Anybody in West Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduAnybody in West Chengdu?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Specifically around the university area, or out along Ruilian Lu to the third ring road. I’ve occasionally caught sight of people in the distance, like sasquatches in the night, but have not actually run into anyone. It would be nice to have some English speakers to hang out with without having to travel for an hour! (It’s possible I’m slowly going insane here)

Participant

Define “west chengdu.” I am at the intersection of Rennan and Linjiang, so could conceivably be considered kind of close to West Chengdu, depending how far West you are!

Also, a bike helps cut the travel time down IMMENSELY.

Participant

Like I said, out by the third ring road. Anyone around Jinsha or the Southwest Economics University. There must be English speakers and things to do outside Yulin/Tongzilin.

I considered a bike but there’s no way I would bike around Chinese drivers. I’ve been in Asia a while and seen enough people killed on bikes. Not for me.

Participant

I live in the west, though much more (north) west than you. Tongzilin and Yulin repulse me. Overcharging people for normal shit seems to be their M.O. If you wanna drink some brews or pao jiu sometime message me. ;p

Participant

@Goatboy: I live in Yu Lin and now I feel sad. I’m jealous of your street cred….

Participant

I live in the west, though much more (north) west than you. Tongzilin and Yulin repulse me. Overcharging people for normal shit seems to be their M.O. If you wanna drink some brews or pao jiu sometime message me. ;p

I used to live in PiXian and would often (like at least once a month) travel over an hour to Tongzilin to drink beers not named XueHua and eat food that comes from places not called Sichuan. I know I’m a wuss and a sucker, but I’m glad that there are some real OGs on the Northwest side like Goatboy who keep it real.

Participant

Word on the street is that MS-13 running North ‘Du these days….?

Actually YuLin still has an old-school back-street vibe in some places. And bargains can be found too:
    Bananas: 2.5 kuai for yi jin (sensational value!!!)
    Lychees: 5 kuai for half a kilo
    Buzzcut: 10 kuai (and a street dude who will do it for 7 (!!!)
    Community bus: free (you gotta swipe, but it’s free!)

Participant

I have nothing against the foreign establishments in the south. Mike’s, the Pug, etc. those are all great, I just don’t go. It’s the chinese places around there that rip you off. (36 yuan for a bowl of noodles and 2 luke-warm beers… :/ )

Participant

Oh, and trust me Ray, my street cred in these parts amounts to being “that white guy who drinks too much.” If you knew how pathetic my life really is….! haha

Participant

@Goatboy: I got you beat. I’m the guy who is known for flipping the bird at local imbeciles and (according to what the security guards told my girlfriend) “never smiles or says hello” 🙂

Keymaster

There are foreigners in that area, but they are transient students. I can’t imagine someone really wanting to live there for a long time because that region doesn’t have much to offer over other areas of the city.

If you don’t like one place, go to another. There’s tons of everything in Yulin and Tongzilin, including and especially restaurants. It is more expensive than other districts of the city because it’s a more desirable place to live which can command a higher price for everything from food to rent. If you’re looking for cheap and remote place in Chengdu there are certainly plenty of those.

Participant

hey jcdenton – I live right around there, just north of 优品道 at the corner of Ruilian Lu and Beisen Nan Lu. Would be nice to have some nearby English speakers to chill with.

Feel free to add me on WeChat – gaofei122076

-Godfrey

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.