Any Sitar players in Chengdu?

HomeForumsClassifiedsPersonalsAny Sitar players in Chengdu?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

A few months ago a friend generously donated his old sitar to me when he upgraded to a better one. I’ve been playing guitar for a few years and am pretty comfortable on that but would love to move over to sitar. The issue is that the friend is no longer in Chengdu and I don’t really have much of a clue of what I’m doing. Another issue is that I don’t think my sitar is in tune and need some help with that.

Are there any sitar players in Chengdu who would be willing to show me the ropes? I don’t mind paying. If this sounds like you or you know someone, email me: [email protected]

Thanks!

Participant

Man, the only place i ever saw a sitar player in Du was at jah bar, think it was kinda a spontaneous jam. Anyway, jah bar bossman may know someone. if anybody would know, that cat would…..

Keymaster

Great suggestion, thanks. Next time I’m in Jah Bar I’ll definitely ask.

Participant

Yeah, might be a long shot, but that dude knows alot of the local musos, and he’s super-cool…

Keymaster

Agree totally. I asked Lili (Jah bar proprietor) the other day and he said he only knew one guy (Dave). He’s the same who gave me the sitar and he hasn’t been in Chengdu for 6 months 🙁

I’ll keep asking around though, I was thinking Douglas (Li Daiguo) would be a good person to ask.

Participant

Last night I met an Austrian living in Beijing named Walter who plays sitar/guitar professionally. He said he played with Li Daiguo at Little Bar two years ago and is in in Chengdu for about a week now.

Walter told me that at the Indian Consulate in Beijing they offer FREE lessons for Sitar, Tabla, Indian singing belly-dance etc. What a great opportunity for cultural exchange. The only thing you hear about the US. Consulate is horror stories of Chinese friends getting denied travel visas!

Might be worth looking into the Indian consulate cultural exchange programs, pack up your sitar and live in a hostel in Beijing for a week or two. I’m probably going to chill with Walter this weekend I’ll let you know when we do.

Keymaster

No kidding, free lessons at the Indian consulate? That is a great program. Looking forward to meeting this guy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Personals’ is closed to new topics and replies.