant
    Quote:
    Must obey traffic laws.

I thought this race was in Chengdu?

fuckthat.jpg

Traffic Laws in China

Participant

Dafuq, that meme looks an awful lot like your avatar dude

So gutted to miss this – once again work is EATING MY LIFE, haven’t been able to polo for the same reason. BOO. Have fun guys!

Participant

Lucy, no sweat. We’ll be doing plenty of activities like this. You’re bound to catch one sooner or later.

Volunteers all taken care of. Again, if anyone wants something to do they can always hang out at the start and follow us on to the finish. You never know, extra numbers always helps!

Super excited about this. See you in just a few hours!

b127aa3agw1dy9kkhugrbj.jpg

Participant

natooke crew, thank you… really enjoyd this no traffic rules madness 🙂

Participant

Yes! Thanks for organizing this! Saturday was a good time all around. Looking forward to a massage today after all that riding around.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.