Any thoughts on the current tensions?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAny thoughts on the current tensions?

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Author

@Vic

Your last image is a product of photoshop. Only the 5 boats in the front are real. Whoever did it knows decent PS, but doesn’t know perspective well, the boats in the far background don’t shrink fast enough compared to the distance to the horizon.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I think letting images speak is the best thing, so here it goes:

Water fight!! We were joking about this last night. Taiwan should collaborate with Super Soaker to bring their water gun arsenal into the 21st century. That would really show Japan.

Participant

Taiwan spoke out about firing at Japanese boats if Japan didn’t allow Taiwan fishermen to freely fish in the waters, my thoughts are like…….

Taiwan may be trying to stoke the fire. They wont actually want a fight, they’ll just start one between two bigger dogs and let them go at it, meanwhile seeking their own agenda. Taiwan maybe throws a few pot shots, leaves, China finds a legitimate reason to “back up” Taiwan, shit starts between China and Japan, Taiwan pushes hard for their own agenda – like, say, independence. ”If Taiwan fishermen want to go on the island, a special forces team will also first board the fishing vessel and protect the fishermen, stopping any Japanese ships, absolutely not allowing the Japanese side to arrest Taiwan fishermen. He indicated that if the Japanese side were to arrest any fishermen, the Taiwanese side would not rule out opening fire.

By the way, in the water fight videos/pictures, is it just me or did the Taiwan “water cannon” not really make it all the way to the Japanese boats – and in some cases, not fire in the right direction?

I’m dying laughing at the photo’s of water cannons right now. Jeez people are retarded.

Keymaster

This might turn out to be an interesting development: China 1950 Paper Says Senkakus Are Japans. I wonder what the response to this will be.

I can only say one thing,

That document is probably as authentic as the birth certificate they created for the 12 year old gymnast at the 2008 Olympics, The Chinese are master document forgers, I wonder what other old documents will find their way out of the past to verify China’s claims to the ENTIRE South China Sea.

“Breaking News: China discovers document from 1655 that says the

entire world is China’s” But wait the ink on the document isn’t dry yet. After doing business in Chengdu and working for local companies in several cities in China, trust is difficult to come by, virtually non-existent!

Participant

@Dave

Why would they create a document that destroys their entire claim? Did you read the post Charlie linked….or even the text he wrote, or just see “document” and hit reply calling it fake without any context?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    That document is probably as authentic as the birth certificate they created for the 12 year old gymnast at the 2008 Olympics

I think you’re misunderstanding Dave, the document was discovered by Japanese and it proves that in 1950 China recognized the islands as Japanese.

Rick, my reasons are from a “face or Mianzi” prospective. Every country involved left themselves no room for backing down or changing their stance on ownership claims. If any of the three countries stepped back even 1/5th of 1/8 of a centimeter then the populace would direct its anger at the political establishment for letting down the nation.

Suddenly a document appears from thin air. Now there is stepping away and re-stancing space for all parties involved.

This is not a new issue between these countries I find it hard to believe they JUST discovered this document. For or against whoever’s claims, its strange on the timing.

Rick we are going to have to agree that we disagree.

Cheers

I gotta agree with Tall Dave here. Even more so, because even if they did ‘just discover’ this document, they would not have released it if it was not in their interest to release it. There is no FOIA in China and this wasn’t some sort of wikileaks. No bureaucrat would just find it and release it on his own, he’d be executed. No, this was a “18nth national congress is over, political transition is over, oh shit do we really want to be in a game of chicken with the US and Japan? Guess not” leak. I’m sure there will be another fabricated distraction for the next one, or the next time the economy is looking like it’s in trouble.

I’m just waiting for the apology……

indians.jpg

Participant

@Dave/Maxsimal

The article says Beijing did not make the document public – implying it was discovered by someone outside of Beijing. Do you really think they “save face” by having their entire multi-decade claim destroyed by their own historical documentation? Wouldn’t it make more sense to seek compromise and hopefully end up with *something* out of the deal, than to create a document that likely leaves them with no leg to stand on? I think the logical fallacy of your pessimistic presumption that they would sabotage their own argument for the sake of mianzi is crazy, it doesn’t “save” any face, it makes them look extremely bull-headed and deceptive, intentionally lying and covering up truths in order to get something they internally know isn’t theirs. How that “saves face” is beyond me.

Rick, its purely about wiggle room to back out of a completely unsolvable situation. War would decimate the economies of already faltering Asian economies.

China is holding on by a thread, with over 70,000 civil unrest incidents last year alone. If their exports stopped or the banking remittance through Taiwanese financial institutions ceased or foreign producers left the country and shut down the manufacturing facilities, civil unrest would be uncontrollable.

So I give you two choices, lose power in a civil uprising or unearth a lost document to let your nation back down from a school yard fight. Your choice, A or B.

The letters FOIA in Maxsimals post stand for: Freedom of Information Act.

A system in the United Sates that allows ordinary citizens to ask in writing for release of documents held by governments on the local, state or national level.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.