Another Chengdu gym goes broke?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAnother Chengdu gym goes broke?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, if any of you guys were members of the KG/Miracle gym on Yihuan Lu, above the Trustmart, you’ll know that the gym has closed for two months, allegedly for “renovations” (takes 2 months for this?). Sounded fishy to me: there was no notification or signs posted. i only heard about it from a friend who tried to join. Anyway, i’ve heard rumours on Chinese forums that the owner has done a runner, and the place will not reopen. Apparently members have formed a group to try to get their $ back. Firstly: these could just be rumours. I’m NOT making the allegation that something shady took place. The gym could re-open on July 10th, as promised. But i’m not holding my breath. Apparently Miracle is/was a pretty reputable, well-known gym, but this kinda thing happens pretty often in China, and from what i’ve been told, in Chengdu in particular.

Anyone a (former) member or know anything?

Participant

How hard is it to own/operate a gym? I seen allot of shading things going around when sales associate signs up new members. Nothing seems to be legit like the ones in the states.

Participant

How hard is it to own/operate a gym? I seen allot of shading things going around when sales associate signs up new members. Nothing seems to be legit like the ones in the states.

Participant
    Participant
    Participant

Today a student told me that spas often do the same thing; he said hos parents paid for a one year family membership, which cost more than 10K, and a few weeks later the place was empty…

Re: my gym: i only had a few months left, so it doesn’t hurt too much, and as i said, until i get confirmation, i can’t spread any rumours or make accusations…but you may see some pretty cool gym equipment for sale soon!

Participant

Today a student told me that spas often do the same thing; he said hos parents paid for a one year family membership, which cost more than 10K, and a few weeks later the place was empty…

Re: my gym: i only had a few months left, so it doesn’t hurt too much, and as i said, until i get confirmation, i can’t spread any rumours or make accusations…but you may see some pretty cool gym equipment for sale soon!

Participant

I signed up for the gym on BaBaoJie with some friends a while ago. The one next to the vegetarian restaurant — near the end of our first year, the owner did a surprise close’n’dash.

The problem was we had lockers. The m’fer stole my shoes! A buddy lost pants/shoes. Tip: Don’t rent lockers to store your gear unless you’re at a definitively ‘will not close’ bigger/branded gym. I seriously doubt RenHe’s Ozone will close in this fashion, but I also heard they jacked up the annual fee to like 4k/yr..I got mine for 6k/3yr.

Participant

I signed up for the gym on BaBaoJie with some friends a while ago. The one next to the vegetarian restaurant — near the end of our first year, the owner did a surprise close’n’dash.

The problem was we had lockers. The m’fer stole my shoes! A buddy lost pants/shoes. Tip: Don’t rent lockers to store your gear unless you’re at a definitively ‘will not close’ bigger/branded gym. I seriously doubt RenHe’s Ozone will close in this fashion, but I also heard they jacked up the annual fee to like 4k/yr..I got mine for 6k/3yr.

Participant

Im starting to like my little hole in the wall gym thats partners with my apt complex. 1800 for a year, has a swimming pool, sauna (steam room), shitty weight sets (i dont use because its adjacent to the pool.. and no one cleans them) and a tennis court. That place complements my living room gym.

Sorry for dudes getting ripped off from gym memberships. And sorry for lost shoes. One thing should be kept in mind, if gym memberships are a fraction of the real-estate, then there could be issues.

Participant

Im starting to like my little hole in the wall gym thats partners with my apt complex. 1800 for a year, has a swimming pool, sauna (steam room), shitty weight sets (i dont use because its adjacent to the pool.. and no one cleans them) and a tennis court. That place complements my living room gym.

Sorry for dudes getting ripped off from gym memberships. And sorry for lost shoes. One thing should be kept in mind, if gym memberships are a fraction of the real-estate, then there could be issues.

Participant

RE: “if gym memberships are a fraction of the real-estate”

Absolutely. Actually I don’t know if Ray’s gym had this same situation, but before that old gym I went to closed down they had a mad marketing campaign with hugely discounted memberships.

I suggest if you see a hugely discounted big marketing campaign for a gym, they’re looking for quick cash for boss to grab up n bolt.

Participant

RE: “if gym memberships are a fraction of the real-estate”

Absolutely. Actually I don’t know if Ray’s gym had this same situation, but before that old gym I went to closed down they had a mad marketing campaign with hugely discounted memberships.

I suggest if you see a hugely discounted big marketing campaign for a gym, they’re looking for quick cash for boss to grab up n bolt.

Ray, have you been back to the premises since to see if they’re hard at work on a refit?

I’ve heard a few scare stories of gyms closing here, but it is also an industry practice to adjust prices steeply on a seasonal basis. Winter months for gyms can be dire business, particularly if they don’t already have a strong member base, and it’s not uncommon to see drastically reduced rates at these times.

I had something very similar happen to me a few years back when I was running a gym for it’s absentee owner. Unbeknownst to me he hadn’t been paying rent on the premise for several months (£18,000 monthly!), thanks to a gregarious coke habit. I was given 2 days notice before myself, and all of my members were out on our arses. I had the last laugh though, and managed to re-enter the premise with friends and ship out every last piece of equipment to a dealer within a single day. So sad to see the place go, we had some 25 year members in there still kicking it!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.