Alternative Canon Lenses

HomeForumsClassifiedsPersonalsAlternative Canon Lenses

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking forward to hear some opinion of Canon users. Recently I have found out that there is the whole range of Leica and Carl Ziess lenses for Canon bodies. Is there anyone who has got one?

Apart from that, some time ago Zenith lenses of USSR production were quite demanded as well. Though such lenses could be used only with manual focus.

Last, but not least, what’s your opinion for Tamron and Sigma lenses? I have got both 17-50 and 70-200 for Tamron. The second one significantly prevails in quality.

Participant

I have never used third party lens, but im thinking about tokina wide angle lens. I read good reviews about that. I have tried tamron telephoto as well as canon, and ended up with canon as i felt the quality of canon is better. Also for the lens with the image stabilization, the price variation between canon and tamron isnt much!

Participant

@ Slavsky – this link will give you a professional and objective assessment of most of Canon EF and EF-S lenses categorised and graded within price range. Click on an individual lens and it will take you to a page with technical information and comments. While Pardhu is generally correct in that Canon lenses can be expected to outclass third party lenses, there are a number of Sigma, Tameron, Vivitar and Tokina lenses that could be considered depending on your budget.

That said, I just use Canon lenses.

Keymaster

Although I don’t have a Canon camera anymore (still can’t believe it!) I think I can provide some helpful info here.

My general advice is to stick to Canon L-glass. It’s more expensive, but it’s better to have a small number of very high quality lenses than a big collection of mediocrity. Lenses are heavy and it takes a lot of time to master each one. I had the 17-40L which I sold to Jacob and Larry at Natooke, that is a fantastic wide angle lens. Basically all of the L lenses that I have used are tremendous, and they will remain good for a long time. Camera bodies last for years but quality lenses last for decades – invest accordingly.

One must have lens in my opinion is the 50mm 1.8. It’s cheap, great quality, and a lot of fun to use. It’s better (wider) if you have a full frame camera, but it’s still worth it with an APS-C body. I used to have a collection of other Canon lenses, like the 28-135IS, which is good, but if I could go back and do it all over again, I would probably just buy a pair of L-lenses and be done with it.

Quote:
    Last, but not least, what’s your opinion for Tamron and Sigma lenses? I have got both 17-50 and 70-200 for Tamron. The second one significantly prevails in quality.

I am personally not a huge fan, I would pay more for a Canon lens, although there are some exceptions to this. One of those…

Quote:
    I have never used third party lens, but im thinking about tokina wide angle lens.

Is this lens! I had the 12-24 Tokina wide angle and it was fantastic. I tested it against a similar Canon which cost twice as much and the Tokina looked and worked fantastically. Although it is stupendously wide, I eventually swapped it for the 17-40L mentioned above, which is optically superior and is a little more practical because it zooms in to 40mm.

Quote:
    @ Slavsky – this link will give you a professional and objective assessment of most of Canon EF and EF-S lenses categorised and graded within price range.

I think you forgot to post that link , Merior.

Participant

Thank’s for the nudge Charlie, I must be getting old. I did remember to ‘copy’ the link, just forgot to ‘paste’ it so maybe there is still hope for me.

Here is the review link:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/best_canon_eos_lenses.html

Participant

Hm, seems like on the link you have provided, mine Tamron 17-50 lens is estimated as 8.9, which is quite impressive. Meanwhile user rating is 9.1. At the same time it costs a way chepaer than alternative Canon lenses.

Forgot to mention that also I have Samyang 8mm fisheye, which I ahve bought for 300 euro. I believe that it`s performance is quite good.

The only issue I have experienced till now with 70-200 on 500D camera is that it takes at some points quite a lot time to focus and sharpness may suffer a lot. However with upgrade to 7D camera, 70-200 Tamron performs 3 times better. WOndering what would be the result with L-series of Canon 70-200. Anyway, Photoshop helps a lot 🙂

Quote:
    Although I don’t have a Canon camera anymore (still can’t believe it!)

Where is your Canon, Charlie?

Participant

@ Slavsky – I use the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM with my 7D and it’s razor sharp in comparison with other Canon lenses that I’ve owned – rated at 9.4. The L series lenses are seriously heavy especially if you fly (7D + one L series lens about 2 KG) but do perform well if you have a specific job in mind for them. I did a fair bit of research recently and came up with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM as being a good compromise in terms of weight, price and quality in comparison with the L series zoom lenses – rated at 8.8. I also have the Canon EF 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (no IS) which has very small amounts of optical distortion for a wide angled lens – rated 9.2 (compared with the Tokina 12-24 rated at 8.8)… yes, I know – the price difference.

Participant

@ Merior, you seem to be quite well equipped. What`s your major for photos? Do you publish your works? Looking forward to see some

Participant

@ Slavsky – I just point and shoot subjects that take my interest. I prefer landscape photography but living in Chengdu now doesn’t encourage that. Having spent days of my life waiting for people wearing day glow orange anoraks to get out of the picture, now I find Chinese people make better subjects than the scenery round here. I am just an amateur but here’s the website (a work in progress):

http://www.loose-canon.net/Portfolio – (Fat Dragon)

and the Chengdu Photography Club site:

http://www.loose-canon.net/Client

Keymaster
    Quote:
    The L series lenses are seriously heavy especially if you fly (7D + one L series lens about 2 KG) but do perform well if you have a specific job in mind for them.

That reminds me of something – if you can manage, prime lenses are cheaper, lighter, and have better optical quality. Takes some time to get used to, but a lot of the “pros” I know prefer or only use prime lenses.

Quote:
    Where is your Canon, Charlie?

I sold it and moved away from DSLRs to smaller cameras.

Participant
    Quote:
    I sold it and moved away from DSLRs to smaller cameras.

Sony? Leica? What’s the reason? I don’t really get the point of doing so.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Sony? Leica? What’s the reason? I don’t really get the point of doing so.

Fuji. The point is to have something that fits in a jacket pocket but still takes DSLR quality photos. I was basically just sick of carrying around a camera bag filled with heavy and cumbersome equipment.

Participant
    Quote:
    I was basically just sick of carrying around a camera bag filled with heavy and cumbersome equipment.

Im trying hard to not get there. How is the Fuji Charlie? Is the quality and flexibility better or equal compared to the big dslr? And most importantly what do you think about using different lens with a small Fuji (choices and compatibility)?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Im trying hard to not get there. How is the Fuji Charlie? Is the quality and flexibility better or equal compared to the big dslr? And most importantly what do you think about using different lens with a small Fuji (choices and compatibility)?

I love it, I don’t really miss an SLR. It’s just surprising to not have one after using Canon SLRs for 10+ years. It is less flexible though, but that’s fine with me, my camera is a fixed 35mm.

Here’s a recent photo taken with it: Man in the BART

Participant

Nice pic charlie. Great lighting you got there. Ill get one of these small cameras soon. Very often I go out without my big dslr and i feel disappointed that i missed a good photograph.

Participant

@Charlie, what’s the exact model of your camera, which lenses have you got and what’s the overall financial value?

Keymaster

X100, 35mm, the current model X100S is $1,299 US.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Personals’ is closed to new topics and replies.